• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

SDCC 100 Error variant - AAGGHHH :ohnoez:

I am about burned out completely on The Walking Dead at this point. Glad I sold my CGC graded and signed #1,2 and 3 already along with my 9.8 #19 near the high points of eBay sales a few months ago.

I am on the fence with selling everything else at this point. If they announce 1 more #100 cover or variant I think I am done. I may have a nice for sale thread here shortly with the rest of my run with sharp raw copies of issues 4-99 along with a 9.8 SS #10 and the rest of my original artwork and that signed #1 11" X 17" print of the cast.

Seeing that new box set being offered just pisses me off and I think the fun is gone, I have always wanted to collect pre-code horror books and now may be a good time to look into the switch.

It's rare that we agree on anything, but I'm 100% with Brendan on this point. I can't understand why Kirkman would allow more variants. All they are doing is harming the retailers who need to sell the initial variants solicited by Diamond. :boo: Now there's a sketch variant of the Otley cover, a blank cover, a black and red cover and I don't even know who is producing these books, what the print run on these items will be or where to start looking for them. It was in poor taste in my opinion to do this to retailers and fans who have supported the comic over the years. (tsk)

Nobody is forcing you to buy these books. As far as im concerned, retailers should be happy as heck. My LCS makes good money off WD. Upped his order. And more people come into the shop because of walking dead. Fans should be happy that a series they like reached 100 issues and is still going strong.

You are 100% right that no one is forcing me to buy them, but I when I actively collect a series I want one copy of ever cover / variant if possible.

This is just kind of the icing on the cake, the art has gone down hill a ton the last couple years, and I feel like the story behind the comic just doesn't have a lot really left in it to be told.

I will probably wait until the show is back on to take advantage of a better time to sell and unload then. I think most of us agree that a lot of the hype will eventually die down especially once the show runs it course and this would be a good time to sell and reinvest into something else I will enjoy long term like some pre-code horror or some nice silver age books which are hard to go wrong with.

Yes, the amount of variants is ridiculous. One reason I stopped trying to collect on one of my favorite all time books is because of multiple covers. If you are the type that has to have every cover, then I can see why this would be an issue. But you can get over it. YET, if you think the art sucks and the story is not doing it for you anymore, then maybe it is time to move onto something else. (shrug)

I was upset back when Tony left the book and still think the current art is . Just what I think. But I still read it. Sure, there are lows and highs, but for a book that is now on the 100th issue...what else could be expected? Hang in there, Brendan. This could just be one of those lows for you in the run and can always change...as a reader. Now, as you being a collector of covers, not sure where this book is going with that, but if this multiple cover stuff is going to be an ongoing thing on a smaller scale, you may be facing further disappointment.

As long as I have just one cover to read, it's all good, bro. Give it several more issues and see where it goes. (thumbs u

Edited by FIREFLY

The variants are annoying, but not a reason to quit the book. That's just silly. If they bother you, buy the standard 'Something to Fear' cover and call it a day.

I'm by no means not going to read the title, I just don't like the additional variants (unless they are convention variants, e.g., the red and black cover is for the VIP Chicago Convention - I can accept that). Image knows that there are a lot of fans who want every cover and its just not cool to do that to them. It happens all the time (e.g., the b/w Thief of Thieves No. 1 Comicspro variant) and every time it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

:censored:

I think the one with the lower logo was the image diamond initially promoted. The design with the logo under the "100" is the correct cover.

:wishluck: I sure hope I don't have to hunt another variant :facepalm:

The variants are annoying, but not a reason to quit the book. That's just silly. If they bother you, buy the standard 'Something to Fear' cover and call it a day.

Image knows that there are a lot of fans who want every cover and its just not cool to do that to them.

Image is a business. They are in the business to make money. For every Walking Dead, there are 10 Epic Kills. So, they better make money off the titles that are insanely popular. The number of completists is minuscule compared to the number of people who don't need every cover, variant, error, etc. No one is forcing you to buy these, and we all know they will go down in price if you wait. If being a completist leaves a bad taste in your mouth, don't be one.

Edited by Hawkman

The comicspro variants don't always go down and the Saga RRP doesn't look like it's going down ... I'd probably feel better about it if I knew where I could buy them, what the print run was, etc. I think the bad taste in my mouth is caused by the fear of how much $ I'm going to have to shell out for these books. lol

Hey is there anyone who can help me out with trying to sub 3 Walking Dead comics via Modern Fast Track? I no longer have an active membership. If you can help me out please PM me and I will owe you one (Can help you with getting Walking Dead signatures or whatnot).

The comicspro variants don't always go down and the Saga RRP doesn't look like it's going down ... I'd probably feel better about it if I knew where I could buy them, what the print run was, etc. I think the bad taste in my mouth is caused by the fear of how much $ I'm going to have to shell out for these books. lol

those variants are still fairly new. We all know these prices will fall. Sure, we might have to wait a year, or a few, but they will drop. If you want them now, so do other people. Just comes with it.

Trust me, i'm in the same boat as far as WD #100 is concerned. i want them all, but i'm gonna wait on some of them. But that's a choice I've made, and i know there may come moments where it would be way easier if i was good with just one copy.

those variants are still fairly new. We all know these prices will fall. Sure, we might have to wait a year, or a few, but they will drop. If you want them now, so do other people. Just comes with it.

Trust me, i'm in the same boat as far as WD #100 is concerned. i want them all, but i'm gonna wait on some of them. But that's a choice I've made, and i know there may come moments where it would be way easier if i was good with just one copy.

:roflmao: I know that feeling

Edited by Nico Esq

Yay more variants! Has it been a full day yet since the last was announced?

I love the Walking Dead - it got me back into reading comics 9 years ago.

I have to disagree with the chap that said there is no profit to be made in moderns.

If you buy every issue of a series - say Preacher - you have been lucky enough to enjoy a great read and will be able to sell #3-60 for cover when you have finished.

#2 gets you a 2-3x profit and Preacher #1 is now a $75 - $100 comic and has been for a few years.

I guess its all relative but $3 into $100 sounds like a good deal to me.

I purely collect moderns - I pre-order #1's only and store them to the best of my ability.

Sometimes I get lucky.

Thanks to a very generous dealer with too much stock I was able to buy Alpha Girl and Peter Panzerfaust #1's slabbed CGC 9.8's for $70 delivered from USA to Australia.

I think thats a great deal,I doubt if the dealer covered his expenses so kudos to him for his generous spirit.

If they aren't succesful (Alpha Girl is on print run 3 I think, PP on its second) then I have 10 copies raw bought at cover price that I can sell to cover my original costs.

Thats break even - I get to enjoy the comics and I'm not out of pocket.

When they are successful like :

Walking Dead

Thief of Thieves

Chew

Y - The Last Man

Then there is a tidy profit to be had for foresight at buying them at time of issue.

Newer ones such as:

Saga

Manhattan Projects

Nonplayer are all happily tracking at 3rd - 4th prints with 1st print #1's at $30 - $40 per issue at least.

Older (!!) ones like:

Preacher

100 Bullets

Watchmen etc are $50 - $100 and have been for 5 years.

So I guess if you buy moderns at cover you won't make a loss and could turn a modest profit overall - whilst still enjoying great stories.

I have pre-ordered:

Revival

Punk Rock Jesus

Think Tank

Fashion Beast for those very reasons, and I am stocking up on The Vault ($3 - $5 J.Depp has aquired film rights), The Red Star ($8 - $20 was $3-$8 6 weeks ago - movie has green light), Zombies v Robots (2 films in production - one a Dolph Lundgren vehicle ;-( but the other a major studio) and the Irredeemable Ant-Man (as after Black Panther, it's next to be made and the word is that Ant-Man is going to be 'a shield agent with extra armour and weapons) so that must include the O'Grady Antman so at $1 a NM copy atm you cant go wrong!

And you get to read the comics.

Sweet deals all round to me. (thumbs u

Yes and with today's tech, it's generally easier to eventually make informed decisions, unlike before the intarwebs and cell phones. And cellphones with the intarwebs.

But, back to walking dead. The Ottley sketch, anyone know what's up with that one?

Edited by Zaitsev

I've heard that the ottley sketch will most likely be given away to attendees of skybound's sdcc retailer breakfast on saturday at sdcc. That's at least what my lcs told me.

I heard that there will be a pancake eating contest and the winner will get the ottley sketch.

I've heard that the ottley sketch will most likely be given away to attendees of skybound's sdcc retailer breakfast on saturday at sdcc. That's at least what my lcs told me.

I heard that there will be a pancake eating contest and the winner will get the ottley sketch.

They should make it a raw meat-eating contest, what with this being zombies & all...

But in order to get the black blank cover you need to come dressed as an albino giraffe.

But in order to get the black blank cover you need to come dressed as an albino giraffe.

*wonders if I could get away with wearing my white horse outfit instead*