• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Most newbs who want to read it will go for the trades. I really don't see everyday fans spending whatever the going rate is for a #1 who weren't already collecting the series prior. Especially those that will be turned off by the differences in storylines. All they have known is the show canon, not the comic canon.

Say what you want about this theory, I really don't see how the rising prices of the books are not going to be prohibitive to the average fan, tv or comic.

I love the walking dead, read it from the start, but I will never own another #1 because once it went for more than $500, I'm out. I especially don't have over $2k for a 9.8. It's ok, yes I did have multiples at one time but they helped with putting out my first comic.

But these insane prices are mostly due to speculators and short term investors due to small print runs.

Just my thoughts. Take for what it is.

I'm one of those newbies that watched the show, never liked comics, and knew I had to have a #1. I was also really attracted to the fact that the comic is completely different for the most part from the show. When the season ended, I needed a WD fix, and the comic was it. Perhaps people underestimate the market.

And in regards to the "speculators" on the copy that just sold for 2K, I don't know a buyer/investor on here who is shortsighted enough to do that. I can't fathom that was a boardie. My money's on a converted fan. There are what, like 7,500 copies? I'm sure people were saying this when the comic hit $500.

Edited by ComicsNYC22

I'm one of those newbies that watched the show, never liked comics, and knew I had to have a #1. I was also really attracted to the fact that the comic is completely different for the most part from the show. When the season ended, I needed a WD fix, and the comic was it. Perhaps people underestimate the market.

And in regards to the "speculators" on the copy that just sold for 2K, I don't know a buyer/investor on here who is shortsighted enough to do that. I can't fathom that was a boardie. My money's on a converted fan. There are what, like 7,500 copies? I'm sure people were saying this when the comic hit $500.

Did you read comics before, or did you start after the show (as in comics as a whole, not just the walking dead).

Edited by DeafMuteComics

Did you read comics before, or did you start after the show (as in comics as a whole, not just the walking dead).

Not only did I never read them, I usually made fun of people that did...

I think TWD helped articulate to me that good stories can come from everywhere. I'm really into art, so perhaps the thought of owning something coveted paralleled the same way owning an original piece from an artist feels. Speaking of art, I finally bought an original piece of art from the book, and had a long dinner with Charlie at SDCC and got a nice Tyrese sketch.

Not saying that all converters from the show are like me. Most aren't. But I bought the trades, read them in literally 3 days and was hooked. Easy. It's a hell of a book contrary to some of the criticism on the boards.

And in terms of variants, just letting everyone know from a newbies standpoint that I don't understand them at all. I get the different covers, but owning 1's enough. It's the same exact story, right? Why on earth people are paying $700 for the Ottley 100 variant when you can put that towards a #1, or nice piece of art from Mark is interesting to me.

And that is a very reasonable point, there are a lot of people here buying and flipping books but not one single person here is spending 2k because they think they'll turn it into $2500. Hell I'm the biggest #1 believer on these boards, who believes in 6 weeks that it will be a $2500 book and I wouldn't even think about paying that. This sells for 2k, the last was 1,900 and the last was $1750...I honestly believe it's just the under bidders of the previous auctions stepping up a little bit, to secure what they want so bad.

Jim

And that is a very reasonable point, there are a lot of people here buying and flipping books but not one single person here is spending 2k because they think they'll turn it into $2500. Hell I'm the biggest #1 believer on these boards, who believes in 6 weeks that it will be a $2500 book and I wouldn't even think about paying that. This sells for 2k, the last was 1,900 and the last was $1750...I honestly believe it's just the under bidders of the previous auctions stepping up a little bit, to secure what they want so bad.

Jim

There's a stack of boardies whose entire business model is built up around doing just that.

How do you think all the SA dealers suddenly got a hold of their slabbed WDs? I can guarantee you they didn't buy those books back when they first came out - they've bought them within the last year, paid top dollar and are assuming that prices continue to climb. A $500 profit on a $2k book isn't something to scoff at when you know that the market is there and you won't have any problems moving the books.

Most newbs who want to read it will go for the trades. I really don't see everyday fans spending whatever the going rate is for a #1 who weren't already collecting the series prior. Especially those that will be turned off by the differences in storylines. All they have known is the show canon, not the comic canon.

Say what you want about this theory, I really don't see how the rising prices of the books are not going to be prohibitive to the average fan, tv or comic.

I love the walking dead, read it from the start, but I will never own another #1 because once it went for more than $500, I'm out. I especially don't have over $2k for a 9.8. It's ok, yes I did have multiples at one time but they helped with putting out my first comic.

But these insane prices are mostly due to speculators and short term investors due to small print runs.

I completely agree.

I've been reading the comic for almost five years now. I started collecting the "back issues" after I was reading it for about two years, and I almost made a complete run.

I'm only missing 1 - 4, but I stopped just before prices went up excessively. It sucks that I don't have them - but I'm not paying more than my perception of their value for them. I started buying original art from the series because I didn't want to fork over the money for the first four issue. Unfortunately the "saving money" part didn't really pan out on that.

I think when prices on raw issue 1's comes down around $500 I'll buy one.

I completely agree.

I've been reading the comic for almost five years now. I started collecting the "back issues" after I was reading it for about two years, and I almost made a complete run.

I'm only missing 1 - 4, but I stopped just before prices went up excessively. It sucks that I don't have them - but I'm not paying more than my perception of their value for them. I started buying original art from the series because I didn't want to fork over the money for the first four issue. Unfortunately the "saving money" part didn't really pan out on that.

To replace the books I sold, I just got the weeklies. Help I've been paying cover for them too.

I completely agree.

To replace the books I sold, I just got the weeklies. Help I've been paying cover for them too.

I had copies of the first four issues of the weeklies to fill the gap - but I sold them when prices on the weeklies peaked. I couldn't help it. I already have the hardcovers....

I completely agree.

A decent copy will never,ever go down to $500 again.

I completely agree.

I don't agree. Bubble aside, $500 is still A LOT of money. I think that the prices of issue #1s of all these other new "hot" series have gone to to peoples heads.

Its 10 years old now - hardly a 'new' series.

I get that $500 is a lot of money for some - I really do.

It just means that those people will not be able to buy them, just as the likes of myself cannot afford a GA key.

There are too many people who will just hold onto them, and 7000 copies (minus ones that have just 'disappeared' or are of a very poor condition) will keep a residual value.

I guess if we knew what would happen in five years then both of us would be rich!

One thing I will say is that for every person buying one for $2000, there are 3 others paying less.

I now own 4 TWD #1's all 9.6+.

They cost on average $400 each.

Other like Jeff and Jim paid much less as they got in early.Fair play to them.

The number of people paying $2000 is quite small and I would be very suprised if they were nothing more than people who wanted a nice one and that $2000 was small change to them.

Just like a $60,000 comic is to others.

I hope you find a nice copy soon :foryou:

The problem is, I was considering buying one to replace the one I sold a while back, when I fell on hard times, but at $2 it look like I am going to be priced out for a while. :(

I guess I wil just have to keep my eyes open for a bargain or two :/

Its 10 years old now - hardly a 'new' series.

I get that $500 is a lot of money for some - I really do.

It just means that those people will not be able to buy them, just as the likes of myself cannot afford a GA key.

There are too many people who will just hold onto them, and 7000 copies (minus ones that have just 'disappeared' or are of a very poor condition) will keep a residual value.

I guess if we knew what would happen in five years then both of us would be rich!

One thing I will say is that for every person buying one for $2000, there are 3 others paying less.

I now own 4 TWD #1's all 9.6+.

They cost on average $400 each.

Other like Jeff and Jim paid much less as they got in early.Fair play to them.

The number of people paying $2000 is quite small and I would be very suprised if they were nothing more than people who wanted a nice one and that $2000 was small change to them.

Just like a $60,000 comic is to others.

I hope you find a nice copy soon :foryou:

I did not say TWD was new, I said that OTHER new series, like Thief of Thieves, Revival, Saga, ect, ect, have made people "believe" that #1 issues appreciate in value like none other.

People are holding on to them now because prices are still rising. Lets see who's still holding on when prices start to go down.

"One thing I will say is that for every person buying one for $2000, there are 3 others paying less." - Exactly why the price will NOT keep escalating forever.

"The number of people paying $2000 is quite small and I would be very suprised if they were nothing more than people who wanted a nice one and that $2000 was small change to them."

- It was mentioned above, but to clarify: a Very small percentage of people buying them at this price want "just a nice one". It's speculators selling to investors at this price level.

I completely agree.

Totally Agree. Walking dead is a revolution and not going anywhere anytime soon

Jim

There's a stack of boardies whose entire business model is built up around doing just that.

How do you think all the SA dealers suddenly got a hold of their slabbed WDs? I can guarantee you they didn't buy those books back when they first came out - they've bought them within the last year, paid top dollar and are assuming that prices continue to climb. A $500 profit on a $2k book isn't something to scoff at when you know that the market is there and you won't have any problems moving the books.

I agree Mike, but only to a certain extent. If it's a pretty good bet at $500 profit on a $2k book, sure, lots of dealer would do it. But, if it's someone counting on selling through Ebay or some other 10% cost selling venue, then that scenario becomes a lot less attractive. If your profit is only $250 or so on a $2500 sale, that's a lot of risk to take on a $2k outlay.

I think it's odd that the prices have ramped up leading up to the new season, but I'm not shocked. Could be people who are getting caught up on the seasons via DVD/Netflix. Could be people who thought the #1s would dip in price over the summer and they're trying to get in or get back into this book.

I'm not saying it will go up forever or that current sales don't reflect a speculation premium. However, IMHO, the recent sales are more likely to be genuine.