• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

What number is huge? 1 k, 5 k considering the print runs of the regular issues is jumping higher and higher? The census isn't giving me much to go on.

I'd say 5K is probably going to be the low # on these.

I thought these were given away to all attendees of the Wizard World shows. If you figure the NY one had 40K attendees, i figure they'd be printing at least that. But I have no actual idea, just guessing.

:winnah:

There's no chance the print run of any of these variants is less than 10k.

If so, then why did they do second prints on the Portland variants? Is maybe this one way underprinted compared to the others?

If by underprinted, you mean less than, say, 5,000 copies, I don't think that's the case at all - but the Portland variant was not only the first one they did, it also premiered at one of the small Wizard World shows. As far as I know, no other shows have run out of copies to give away ...

In my opinion, they never should have printed the mailed out copies as "second print" 2c

I'd like to know why these even went out at all...

From my understanding, they ran out of copies to cover all in attendance, and mailed them to those who didn't get a copy. From what I've seen, it appears they were packed horribly, just thrown in a plain mailer, no bags or extra boards :facepalm:

If the print run was so high then why don't you see more than 300 completed sales on ebay? Wouldn't it be closer to 4 k by now?

Revival #1 had a print run of around 18,000 - are there thousands of completed sales of that book on eBay?

No but there are roughly 10 percent of Revival #1's that have been listed on ebay. I just haven't seen anything close to a fraction of 10 percent of the wizard world variants on ebay yet. In fact there are less than 1 k total completed sales and there has been 4 covers so far. Its a little suspect if these were as highly printed as everyone thinks

Could it possibly have anything to do with the fact that there are probably thousands of copies sitting at CGC at this very moment? Between blue labels and SS copies, the market will be getting flooded very, very soon. (thumbs u

What number is huge? 1 k, 5 k considering the print runs of the regular issues is jumping higher and higher? The census isn't giving me much to go on.

I'd say 5K is probably going to be the low # on these.

I thought these were given away to all attendees of the Wizard World shows. If you figure the NY one had 40K attendees, i figure they'd be printing at least that. But I have no actual idea, just guessing.

:winnah:

There's no chance the print run of any of these variants is less than 10k.

If so, then why did they do second prints on the Portland variants? Is maybe this one way underprinted compared to the others?

If by underprinted, you mean less than, say, 5,000 copies, I don't think that's the case at all - but the Portland variant was not only the first one they did, it also premiered at one of the small Wizard World shows. As far as I know, no other shows have run out of copies to give away ...

In my opinion, they never should have printed the mailed out copies as "second print" 2c

I'd like to know why these even went out at all...

From my understanding, they ran out of copies to cover all in attendance, and mailed them to those who didn't get a copy. From what I've seen, it appears they were packed horribly, just thrown in a plain mailer, no bags or extra boards :facepalm:

If that's the case, then the print should about equal the number of attendees.

Just stopping in for a question, say I find a large amount of cash to snag a hero initiative , if I sub it to cgc will it get a green or yellow label? I know the artist only did one but cgc did not witness it. What you guys think ?

+1 on what everyone else said. The auctions give you the option to have HI send it directly to CGC to get graded and will receive a yellow label:

BONUS: If you are the winning bidder, at your discretion, CGC, the Certified Guaranty Company, will grade and encapsulate your book under its prestigious Signature Series for FREE. The CGC label will not only state the grade, but it will say who drew and signed the comic, the date that it was signed, that it was signed for the Hero Initiative, and all pertinent key and art comments. This is a $34 to $250 value, and you need pay ONLY $11 for return shipping for EACH book submitted. Your book will be sent DIRECTLY to CGC by the Hero Initiative, and returned to you upon its being graded and encapsulated.

The latest batch ends today. Are you hoping to pick one up?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=290936841519&_from=R40&_sacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_ssn=heroinitiative&_nkw=walking+dead&_sop=1

Edited by bffnut

If the print run was so high then why don't you see more than 300 completed sales on ebay? Wouldn't it be closer to 4 k by now?

Revival #1 had a print run of around 18,000 - are there thousands of completed sales of that book on eBay?

No but there are roughly 10 percent of Revival #1's that have been listed on ebay. I just haven't seen anything close to a fraction of 10 percent of the wizard world variants on ebay yet. In fact there are less than 1 k total completed sales and there has been 4 covers so far. Its a little suspect if these were as highly printed as everyone thinks

Now you're just making *spoon* up - there has been nothing even remotely close to 1,800 Revival #1 auctions on eBay :doh:

That sounds about right to me. So the total population of these issues is not rare, but I imagine High Grade copies (9.6+) are?

Without actually knowing how many second prints were distributed, it's hard to say. I've been watching ebay for portland second prints, to fill the eventual hole in my set, and the copies I've seen there have been pretty bad. On the last few that popped up, two had tears in the front cover, and the third was dinged badly on the corner and had scuffs from the book sliding around in the mailer.

That's not to say that there could be quite a few 9.8 quality books out there that are just sitting in someone's WD stack (shrug) If any one spots a 9.8 candidate, by all means, let me know ;)

That sounds about right to me. So the total population of these issues is not rare, but I imagine High Grade copies (9.6+) are?

Without actually knowing how many second prints were distributed, it's hard to say. I've been watching ebay for portland second prints, to fill the eventual hole in my set, and the copies I've seen there have been pretty bad. On the last few that popped up, two had tears in the front cover, and the third was dinged badly on the corner and had scuffs from the book sliding around in the mailer.

That's not to say that there could be quite a few 9.8 quality books out there that are just sitting in someone's WD stack (shrug) If any one spots a 9.8 candidate, by all means, let me know ;)

I was speaking more to the first prints.

I'll let you know when I see a 9.8 on the second print...at least AFTER I get mine! lol

Yeah the Second Print I got ended up having a tiny tear at the very top corner which is obviously going to impact its grade if/when I get around to grading it I've not really seen many 9.8 candidates of it

Edited by krazykris7

I have no idea I'd hope they'd be at least 9.6 although to be honest I don't mind too much about the grade just extremely happy with the sketch and hopefully it'll look just as awesome when I get it!

From the scans it looks like they've been fairly careful though

Also welcome to the boards dude!