• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

You Walking Dead OA collectors are going to be in big trouble if the new inker inks over Adlard bluelines/scans - then not only will the issues be coming out twice as often, there'll be a choice of pencils or inks!

I haven't seen mentioned anywhere if this is the case or not, but presumably Mark at splashpage would know...

I really don't know if that's good or bad.......But I thinking, not so good? What are you thinking Balham?

Thank you all!

I started reading comics in 2004 and TWD was one of my regulars. Back then the speculation was Y: The Last Man was going to be the next big thing so I didn't keep any of my TWD books.

:gossip: Y still may very well be the next big thing

You Walking Dead OA collectors are going to be in big trouble if the new inker inks over Adlard bluelines/scans - then not only will the issues be coming out twice as often, there'll be a choice of pencils or inks!

I haven't seen mentioned anywhere if this is the case or not, but presumably Mark at splashpage would know...

I really don't know if that's good or bad.......But I thinking, not so good? What are you thinking Balham?

I think more TWD is always a good thing, but I think you'll see an even bigger premium being paid for pre-48 pages, especially early 11x17's and Moore pieces.

I LOVE the recent pages, and think we've been seeing some great stuff from Charlie, but after my buying spree of a few pre- issue 25 pages, a cover and a Moore commission, I won't be buying anything unless it's really worth it.

Still bummed I missed out on that Issue 1 splash, James J. Every time I see it in your CAF I cry a little :frustrated:

I think more TWD is always a good thing, but I think you'll see an even bigger premium being paid for pre-48 pages, especially early 11x17's and Moore pieces.

I LOVE the recent pages, and think we've been seeing some great stuff from Charlie, but after my buying spree of a few pre- issue 25 pages, a cover and a Moore commission, I won't be buying anything unless it's really worth it.

Still bummed I missed out on that Issue 1 splash, James J. Every time I see it in your CAF I cry a little :frustrated:

I suppose two of each page would be good in one sense as it might be easier for people to get hold of pages given the increase in supply - but bad in that some people would feel that they wanted to get pencils AND inks for a page that they loved, which would be more expensive, and more difficult if more than one person liked it. Also a bit of uncertainty as the market worked out which was worth more, etc.

If Charlie is working in England and the inker is not, it seems likely that it wouldn't be pencils and inks on the same page.

Anyway, this is all pie in the sky - I have no idea how they will do it, and fortunately I'm not a WD art guy myself, so I can just sit back and watch. Just throwing it out there as something you guys might want to consider/talk to Mark about.

I suppose two of each page would be good in one sense as it might be easier for people to get hold of pages given the increase in supply - but bad in that some people would feel that they wanted to get pencils AND inks for a page that they loved, which would be more expensive, and more difficult if more than one person liked it. Also a bit of uncertainty as the market worked out which was worth more, etc.

If Charlie is working in England and the inker is not, it seems likely that it wouldn't be pencils and inks on the same page.

Anyway, this is all pie in the sky - I have no idea how they will do it, and fortunately I'm not a WD art guy myself, so I can just sit back and watch. Just throwing it out there as something you guys might want to consider/talk to Mark about.

It's certainly interesting to discuss, I am spectating too seeing as I have 3 pages from before the price hikes. It's hit a ceiling for me where the pages simply aren't affordable as something to enjoy on the wall compared to my other monetary or collecting priorities. If they are selling though, as mentioned again and again, then they have the pricing right and it won't be coming down until people are no longer buying them. The amount available will have zero effect on it until that happens and Splash now is edging back towards having the same amount as they did in late 2011 and rising. Certainly expecting this to keep rising with the fortnightly releases.

A lot of the earlier interest in 2011 onwards was for pages in the $160 - $200 range when there was a wide choice between around #22 - #90 which has been mostly picked clean. In general it doesn't matter if you only started collecting yesterday it's definitely worth your time introducing yourself to the OA market as a whole to get a better perspective on your own collecting habits.

IMHO it makes the secondary market at auction, if you have the patience for it to come around, so much more attractive. Anything modern that is white hot like TWD seems to instill a sense of urgency in people about their purchases. Get it now before it is gone... and there is a lot of external validation for your purchases as well because it currently has tons of fans. All giving you the thumbs up to anything that is posted so it doesn't seem like there is much of a downside. Truth be told there isn't a downside if you want to live with it on your walls or in your portfolio for keeps and get a great sense of enjoyment. Could be though if you wait a few years for things to die down and tank back to original prices. There are always plenty for sale on Splash, Anthony's, other dealer sites, ebay ... and the amount of pages increases as the book ages... etc etc... It's not going to run away and vanish forever.

The people over on the OA threads put the whole Modern OA / investment thing into perspective quite nicely seeing as they are able to draw on a lot more experience and knowledge.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=48&Number=6445846&Searchpage=4&Main=289275&Words=Walking+Dead+Original+Art+Prices&topic=0&Search=true#Post6445846

The whole thread is certainly worth reading, not just that post.

Just to be clear I'm not saying that everyone is a flipper or trying to invest, just food for thought when considering your purchasing habits if you feel that you always have to BUY IT NOW!!!! :) The OA market is mostly a slow moving beast with a few exceptions. At some point (unless you are only in it for a couple of pages and that is your lot) you have to take a break and think about your focus. Otherwise you are just scratching an itch or looking for that next hit or validation.

The window for you to change your mind on your purchases (i.e. liquidate) is much much smaller than the time you have to make your choices.

The window for you to change your mind on your purchases (i.e. liquidate) is much much smaller than the time you have to make your choices.

Good post Garf, and this is a very good point. My feeling is that the vast majority of people who are buying Walking Dead OA at today's prices will be extremely lucky to ever make their money back, let alone make a profit - which of course presents no problem at all if the idea is to keep it rather than invest in it.

There might be the odd exception for covers etc., but if Kirkman really is going to go to 300 issues then we're barely done with a third of the story. There's no telling how the things that look important or "key" now will stack up once the book is done.

After I'd bought my first WD OA back in the day on Ebay, I "discovered" Mark's website. Even if you don't like and/or can't afford WD OA, there are lots of other artist's that you may like and can afford that he has on Splashpage and then you discover other OA resources.

My problem's been that I don't want it all just sitting in the (dry, temperature controlled) basement and want to display it but don't really have the room and/or inclination to have just OA on my walls so I haven't bought as much as I should have.

Garf, thanks for the link to that discussion.

It's certainly interesting to discuss, I am spectating too seeing as I have 3 pages from before the price hikes. It's hit a ceiling for me where the pages simply aren't affordable as something to enjoy on the wall compared to my other monetary or collecting priorities. If they are selling though, as mentioned again and again, then they have the pricing right and it won't be coming down until people are no longer buying them. The amount available will have zero effect on it until that happens and Splash now is edging back towards having the same amount as they did in late 2011 and rising. Certainly expecting this to keep rising with the fortnightly releases.

A lot of the earlier interest in 2011 onwards was for pages in the $160 - $200 range when there was a wide choice between around #22 - #90 which has been mostly picked clean. In general it doesn't matter if you only started collecting yesterday it's definitely worth your time introducing yourself to the OA market as a whole to get a better perspective on your own collecting habits.

IMHO it makes the secondary market at auction, if you have the patience for it to come around, so much more attractive. Anything modern that is white hot like TWD seems to instill a sense of urgency in people about their purchases. Get it now before it is gone... and there is a lot of external validation for your purchases as well because it currently has tons of fans. All giving you the thumbs up to anything that is posted so it doesn't seem like there is much of a downside. Truth be told there isn't a downside if you want to live with it on your walls or in your portfolio for keeps and get a great sense of enjoyment. Could be though if you wait a few years for things to die down and tank back to original prices. There are always plenty for sale on Splash, Anthony's, other dealer sites, ebay ... and the amount of pages increases as the book ages... etc etc... It's not going to run away and vanish forever.

The people over on the OA threads put the whole Modern OA / investment thing into perspective quite nicely seeing as they are able to draw on a lot more experience and knowledge.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=48&Number=6445846&Searchpage=4&Main=289275&Words=Walking+Dead+Original+Art+Prices&topic=0&Search=true#Post6445846

The whole thread is certainly worth reading, not just that post.

Just to be clear I'm not saying that everyone is a flipper or trying to invest, just food for thought when considering your purchasing habits if you feel that you always have to BUY IT NOW!!!! :) The OA market is mostly a slow moving beast with a few exceptions. At some point (unless you are only in it for a couple of pages and that is your lot) you have to take a break and think about your focus. Otherwise you are just scratching an itch or looking for that next hit or validation.

Assessments like that terrify me.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/10/07/2012-top-100-comic-book-runs-master-list/

Not bad huh? Chin up, it's not as if TWD is going to be forgotten after it has had such a huge impact on pop culture.

You have to recognise that some of the discussion on the OA forum tended towards grail / blue chip pieces and basically pits moderns against the origins of the genre as we know it. Hardly a fair fight, but it's a sobering look at the bigger picture if you want to try and work out what is value for money in the market as a whole when you are deciding what to get.

There are some cracking threads over on the OA side when it comes to prices and the hobby in general.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6609910&fpart=1 (There are some really clear and well written points made about the generations, markets and the behaviour of other collectables.)

Anyway ... sorry to digress so much. It's just that the OA prices this month had me raising both my eyebrows. One for the prices and the other for them selling so well :P

Do you collect art from any other titles?