• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

im going to have to disagree with Bjorn on the "$300 and not worth it" statement when it comes to Charlie and "quick sketches"

at 2013 NYCC Charlie did a total of 15 "quick sketches", 5 a day, for three of the four days of the Con.

initially i too felt that $300 was a bit steep given the ground rules that Mark laid out.

Then i got to thinking about it, really thinking about it.

Charlie if from, and lives in the UK. Charlie draws my favorite book. Charlie is a busy man. Charlie is in demand. Charlie does not get to New York (where im from) very often. All those things led to me getting the commission.

To describe the whole experience is just not easy to put into words. To watch him take my blank 109 and create my favorite character while i stood on the other side of the table was just incredible. Might have been a once in a lifetime type of thing for myself. No regrets.

null_zps74e378e6.jpg

im going to have to disagree with Bjorn on the "$300 and not worth it" statement when it comes to Charlie and "quick sketches"

at 2013 NYCC Charlie did a total of 15 "quick sketches", 5 a day, for three of the four days of the Con.

initially i too felt that $300 was a bit steep given the ground rules that Mark laid out.

Charlie if from, and lives in the UK. Charlie draws my favorite book. Charlie is a busy man. Charlie is in demand. Charlie does not get to New York (where im from) very often. All those things led to me getting the commission.

To describe the whole experience is just not easy to put into words. To watch him take my blank 109 and create my favorite character while i stood on the other side of the table was just incredible. Might have been a once in a lifetime type of thing for myself. No regrets.

null_zps74e378e6.jpg

That's one sweet " quick sketch "

When I think of quick sketches I think of what Adam Hughes does at cons. Nothing wrong with them, but they are quick. lol

This is a piece of art.

null_zps74e378e6.jpg

No offense at all to the sketches Charlie's done recently.

I'm just in the camp that I'm not a blank cover guy. Those sketches you and Retro have are AWESOME.

null_zps74e378e6.jpg

No offense at all to the sketches Charlie's done recently.

I'm just in the camp that I'm not a blank cover guy. Those sketches you and Retro have are AWESOME.

Thanks Bjorn. Everyone has their preference. I sure wish Adlard had the time to do Cover style commissions. Kinda like Brian Hurtt does at cons. Like the ones Court auctions off on eBay.

P.S. Big news coming from me soon. Just waiting on a reply. :wishluck:

Also Bjorn. He would of drawn the $300 commission on a blank sheet of board too. But me and Eric both wanted it done on blanks.

I sure wish I would of CGC'd it. :cry: Evil Ash even said to me do you want to grade it and I said no. What the hell was I thinking? Oh yea that's right, I was star struck and didn't want to leave NY without it. :facepalm:

That would be my only regret.

Retro you going to post your Hurtt sketch cover? Looks cool and cant wait to hear the news :wishluck:

Yea buddy. I'll do that now. All yours came out freaking dope !!!! I love the Tyler one he did.

Here's mine. I asked Brian to draw Drake emerging through a portal helping Rick and the survivors, by shooting Negan with one of the SIX, ending the War!! I always will ask Brian to draw something Sixth Gun related as that is one of my favorite books and the only one I read that Brian draws for lol Anyways, Enjoy

:banana:

Hoping for a 9.8er :wishluck:

BH_DrakeNeegan_zpsa79bb89c.jpg

Retro you going to post your Hurtt sketch cover? Looks cool and cant wait to hear the news :wishluck:

Yea buddy. I'll do that now. All yours came out freaking dope !!!! I love the Tyler one he did.

Here's mine. I asked Brian to draw Drake emerging through a portal helping Rick and the survivors, by shooting Negan with one of the SIX, ending the War!! I always will ask Brian to draw something Sixth Gun related as that is one of my favorite books and the only one I read that Brian draws for lol Anyways, Enjoy

:banana:

Hoping for a 9.8er :wishluck:

BH_DrakeNeegan_zpsa79bb89c.jpg

:applause:

At NYCC in 2008, I decided to get Tony and Charlie to draw their zombies side-by-side on 11X17 board. Tony went first and then Charlie. I loved their zombies, but the piece needed something to tie it all together. So I asked Eric Powell to sketch the Goon in between. Here's the result:

GOONVSWALKINGDEADSketch.jpg

Tony was $100, Charlie was $100 (originally $50...when he got done drawing, Mark raised it to $100...I wasn't in a great position to negotiate at that point, lol!), Eric was FREE. Tony's sketch list was much tougher to get on than Charlie's, which was fairly wide open. Charlie was doing 9"X12" sketches that were GREAT. Fully finished and filled up the whole page. A great deal for $50.

It was also at this show that I had a chance to buy the page with Carl shooting Shane from Tony. I ended up not buying it because I thought the price was too high...$1000!! He had TWO portfolios filled with his WD art. That was the last time I saw him have that much (or any, actually) of his WD art for sale at a show.

At NYCC in 2008, I decided to get Tony and Charlie to draw their zombies side-by-side on 11X17 board. Tony went first and then Charlie. I loved their zombies, but the piece needed something to tie it all together. So I asked Eric Powell to sketch the Goon in between. Here's the result:

Tony was $100, Charlie was $100 (originally $50...when he got done drawing, Mark raised it to $100...I wasn't in a great position to negotiate at that point, lol!), Eric was FREE. Tony's sketch list was much tougher to get on than Charlie's, which was fairly wide open. Charlie was doing 9"X12" sketches that were GREAT. Fully finished and filled up the whole page. A great deal for $50.

It was also at this show that I had a chance to buy the page with Carl shooting Shane from Tony. I ended up not buying it because I thought the price was too high...$1000!! He had TWO portfolios filled with his WD art. That was the last time I saw him have that much (or any, actually) of his WD art for sale at a show.

That's so amazing! If only time travel was possible. lol

That is great(not the part about not buying the page lol )

I really was at one time thinking how cool it would be to get both of them on the same OA........ :sorry: Looks like you beat me to it..........really cool

I was literally looking at that a few minutes ago on CAF. Nice that you added to the story. I want to get a decent jam started this year at cons.

You have a terrific collection and i have enjoyed browsing it several times. Thanks for sharing.

I was literally looking at that a few minutes ago on CAF. Nice that you added to the story. I want to get a decent jam started this year at cons.

You have a terrific collection and i have enjoyed browsing it several times. Thanks for sharing.

Its still painful to me when you swept in on that issue one page...not cool lol