• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Whoa that double page of Michonne & Governor is up to $2,600 with 5 days to go!

Ebay

Any final predictions?

It's interesting. It's a HUGE moment from the comic and very memorable. It's also two 11x17 pages with no stats, and content wise, better than most splashes and covers.

That said, it's pretty gruesome, and I actually believe that pages depicting gross/stomach churning moments go for slightly cheaper. I'm guessing this ends between $4,500 and $5,100

I have to disagree on the gruesomeness holding it back. I think there are some outspoken collectors who have publicly stated that on this board and it's been adopted as gospel, when it's not really the case.

TWD is character driven, but it's still a horror book and this is a prime example of character driven horror. I'd put these up as two of the best pages in the run.

I don't know man. I guess it could go either way. There was a long discussion about it in the OA thread a while back. I know some collectors aren't in it to fill wall space, but while it's very memorable, it's not a piece that will have a wider draw unless you're a fan of the horror genre, or obviously a TWD fan. I still think $5K is a strong number for two panel pages that aren't from Tony Moore.

Was the Tyreese/Gov page that sold on CLink for 4,300 an outlier then?

Because if not, then there's no reason these pages go for less than 8k 2c

Outlier or not, the reasoning is faulty. There's no simple formula to determine what these two pages will sell for. As well, there are other variables at play here, including venue (eBay vs. Clink), auction format, reserves, etc. I'm not saying these pages WON'T sell for $8K, but any given day may bring about a different result, imo...we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, while I'm in the "no stomach-churning violence" camp when it comes to my own collection, I do believe these types of pages carry a premium for WD. While a talking heads/quiet moment page might be more displayable, how many fans would choose that over a violent page, if the prices were the same?

I agree. It's really hard to say what they'll go for. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't think there's been enough public sale of pages for us to know exactly how much certain ones are valued at. Unlike older pages that have been in circulation for decades that have proven over time to have certain values - these haven't really even been around for one decade yet.

My point, however, was that these pages should carry a premium like you said. For a horror comic, these are up there with the best. The Tyresse page was horrific too, and on smaller art board, so it seems logical to me that these, theoretically, should carry similar values. 2c

I guess the greater question is what is the reserve! :)

^^ I like what you said about some pages selling for retail and then only getting half or a quarter of what they originally sold for. The market is so crazy when it comes to OA.

Do you think there would ever be a GPA for OA?

hm

CAF has a market data feature for premium members that collects past sales. Past that it wouldn't work because it all depends on so many variables that are different for each page. You can categorize pages as A, B, C level examples but even that will always be somewhat subjective.

Keep in mind that that seller has a HUGE and devoted "fan base" on eBay

BIG BUCKS indeed. Sorry James :)

No worries......I had some hope that someone new might get a few. I want them all but I don't need any. I'm happy that I have been emailing with a few new collectors of WD OA. It's good to see new blood and it benifits the WD market. I'm not in it to flip my art but I have enjoyed seeing the damand. It makes the hunt that much more fun. Buying a page on eBay is ok. But getting someone to sell a page that is not forsale is.....well no words to describe.

uvjQcd9S_2706141712191.jpg

Thanks Double J (thumbs u

Cameo or first appearance............

(thumbs u

Wow. Should go nicely in your collection next to his first cover appearance ;)

It's another one of those... I would say a lot of people would lean towards cameo as you can't really identify him from this and he hasn't been introduced.

There's art from a character's first appearance (any page from their first book) and then there's the character's very first page or cover. This is the first time he appears anywhere, so I think there's an extra premium for that even though you can't see his face.

There's art from a character's first appearance (any page from their first book) and then there's the character's very first page or cover. This is the first time he appears anywhere, so I think there's an extra premium for that even though you can't see his face.

I will have to say when I first started collecting the first appearance pages(any page from the first issue) threw me off. I didn't know this and thought people were scamming by calling it first appearance. Think the first page was the Jesus page on ebay for $11,000.00. He calls it Jesus first appearance....though he was scamming lol . But then I seen a lot of people doing it over the years.