• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few questions re E-Bay auctions

38 posts in this topic

Instead I suspect that many are in denial. Why??? I wonder?

Shill bidding is always brought up on this board. Do a search on "shill" & read up. No one's in denial & no one is turning a blind eye. You made a blanket statement & was simply asked to back it up. That is all.

The seller would rather pay the 3% E-bay commision (having his shill win the book) and take the book back and keep it off the market than let it go at a price they deem "far below the market".

Yeah, I agree with that if the book isn't up to the price they want they will probably bid late, that way if they don't win it, it will at least be the price they are looking for.

I don't think that many are in denial here on the CGC forums anyways. It was not long ago that we had a post related to shill bidding on a weekly basis. I sure wish I had more time on my hands to do that again. It was so much fun finding stuff by accident tongue.gif

Ok . Did a search on "shill" and found very little. Other than this thread maybe someone calling someone else a shill. Perhaps I dopn't know how to use the search link properly. I am willing to learn. In the meantime, I don't really know what you are looking for other than names and telephone numbers as proof. Based on your post I can only assume that you don't believe that shill bidding exists. Otherwise your question is pointless.

Ok . Did a search on "shill" and found very little. Other than this thread maybe someone calling someone else a shill. Perhaps I dopn't know how to use the search link properly. I am willing to learn. In the meantime, I don't really know what you are looking for other than names and telephone numbers as proof. Based on your post I can only assume that you don't believe that shill bidding exists. Otherwise your question is pointless.

What makes you think that I don't think that shill bidding exists? I think you have a difficult time with reading comprehension & getting your point across. Frankly, it's quite difficult conversing with you.

What makes you think that I don't think that shill bidding exists? I think you have a difficult time with reading comprehension & getting your point across. Frankly, it's quite difficult conversing with you.

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

12_4_1.gif

How about a link or two to auctions you think are examples of shill bidding. That would be a decent start.

Also, if you found "very little" on shill bidding using the search function on this site, you simply don't know how to use it. I just searched on "shill" with the option of showing 1000 results per page. That only brought me back to February of this year...

Didn't I say I didn't know how to use the search. Obviously putting in a number of threads helps. Thanks. Do you need help in finding shill bidders or do you want names linked to threads? I have no interest in giving details to this forum. If anyone is interested they can find it themself. It is up to each reader to believe or remain skeptical that shill bidding exists. On second thought, maybe shill bidding doesn't really exist. Where's that brick?

It is up to each reader to believe or remain skeptical that shill bidding exists. On second thought, maybe shill bidding doesn't really exist. Where's that brick?

893frustrated.gif *SIGH* 893frustrated.gif

No one said shill bidding does not exist. You made this blanket statement:

"Most of the big sellers use the decvice (sic)"

You were asked to provide some proof that MOST big sellers shill bid on their own auctions. You could not. Some links would simply have sufficed. For example, links to a possible shill bidder's bidding history.

Didn't I say I didn't know how to use the search. Obviously putting in a number of threads helps. Thanks. Do you need help in finding shill bidders or do you want names linked to threads? I have no interest in giving details to this forum. If anyone is interested they can find it themself. It is up to each reader to believe or remain skeptical that shill bidding exists. On second thought, maybe shill bidding doesn't really exist. Where's that brick?

Are you on drugs?

Unless the person is brand new, I don't think there is anyone here who doesn't know that shill bidding exists. We all know it exists. But you were specifically asking if you should do it. The answer we've all given is "no."

Does shill bidding exist? Yes.

Does everyone do it? No.

Should you do it? No.

Is shilling wrong? Yes.

Are there honest people on ebay? Yes.

Are there dishonest people on ebay? Yes.

Do crooks care how they get your money? Not that I can tell. Some shill, some hide restoration, some horrendously overgrade, some change CGC labels, some sell nothing behind a stolen scan, and so on. If you want to be a crook, we can't stop you. But we're not going to say, "Oh go ahead and shill, everyone does it!" because everyone does not do it.

-- Joanna

I don't shill, and I won't bid on an item I suspect of being shilled. 893naughty-thumb.gif

*Bows his head at post 911 in rememberance of 9-11* 126.gif

I see it a lot too and can spot it pretty easy. I think it is mainly done not to jack up a book's price to an extremely high level but to achieve a certain desired price by the owner. The seller does not want to put a reserve since that stifles bidding so it is listed as no reserve. Then if it looks flat you have someon enter a bid up to the amount you want to sell the book for. That way if no one else bids, you don't lose money and no sale takes place. Kind of like the Heritage bump. this has been done so many times to me on ebay that I just live with it if it is a hard book and the prices aren't crazy. Happened on the Hulk 1 I bought. And it happened last week on an FF 55 9.6 I was bidding on.