• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta sig goes wild

85 posts in this topic

I can't believe someone SSed a Church book.

I can. Because it is so unbelievably cool to have a legendary artist sign some of his legendary work. If there is a next level for a pedigree, this is it. I just wish he would have rocked the sharpie!

I can. Because it is so unbelievably cool to have a legendary artist sign some of his legendary work. If there is a next level for a pedigree, this is it. I just wish he would have rocked the sharpie!

I agree with you there! Interesting sigline. That guys a nutjob.

That is crazy So I guess that means the certified signature is worth 5000 dollars. that is alot of money for a signature. but on the flip side of the token that means that people might pay more to get their own items signed by Mr. Frazetta. If the offer is increased the Frazetta's might agree to another signing of 25 or 50 books in 6 months from now.

I have no problem whatsoever with an SSed book. An SSed pedigree book, I think I have a problem with that.

So I've read the CGC SS press release on this and I feel queasy about this sale for 2 reasons:

1) I'm not crazy about someone signing a Church copy. Especially when it's not their cover. But, it's the owner's book and they do what they like I suppose.

2) More importantly, this is the quote from the story, "He was hesitant, because Frank Sr. is now 80 years old, has had 2 strokes and doesn't do shows or signings. He is more reclusive now. Jr. does asks how many books we were talking."

"After several weeks, and several phone calls, she agreed, on her terms, and landed on 25 to 50 books at most. I thanked her profusely and explained how she just made 50 fans extremely happy!"

Now one of those 50 fans has decided to flip this very personal treasure of theirs. Despite the fact that they had to cajole the son and wife of an admittedly frail 80 year old artist. I imagine that Mrs. Frazetta secured a fee for her husband as I have heard $150/book thrown around for books mailed to him. But, how amenable are they going to be when they learn that one of these 50 fans made a $5,000 flip in a month?

Your point about the quick flip is well taken, it could lessen the likelihood that something like this could be repeated. But part of the calculus is how rabid the market is for legends that haven't been doing shows for years. Danny's point about Ditko is well taken. He is probably the only guy that could generate a feeding frenzy like this Frazetta signing. When the market is as hungry for Frazetta material as it appears it is, I can see how it would be hard to turn down flip $$. Trust me, though, not everyone is flipping their Frazetta books.

--Sean.

While I agree that someone just made alot of money off of a service that was offered to them. They did pay full fare. They did pay fair market for the book. They are probably paying pedigree for the use of their website to sell the book.

They didn't take advantage of anybody they just took advantage of a situation.

I know I am keeping mine.

and BTW Frank's signature fee has not been as low as $150 for years.

Chris

While I agree that someone just made alot of money off of a service that was offered to them. They did pay full fare. They did pay fair market for the book. They are probably paying pedigree for the use of their website to sell the book.

They didn't take advantage of anybody they just took advantage of a situation.

I'm no disparaging anyone making a buck. Like I said, it's written up in the SS report like it was done for the fans. Whoops. The other thread makes it clear that only witnesses were offered the opportunity as a thank you for their hard work.

Now one of the witnesses/fans buys the MH copy and flips it less than a week later. Looks like as soon as the signing was announced, someone grabbed the Mile High copy from Metro's website. I would assume the intent was to have it signed and then keep it but the $$ was just too much to resist.

It's not necessarily wrong to make money off of it. Just feels a little greasy to me. That's all.

I don't give a cr*p if they sold it for one million dollars. It's the SS of a pedigree that doesn't sit well with me.

I understand that whoever owns the book can do what they want to with it, but I'm sure there are other Frazetta books that would hold a signature exceedingly well.