• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta sig goes wild

85 posts in this topic

I have been a Frazetta fan since the late 60's when I started reading the Lancer Conan books with his covers. (Amazingly, I still have most of those books to this day) At that time I really did not even know who he was, but the cover art drew me to the books, as it did with the Warren books, and was probably instrumental in me becoming a graphic artist. My wife refuses to bury the book with me, but if that were the case, it would be like the opening scene to Young Frankenstein, where the old Frankenstein corpse was clutching the book and would not let it go easily.

I think for someone to sell one of the books already is their choice, but shows very little class, hell, at least wait until the ink dries, enjoy it for a little while maybe. The seller of that book had no desire to enjoy the book, and no respect for the effort involved with getting anything past the watchful eyes of Ellie Frazetta, and definately not a Frazetta fan to sell it that quickly. To run out and buy a pedigree book to be signed is one thing, but to turn around and sell it that quickly, when he probably did not need the money, (evidenced by the purchase of a pedigree book just for the sole purpose of a SS) just stinks on ice, and hopefully his spot will be occupied by a true fan should there ever be another signing.

I do take some satisfaction in knowing that if it sold that quickly, it was most likely underpriced and could have probably sold for more. I hope the seller realizes this and it eats at him, since he is greedy, I'm sure it already is. :devil:

Hopefully, the book was purchased by a fan and not just another profiteer with plans of putting it up on Heritage or CL next week. If that is the case, owell, I am sure it will eventually wind up in the hands of someone who will respect and enjoy the book/signature for what it is, and not just see the $ signs.

I have to think the seller did nothing wrong.

Mr. Frazetta was paid well.

CGC made their money.

The original seller made their money.

The Buyer took a risk.

He sold it and made a profit.

I do some mixed feelings on it being a Church book. The thought that Mr. Frazetta's signature is bigger than the Church book is incorrect. His work is bigger but his signature is not. It raises the question of ownership vs. caretaker. I have some books that I own and I have some that I am definetly a caretaker for the next generation. As collectors we need to realize the difference if we have some of these pieces. Whether or not he crossed the line I am not sure.

I know I am not bothered with the Stan Lee autograph on the 4.0 AF15. But if it was on the 9.4 White Mountain I think I would cringe at that. Chainball's experience is why we get things autographed. I have no desire to own someone else's autographed book because I did not meet the man.

That being said, I cherish my 1961 Autographed Yankees Ball and I never met Mantle or Maris.

My 2c

I totally agree with "I'm sure most would want Weird Science- Fantasy 29." now THAT is holy grail material.

If I were FF and something I just signed sold for $5K (just for the signature) I think I'd be pretty proud. How many can say their signature added $5K to the bottom-line of a book?

The Frazetta's could (should) look at this as an opportunity. The bar has been raised. How many collectors would (could) pay a thou-or-two to have something like a pristine copy of Weird Science- Fantasy 29 AUTOGRAPHED by the master himself.

(worship)

I just want to publicly thank all the people that have emailed and pm'd me thanking me for the opportunity. It truly was my pleasure. I just wish I could have included more people. Unfortunately, Frank was tired after just signing 40 or so books, so any more was not a possibility. I have a pretty good relationship with Ellie and Frank Jr. now, so who knows...MAYBE...in the future, they will agree to more. I will NOT push them, though. This was definitely an exception, not the norm! They are very protective of Frank, and I totally understand why. When I was leaving, Ellie made the comment that the only reason I got this opportunity was because I didn't hound her. I need to respect that! Hopefully, the community will as well.

I have an extra Vampirella #1 SS 5.5 that was supposed to be for a friend. It is available now. I decided to auction this book off, with half of the proceeds going to the Hero Initiative. Here is the link. Hopefully you guys will bid high for them!

Frazetta Signature series auction

Brian

and BTW Frank's signature fee has not been as low as $150 for years.

Chris

Just for the record, the sig was $200 and the grading fee was $75.

Now we can stop beating around that bush.

Please carry on.

Chris

Please carry on.

$79 :gossip:

Chris

Please carry on.

Let's not forget shipping, both ways. All told probably just over $300.

Well it is still worth it. This book already being at 405.00 proves it was a steal.

I didn't say it wasn't worth it, I just put on the table what no one else was for some reason.

Well it is still worth it. This book already being at 405.00 proves it was a steal.

I didn't say it wasn't worth it, I just put on the table what no one else was for some reason.

I figured it was common knowledge that Frazetta charges $250 per sig since it's on one of the main pages of his website.

When people kept mentioning $150 as his price it needed correcting. However, being that his site says $250 and this signing was $200 it makes it hard to be specific what his signature will cost you at any given moment.

It just hasn't been advertised as $150 for quite a while.

C

Ayep, Ellie is a tough one, however Frank Jr. is great once you get to know him and a pretty good artist too, just thought I would share some of his drawings he sent my daughter Elizabeth (Liz). Enjoy

fankjr.jpg

Chris

Please carry on.

I love people who chop down bushes. They just get in the way. (thumbs u

While I agree that someone just made alot of money off of a service that was offered to them. They did pay full fare. They did pay fair market for the book. They are probably paying pedigree for the use of their website to sell the book.

They didn't take advantage of anybody they just took advantage of a situation.

I'm no disparaging anyone making a buck. Like I said, it's written up in the SS report like it was done for the fans. Whoops. The other thread makes it clear that only witnesses were offered the opportunity as a thank you for their hard work.

Now one of the witnesses/fans buys the MH copy and flips it less than a week later. Looks like as soon as the signing was announced, someone grabbed the Mile High copy from Metro's website. I would assume the intent was to have it signed and then keep it but the $$ was just too much to resist.

It's not necessarily wrong to make money off of it. Just feels a little greasy to me. That's all.

:thumbsup:

What people (and some here in this forum in particular) seem to forget is flipping, especially something like this, has the potential to prevent a signing like this from ever happening again. Look at what has happened with con sketches in the past 10 years.

In 1998 you could fill a portfolio with free con sketches. Along comes eBay and the flipper and now we're paying $20 - $40 for a nobody and $100 - $300 for good artists. Adam Hughes used to be $50, now he's $300 -- ask why and he'll tell you it's because of flippers. Frank Cho will not sketch women -- ask why and he'll tell you it's because of flippers. Barry Windsor-Smith now makes you sign a contract and fork over 15% of any profits you make on his art -- again, thanks to the flipper.

So, you see, even though no one did anything wrong it still has the effect of potentially screwing things up for others down the road.

2c

Ok, I see your point, and I am not saying you are wrong that some people will see it this way, but take it from another perspective.

Artists would have to be naive to think that people never ever sell any of the work they do for more than they paid to acquire it. Free sketches were probably doomed anyway, since the number of people that line up for them has increase exponentially (and that word doesn't even seem to adequately describe how much so), as well as the sheer number of comic artists doing them. You used to be able to count the major artists on two hands - Kirby, Ditko, Colan, Infantino, Anderson, well you get it...

As an artists, I sort of feel, what good is my art if it is not seen and enjoyed by an audience? Sure I've bitten the big one on occasion, sometimes at hands of the publishers, who also take advantage of artists as well. Fortunately, that's changed a little in recent years, as artists have gained a "voice".

And after all isn't it the fans that make an artists "famous". These fans do not benefit or get a comission because they increase the value of an artists work because of popularity. Without the fans the art would be virtually worthless.

An artist can ask what they want one of their works. If that person turns around and sells it for more, it only serves to increase the value of an artists work.

But I do understand that not everyone will see it this way. Such is life...

Chris

Please carry on.

Let's not forget shipping, both ways. All told probably just over $300.

And absolutely worth every penny, baby.

The 5.5 Vampirella # 1 sold for 801.00 This further helps to prove Mr. Frazetta's value. The book has a value of 150.00 to 200.00 in that grade. Which means that Mr. Frazetta's signature combined with the yellow label is worth 601 to 651 dollars. It is worth even more on rarer higher grade books.