• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rudolph...the rarest bronze-age comic?

102 posts in this topic

aside from the variants (which are in a class by themselves), I would be interested to see some listings as to what bronze titles really are all that rare.

In terms of comics, there are none. A few mags might be considered rare, simply due to very limited distribution, but not mass market comics from the 70's.

I always thought the toughest Rudolph was the Annual from 1962-63

Looking for 30+ years

Took me forever to find a copy - finally found a VG copy about 5 years ago. At a toy show of all places.

Looks like there are 4 on the census..one 8.0 two 7.5s and one 6.0

The Kid Colt 35 cent variant was actually found by Earl Shaw.

He bought a store out in the mid Ohio area a few years back and ended up with almost a long box of 35 cent variants ... many multiples... but the Kid Colt 218 was the only copy there.

comment and question-

Comment: Jeff said he found the 35's including the 218

question: is your ebay ID the same as or similar to your board ID?

Yes - Capt_Comics is an ebay ID

Jeff found the books in the stuff Earl bought and Earl let him sell them - (why I don't know) - both on ebay and at shows

I always thought the toughest Rudolph was the Annual from 1962-63

Looking for 30+ years

Took me forever to find a copy - finally found a VG copy about 5 years ago. At a toy show of all places.

Looks like there are 4 on the census..one 8.0 two 7.5s and one 6.0

The Kid Colt 35 cent variant was actually found by Earl Shaw.

He bought a store out in the mid Ohio area a few years back and ended up with almost a long box of 35 cent variants ... many multiples... but the Kid Colt 218 was the only copy there.

comment and question-

Comment: Jeff said he found the 35's including the 218

question: is your ebay ID the same as or similar to your board ID?

I was hoping you would answer my question-

another thing I want to clarify, is that I am not arguing that earl shaw bought the books, I was saying that Jeff said he found the variants including the 218.

lastly--the longbox statement was a gross exageration. I saw what Jeff sold and the rest in person at the Baltimore Convention. Less than half a short is closer to the mark.

You may have seen a short box... but I confirmed with Earl, there was about 200 books. Jeff didn't sell them all.

I know they paid for the complete store buy.

What is your ebay ID?

I don't think I've ever seen a copy of spirit world #1.

Spirit World, In the Days of the Mob, and Brother Billy the Pain from Plains were all very tough to find in high grade, but not what I would call rare. I've never run across a copy of Pussycat #1 nor the Marvel mag about Ayatolla Khomenhi that Shadroch mentioned in another recent thread.

Sure, but those are magazines, and as some have mentioned, there are rare mags, but very few (if any) comics.

And aren't some of these, like Pussycat, Silver Age?

Yes, Pussycat was published in late '68. The rest are all bronze.

did a quick google and found this under wiki's rarest comics.

From 1978: cancelled comics calvacade 1&2 35 copies known to exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancelled_Comics_Cavalcade

Kind of like a bronze ashcan to secure copyright protection, but technically, they were not sold...

Those fascinated me until I saw what they were: gigantic phonebooks of photocopied art. Much cooler in theory than actuality, IMHO.

I am thinking the answer has to be a 35 cent variant, like Kid Colt 218.

Yeah, definitely a Western 35-center, or maybe Scooby Doo 1?

right now there is only one known KC 218 35 center.

I now know of 5 Scooby Doo 1's

I have one from the Janet pedigree. :gossip:

did a quick google and found this under wiki's rarest comics.

From 1978: cancelled comics calvacade 1&2 35 copies known to exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancelled_Comics_Cavalcade

Kind of like a bronze ashcan to secure copyright protection, but technically, they were not sold...

Those fascinated me until I saw what they were: gigantic phonebooks of photocopied art. Much cooler in theory than actuality, IMHO.

And people sell photocopies of them all the time doh!

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catref=C6&from=R40&satitle=cancelled+comic+&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sabfmts=1&fis=2&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=2

Supergear 1. I know of two copies, mine and Al Stoltz'. Al looked for 20 years for his. I would be very surprised if there are more than 10 existant.

Are you trying to see if Ian will pop in for a little tea and vitriol? :roflmao:

Supergear 1. I know of two copies, mine and Al Stoltz'. Al looked for 20 years for his. I would be very surprised if there are more than 10 existant.

I know only a few have turned up, but what makes a promo comic like that so rare....you'd think that there's a box of them somewhere in Colorado. With 500 copies printed and 1/2 known to be destroyed....don't you think there might be a small stash of them somewhere in colorado, say Boulder Colorado?

I know only a few have turned up, but what makes a promo comic like that so rare....you'd think that there's a box of them somewhere in Colorado. With 500 copies printed and 1/2 known to be destroyed....don't you think there might be a small stash of them somewhere in colorado, say Boulder Colorado?

I doubt it, because Al Stoltz really beat the bushes for one - he passed out flyers, he offered a huge bounty, etc. etc., for a long time and none turned up. There might be more, but I really doubt it.

If you want to get into non-comic productions, what about the one-offs that Ian has, like that DC produced book for those kids? Or Museum copies limited to under 10?

Once you get away from "newstand comics" it opens up a whole different can of worms.

rudolph1972.jpg

Wow, no wonder it's scarce. That is so wrong.

Rudolph is just riding Santa's rocket. Thats all.

It's the "New Giant Adventures" comic, so I guess this is Rudolph's first ride

on Santa's big rocket CGC should take note of that...

lol