• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rudolph...the rarest bronze-age comic?

102 posts in this topic

Doug Sulipa in his 2008 Overstreet market report calls this one of the rarest bronze-age comics and in the guide it is listed as scarce. Are there many other bronze-age comics that have the "scarce" designation? Do many of these show up for sale? I picked up a complete set of the Rudolph Treasury editions recently and was trying to get more information on them. hm

rudolph1972.jpg

Super nice copy.

Rare? I'd guess no way. Challenging? For a BA DC, sure. I've seen at least 4 copies of this book in the past year, though.

If I spent the time, I could probably think of a dozens of BA books that are tougher-and many of them are, I believe, just flat out "rare" because they were never collected and preserved. Granted, none of them would be non-variant DC's or Marvel's.

I am thinking the answer has to be a 35 cent variant, like Kid Colt 218.

Yeah, definitely a Western 35-center, or maybe Scooby Doo 1?

right now there is only one known KC 218 35 center.

I now know of 5 Scooby Doo 1's

I remember when it was on the newsstands... hm

Gothic Romances has to rank up there on the scarceness meter...

Jim

It certainly does, all early Bronze 56 pager's, particularly the early issues of the runs. And the first issue's of the new titles.

Paging Sterling.....

right now there is only one known KC 218 35 center.

I thought the finder had a few more in reserve, or is he just joking?

finecomics is just joking

sad thing is, I wish a shortbox full would show up so I could have one

In discussions like this, variants should not count. The answer should be an actual comic that is scarce, not a printing difference. There are plenty of Kid Colt 218s out there, that issue as a whole is not scarce.

I tend to agree with this logic.

In discussions like this, variants should not count. The answer should be an actual comic that is scarce, not a printing difference. There are plenty of Kid Colt 218s out there, that issue as a whole is not scarce.

I tend to agree with this logic.

I'd agree if it was one of those stupid "manufactured collectibles" that are mistakenly referred to as "variants", but this is a true variant comic, verified by Marvel and manufactured on purpose, that was sitting on the newsstand at the same time as the regular one....

It's gotta count.

This is not a "printing difference", but different version of the comic that was printed (on purpose - not a printing error) to gauge resistance to a price increase. These are some of the only *true* variant comics in existence, and should not be associated with the 1990's and 2000's "fake variant" idiocy.

The variants are the only Bronze books that could ever be considered truly scarce or rare. There are many books that are scarcer or rarer than other Bronze books, several have been mentioned, my addition would be Tender Love Stories from Skywald.

I have always tried to find first issue books that are rarer or scarcer in strict 9.0 or above - Wyatt Earp 30, Li'l Pals 1, Harvey 1, etc. These books are not rare or scarce at all. I have at least three copies of each one of them, but none above 8.0. In fact, my WE 30s are all bird cage liners. I posit that, for the major publishers, there are very few really rare or scarce Bronze books, and most of them are variants. There are, however, a bunch that are really tough in grade.

I thought Larry Harmon's Laurel & Hardy was one of the scarcest BA DC books - I remember seeing the Rudolph treasury editions as a kid, but not the L&H book - and flush with paper route money I actually bought the first of the Rudolph treasury editions off the stands in my brief quest (about 3 months) to own every DC and Marvel printed. I caught such flack from a fellow collector that I eventually gave it to my little year brother to trash. Of course, if I'd only bothered to stash it away carefully, it would now be worth more than most of what else I bought at the time doh!

I thought Larry Harmon's Laurel & Hardy was one of the scarcest BA DC books - I remember seeing the Rudolph treasury editions as a kid, but not the L&H book - and flush with paper route money I actually bought the first of the Rudolph treasury editions off the stands in my brief quest (about 3 months) to own every DC and Marvel printed. I caught such flack from a fellow collector that I eventually gave it to my little year brother to trash. Of course, if I'd only bothered to stash it away carefully, it would now be worth more than most of what else I bought at the time doh!
They used to be pretty scarce until some eBay seller started selling mega multiples of multipacks with that issue. This started around 2002 and I remember buying from him.