• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most interesting trade offer you EVER got

35 posts in this topic

In the first year of selling on eBay, I listed a Zap 1 that had piqued a considerable amount of interest; some interest transcending normality. One guy offered up his Toyota Celica, which he claimed was worth $3000. Another guy offered up a few interesting items, among which was his collection of 1200 license plates which he valued at $5000. tongue.gif Although the offers were more than fair (considering the book yielded US $750 for a G copy), nothing more interesting than an offer I just recieved in my inbox this morning:

Will trade you my Matisse for your four books and $1000 cash (zap 1 1st, zap 1 2nd, zap 0 1st and snatch 1 1st). It is on the “Inventory” page of our site.
msmatisse625x975.jpg" width="444" height="521
Henri Matisse

Original Drawing

An exquisite and rare crayon drawing by perhaps the most important artist of the 20th

Century. There are Matisse multiples and lithographs available, but very, very few

original works remain in private hands. With COA.

We found only two other small Matisse sketches available, and those from a NY dealer who is asking $185,000 each.

Original Henri Matisse 6.75x9.25unique $28,000

Although the offer is reasonably fair, the only original art I collect are Crumb (comics) and Dali (painter). So my question, to my fellow forumites; what interesting trades have you recieved in exchange for your comics?

It looks like it was drawn by my two years old daughter 893whatthe.gif

Sorry if what i say seems outrageous but i cannot understand the price of this original art. In fact, it's just a name that you buy...

Yes, but before Matisse, no two-year olds drew that way.... flowerred.gif

Wow!! I'd take the Matisse.

Hey Joanna

Realistically, if the piece said something to me, then I might have jumped at it. The hype he uses in the description is used by a great many art dealers. I've heard it all too many times before. When I started collecting Dali, they tried to use the same hype on me. Then I discovered that pencil and illustration drawings are more common than many think, and although they fetch good money on auction, there has to be some connection to their masterworks (ie. a study, or early conceptual drawing) for them to uphold their value within the eye of the collecting community. Otherwise, you'll quickly find that you've just thrown your money into an abyss.

Are you a Matisse fan?

Any interesting trade offers for your books? Heck, your a writer. I'm sure you are armed with a tonne of great stories and experiences.

Sorry if what i say seems outrageous but i cannot understand the price of this original art. In fact, it's just a name that you buy...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

It looks like it was drawn by my two years old daughter

Sorry if what i say seems outrageous but i cannot understand the price of this original art. In fact, it's just a name that you buy... 893whatthe.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

You are exactly right about only buying the name. thumbsup2.gif

And yet, you'd be amazed at the folks that throw endless streams of money into these things. popcorn.gif

I guess... kind of like how our friends and families look at our fascination with comics, and spending anything more than cover price for a comic. Lets not even go to that discussion about how they give us one of these 893whatthe.gif when we go after a hyper-high grade specimen.

sign-funnypost.gif

It almost suggests that doesn't it? I don't know. I'm not much into crude examples. I like detail. I like to know that an artist has laboured over a piece. Otherwise -- and I know it sounds so cliche -- I just don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

...kind of like how our friends and families look at our fascination with comics, and spending anything more than cover price for a comic. Lets not even go to that discussion about how they give us one of these when we go after a hyper-high grade specimen.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hum... yes, nice comparison...

Am I right in thinking that you would make the same statement on one of Picasso's more 'simple' pieces? I think that some people here are dramatically understating the influence of certain artist's work on the field of art. The 'simplicity' of such art is in itself hugely influential.

Why would "with COA" be enough proof that it's an original Matisse?

::sarcasm on::

But its enough for my Valiant VVSS, DF, Wizard 1/2, Northland, Circle 8, Mile High II, and other assorted books. Are you saying that COA's are not enough proof....no,no,no, say it ain't so...what will I cling to now. Whats that you say, some one has a CGC signature series book for sale....well then that is totally different.

::sarcasm off::

tongue.gif

Why would "with COA" be enough proof that it's an original Matisse?

Good question. The reason why I don't deviate from the two artists I collect is because I know their work very well. I've spent thousands of hours of research, and feel fairly comfortable about purchasing, even when an obscure pencil or illustration drawing surfaces.

That said, I believe that a COA is a form of buyers protection, and the dealer/institution that sold you the work would be held liable should you have an expert examine the piece, discovering that its a fake or a knock-off.

I don't want to take any shots against the art dealer community, but their are some problems with buying a piece purely on the priniciple that it has a COA. Mainly, that with an exceptionally rare piece, collegialiasm and peer review run rampant within the art dealer community, and you would be hard-pressed to find a Matisse expert who wasn't either directly/indirectly involved with the transaction, or knows the owner that sold the piece to you. In such cases, an impartial examination of its authenticity is difficult to obtain. Knowing your art, and sticking with one or two artists is impertive. Having a second-opinion from someone that you can trust can also go a long way.

Hey Joanna

Realistically, if the piece said something to me, then I might have jumped at it. The hype he uses in the description is used by a great many art dealers. I've heard it all too many times before. When I started collecting Dali, they tried to use the same hype on me. Then I discovered that pencil and illustration drawings are more common than many think, and although they fetch good money on auction, there has to be some connection to their masterworks (ie. a study, or early conceptual drawing) for them to uphold their value within the eye of the collecting community. Otherwise, you'll quickly find that you've just thrown your money into an abyss.

Are you a Matisse fan?

I'm sure you're right, but I like the sketch.

Any interesting trade offers for your books? Heck, your a writer. I'm sure you are armed with a tonne of great stories and experiences.

For my books? Nope, and not likely. The only trade I can ever remember was with my LCS. I got four Simpsons #1 comics signed by Matt Groening (and he drew a little Bart sketch on each of them). The LCS owner offered me a JLofA #7 for one of my signed Simpsons. I took the trade. I still have the 3 other signed Simpsons books and the JLA #7. I couldn't bring myself to sell the #7 because it was the very first "expensive" comic I ever owned. Until that point I'd been reading cover price or less moderns. That JLA #7 opened my eyes to early SA books and the fever was born (I think it was around then that I realized I might be able to find the books I read as a kid). I'll probably sell the #7 next time I have to pay a bill, of course. I haven't found wherever I filed the Simpsons comics. They're here somewhere, but it involves heavy lifting and that's not my thing (bad back). I'll find them eventually. And then Major Khaos will grovel like a little girl.

-- Joanna

And then Major Khaos will grovel like a little girl.

You can sign me up for the groveling as well. When you do find them, I would be very interested in one as well.

cloud9.gif

Really? Hmm... might be worth a search. I have 3, I can sell 2 and still have the auto of one of my idols.

So how much would a copy be worth? (condition unknown until found, but they were unread, bagged and boarded as soon as they were signed. I'd already read the issue so I didn't need to mess with the auto copies).

I traded a beat up run of Tomb Of Dracula(VG-VF- on average) #5-#54 for a NM run of Famous Monsters #22-#28 and #89-#144, these babies are amazingly pristine with perfect gloss and color, majority would get at least a 9.4 with about three getting a 6.0 or so. I thought it was a pretty good deal for me in the late ninties. The guy who traded them thought I was an absolute fool for making such a trade. I thought different.

I have a few other good trade stories, like a Kamandi#1(F+/VF-) for a rolled copy of the original 'Blade Runner' (NM)movie poster back in the early nineties I also traded a full run of pre-unity Valiants for a stack of higher grade(VF up) copies of amazing spidey in the #30's through #60's, still can't get over that one. I really lucked out, cause all Valients crashed like a month or two later... Close call.