• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Con in Rockford, Illinois on Saturday, May 31st

8 posts in this topic

I just got an e-mail notifying me that there will be a Comic Con at the Holiday Inn on East State Street in Rockford, Illinois next Saturday, May 31st. Admission is FREE. Hours are 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The Holiday Inn is located at 7550 East State Street just off of I-90 on the east side of Rockford. For further details contact Alan Morton at adm222@yahoo.com or at 1-309-657-1599.

Mike (shark2557)

By all indications it seems that the Rockford Comic Show at the Holiday Inn went well today. I didn't sell as many comics as I would have liked, but it was still a nice day for all of the dealers. I spoke with coordinator Alan Morton after the show and he indicated they would probably have the show in Rockford again maybe sometime in October. The place was hopping between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM but cooled off after that. I've attached some photos I took to show everyone what the comics and crowd looked like.

Mike

RockfordComicShow1.jpg

RockfordComicShow2.jpg

RockfordComicShow3.jpg

RockfordComicShow4.jpg

RockfordComicShow5.jpg

rockfordComicShow6.jpg

RockfordComicShow7.jpg

RockfordComicShow8.jpg

RockfordComicShow9.jpg

RockfordComicShow10.jpg

Yeah, I took my digital camera along with me and snapped these pics. I noticed there was another photographer there who had some pretty sophisticated equipment with him but I'm not sure who he worked for or why he was taking pictures. Maybe for the local newspaper???

Like I said earlier, it would have been nice to sell more but I got to meet some of my fellow collectors and learn a little bit about what's hot and what's not. I handed out a number of business cards and since I live in the immediate area I can hopefully make contact again with some of the potential buyers. One guy from Aurora came in and bought a ton of comics. He basically spent most of the day at the show. I asked him later what he thought he spent and he said around $1,400 to $1,500! We need more guys like him attending these shows! (worship)

There's one thing I did that I'd like to see a lot of other dealers do. I had a long box of comics priced at 50 cents each. On the front of the box I said "All kids 12 and under may take 2 comics from this box FREE of charge." I just thought it would be nice if all of the kids could take home a couple of comics even if mom or dad wouldn't or couldn't buy some for them.

I ended up spending part of my profit for the day to the old guy next to me. He sells old printing plates from comic books from the 1950's and I bought a plate from Tom and Jerry #144 from 1956. The plate is for pages 6 and 27 from the comic. Now I just have to go buy the comic so I can open it up and frame both the plate and the comic together. :wishluck:

TomandJerry144PrintingPlate1.jpg

TomandJerry144PrintingPlate2.jpg

Mike

When looking at some of the picture you took my some is in a couple of them.

He's the little blonde reaching to look through some of the boxes of comic lol

I hope alan does this again in rockford still think it was a great show..

Those are some really nice plates you picked up as well.

So you were at the show? I had 1 table in between the old guy with the printing plates and Bill, the guy who had at least 6 tables going. I had a few CGC comics out on the table.

Mike

FYI- I am the guy who was in charge of the event.

There was someone there from the Rockford Register star taking pictures. I checked out the Sunday paper at WalMart Sunday night and did not find any in a cursury glance. Maybe someone else who gets the paper can see if any got published.

I also took a handful of pics, but the roll of film is not yet completed so it has not been taken in for developing.

All of the dealers seemed to be happy and indicated they would be willing to do another one. I have been starting events in a whole bunch of cities this year and so far all have done well. The first scond time in one of these cities will be Sunday in Ft Wayne, IN. so we will see how the second try goes around. I suspect that another will be held in Rockford most likely when the hotel's lack of decent AC will not be a problem. Hopefully their furnace will be OK.