• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 to horde from the Copper Age

65 posts in this topic

Those in the "know" would pay more for these final issues due to more difficulty finding them...but not premium prices. They knew the series was dollar fodder and paid for these issues accordingly. It wasn't until people, to include but not limited to Wizard, started "hyping" these final issues as scarce did you see a spike as the speculators jumped in...

That's exactly right, but be prepared to be hammered by the Wizard Speculators who are holding these books for the flip. lol

There is no arguing with you. You are always correct. Preach on.

[You are always correct. Preach on.

Not always, but in this case I am.

I hate to admit it, but I read Wizard religiously back then, both for its unintended humor and some of the articles, and I can guarantee that their final-issue "Hot Picks" and speculator articles played a HUGE role in the current pricing structure.

[You are always correct. Preach on.

Not always, but in this case I am.

I hate to admit it, but I read Wizard religiously back then, both for its unintended humor and some of the articles, and I can guarantee that their final-issue "Hot Picks" and speculator articles played a HUGE role in the current pricing structure.

Agree to disagree. I don't have anywhere near the comic knowledge you do, but I have specialized in GI JOE and TF for as long as I have read or dealt with comics. I just think you are wrong in this instance and that's fine. I just wish you would look at the other information that people are giving you and not discount everything.

I disagree on GI Joe 151-155. Those books have commanded a premium for at least 10 years, along with the GI Joe Special 1, which for many years wasn't even listed in Overstreet.

Yeah, that's about right. The mid-1990s was about the time that Wizard first came out hyping "scarce" last issues which first highlighted Star Wars #107 as one of their "Hidden Treasures" due to then "hot" artist Whilce Portacio's inking in the issue...

Jim

You are aware these books were published in the mid-90s???

Yep...Star Wars #107 was only the start of a trend for Wizard to highlight the "last issue" of almost all long running titles due to the very apparent, and very much in the news. shrinking comics readership and their associated belief that they were scarce to find as a result. SW, TF and GI Joe got more coverage than others since Wizard had branched out into reporting the toy market as well...

There was one point where Wizard recommended getting the last issues of Alf... lol

Jim

There was one point where Wizard recommended getting the last issues of Alf... lol

Funny story...

When Lighthouse ran his store in San Antonio there used to be this guy they called ALF who came in all the time. They called him ALF because, well, he was a nut for ALF (duh!). Anyway, one day Lighthouse decides to f'k with him a little and put ALF #1 for $50 and ALF #50 (or whatever the last issue was) for $100 right smack in the middle of the back wall, right where ALF would see them.

So, in comes ALF. He looks around and dead stops when he sees the books... wow! ALF #1 and ALF #50... for $150. :o Then he starts with the questions (use your best total geek, never gonna get laid, fanboy voice to read this)... "Um, I see you, um, have and ALF #50... for $100. Um, what's with that price... um, $100 is really a lot of money. Is it really worth that much?"

To which Lighthous, being Lighthouse, responds, "That book is crazy, insane rare... $100 is a steal. When was the last time you saw one of these? I just got this in and was trying to move it fast so I've got it marked low... but it won't last."

ALF spent the next 20 or 30 minutes scratching his head trying to figure a way to buy the book... sell some of his other ALFs... borrow money from mom... turn a trick for Lighthouse in the back room... whatever it takes to get out the door with the ultra rare ALF #50. There was some serious head scratching going on for a long time.

I don't really know what happened to the guy but I know he didn't buy the book. It stayed on the wall for a long time after that with the stupid price just to get reactions from other customers. He probably ended up selling it for $10 in one of his 90% off sales.