• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie CGC grading question

4 posts in this topic

I was able to buy a cheap cgc graded asm v2 30 at 9.6. I have a personal copy as well and I wanted to see how cgc grades. The graded copy has noticeable spinewear at the bottom of the book starting at the bottom staple with just a slight bit of a paper thread that sticks out at the bottom corner. Just above the bottom staple there are two spine dings but it does not break the color. The cover itself does not show any dings. If grading superstrict, I would not have given it a 9.6, maybe a 9.4. I know grading is subjective and inconsitencies are inevitable, but is this standard grading? I am just trying to develope a better eye for grading.

That sounds about right. Of the few CGC books I have one is a Silver Age X-Men graded 8.0 and another SA X-Men graded 8.5. Personaly I would reverse the grades on these two books.

When I buy ungraded books on E-bay (that's mostly what I buy) I expect up to a one point margin of error in grading. When I buy a CGC book I expect up to a .5 margin of error.

Wouldn't know...all my ASM v2 36's were graded at 9.8 and up tongue.gif !!!

J/K...the spinal wear will knock it easily below 9.8. You are lucky to have gotten a 9.6. It must have been more like 9.4/9.6/9.6 on the grader's scorecards and they gave you the 9.6. If book is loose you can get post grading damage like smushed corners by handling of the CGC case.

On a 9.6 a spinal ding may appear, but the rest of the book should be in perfect shape...IMO