• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on a new Price Guide?

47 posts in this topic

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems to be about to launch.Does anyone know anything about it?

www.comicforce.com

How can I have a comment about a website that is doing nothing but collecting email addresses?

They don't even want to provide a description of what they are launching? :screwy:

Competion never hurts! Bring in some new blood,maybe that prices over 9.2. :wishluck:

You are kidding right? :insane: Overstreet -because of its rich history- will always be the Bible of comic book grading. Period.

Overstreet had a rich history. But Overstreet began when buying mail order from ads and buying from LCS was the norm. OS never kept up with the times and is too formulaic, as was proven during the great SA decline when they took pre-hero marvels and applied an across-the-board reduction, ignoring the fact that early JIM and Strange Tales actually were pre-code horror, only to be corrected later.

The resources are here to create a real "price realized" guide. That would be far more useful than another year of the same over/under prices, depending on whether it is a key (under) or a modern (over).

The resources are here to create a real "price realized" guide. That would be far more useful than another year of the same over/under prices, depending on whether it is a key (under) or a modern (over).

GPA'll do until that comes along. I really should get some sort of commission for plugging their service all the time. :sumo:

GPA'll do until that comes along. I really should get some sort of commission for plugging their service all the time. :sumo:

Hugs and kisses??? (shrug)(worship)

Oh all right then.

You don't get the annual gift basket that we get over here?

Hugs and kisses??? (shrug)(worship)

Oh all right then.

You don't get the annual gift basket that we get over here?

Nope. :(

I've got copies of every Overstreet since issue 4. It is was the bible of comic collecting but competition never hurts and Overstreet does not always normally reflect the true price a comic sells for, and it should.

(thumbs u

I haven't cracked open this so-called "bible" for purchasing purposes in years.

Wanna know the going rate for HG's? Check out the comic web sites & auction houses for past sales (and GPA of course).

The rest of the drek...ebay "completed sales."

Rick

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems to be about to launch.Does anyone know anything about it?

www.comicforce.com

How can I have a comment about a website that is doing nothing but collecting email addresses?

They don't even want to provide a description of what they are launching? :screwy:

:screwy: is right,

I'd like to see a monthly OS update again that reflects some of the current market changes, and accurately reflects new issue pricing.

It seems like the bible takes 3-5 years to price in some of the market shifts that occur.

I strongly doubt that OS would want to put a monthly pricing update in the marketplace again. Especially when he likes to show nice steady price increases in order to reinforce the impression that the market is always strong and always rising over the long term.

And as we all know, the new book market really moves much more like a roller coaster that can't get past its first dip. To reflect accurate pricing on new books would force OS to show that almost 99% of new books are selling at only pennies to the dollar after a year or so.

Definitely not something that OS would want to show as this just paints a bad picture of the marketplace.

In almost 40 years,Overstreet has never listed a legit book as being worth less than its cover price.I seriously doubt he ever will.Weekly,monthly,Annual,there is no reason to think they would change that policy.

I agree. They should foot your bill for pressing red pants!

I like GPA. But they deal with CGC'd books and OS deals with raw. GPA is pretty much right on target for CGC'd books. All I am saying is I would like to see the same for raw, and OS should have the resources to do it - but maybe not the inclination. They need to get away from the "formula" updates.

Any way to ascertain OS sales for past years?

Curious if they're still selling well, or not? hm

Being the cautious people they are, I'm guessing they won't even consider waking up in this century -current pricing wise- until sales slip enough. Guess the numbers aren't low enough...yet?

Rick

Sorry to all that I missed this board, I would have jumped in earlier to give you all some feedback and updates on comicforce.com as it must seem strange that it's only sitting there accepting emails for launch.

The ad campaign ran ahead of the site launch and there were some last minute issues that needed to be worked out before we go live. We just updated the ad for the National, so check that out when you have a chance.

The price engine that drives comicforce.com is similar to the one we developed for www.t206.net - www.1933goudey.com - www.1957topps.com etc. Check out any of those sites (also free) to see how it works with a search engine front end driving the site. Basically, if you specify the player name, grading company, and grade, the site can tell you the market price of that discreet card with price trending and an historical baseline. You can also click the pdsearch link on the front-page to use pull-downs instead. All of the columns in the landing pages are sortable, and you can roll-over the trend graphs to get the tool tips that show the transaction info.

The use case for these sites and for comicforce.com is, "I have a card or a comic book that I would like to quickly query the market price for. I don't want to sign-up for anything, I certainly don't want to pay for market data, and it should be easy to query any book or card in any grade that I am interested in, like from a search engine.

We started developing the price engine technology around t206 tobacco baseball cards because the set is large, spans three years, has no card numbers, has a significant amount of variation in the set, not to mention the backs, and was generally very difficult to produce with any kind of accuracy.

So T206 is the sandbox that drives new app dev for the sites. There is a lot more coming in terms of features and functionality -- the goal is to become the statement of record for comic book market prices and other collectibles.

On the front page of any of the sites --= comicforce.com will be no exception, there are links to the sites population report, player, grading co. and grade. It may take a minute to load the page as it is over 1MB of data now. This should give you a player/grade matrix with links in wach box for how many records we have of that particular player in that grade. Grading companies are listed at the top and can be clicked to quickly switch the population view. With this, you can quckly see how many baseline transactions there are for any item, grading co. and grade.

This is not perfect, by any means. It still needs a lot of work, and yes we will be launching soon, but we are very interested in getting some pre-release beta testers to get into the system before we launch it.

Any takers?

Many thanks,

David Simon