• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The silver age upgrade thread..show your before and afters!

7 posts in this topic

As my want list starts to shrink, I have taken to upgrading books I already own more and more. I thought it would be kind of cool to show the first copy of a book you have, and then what you got to upgrade it.

I have a couple to start this thread off with.

Here is a Brave and Bold 54 I bought in 1973 when I was 11. I am sure I paid no more than 25 or 50 cents for it. It is a complete dog. I can't tell you how many times I read it. I first saw the story in a Superboy 100 Pager, and was thrilled to own the original. The condition never entered into my mind!

bb54old.jpg

and recently upgrade with this copy:

bb54.jpg

Here is another B&B bought way back in the day. It is actually worse than it even looks. The cover is detached, and I also did a little amateur color touching on it with a felt pen back in like 1974. Probably have 50 cents to a dollar into this one:

bb35.jpg

bought this copy to replace it this year:

bb35cgc2.jpg

Re that Suspense 65, in the Iron Man story it's actually Tony Stark in the old armour - is this the only cover where the VILLAIN gets the "I'm in a really tough spot!" dialogue?

I've done a whole lotta upgrading over the years. The 3 raw copies shown here were all purchased in the early seventies. The top and bottom issues were from dealers advertising in The Buyer's Guide For Comic Fandom, whereas the middle issue was a "remaindered" copy with the top of the cover returned to the distributor and the rest of the book sold illegally and for dirt-cheap.

DD7raw.jpg

DD7cgc.jpg

FF116raw.jpg

FF116cgc.jpg

FF55raw.jpg

FF55.jpg