• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Next Modern Master?

5 posts in this topic

I love that TwoMorrows Publishing has a Modern Masters series of books, "Celebrating the lives and work of today’s greatest comics artists." So far, they've put out 18 volumes. They've covered Alan Davis, George Perez, Bruce Timm, Kevin Nowlan, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Art Adams, John Byrne, Walter Simonson, Mike Wieringo, Kevin Maguire, Charles Vess, Michael Golden, Jerry Ordway, Frank Cho, Mark Schultz, Mike Allred, Lee Weeks and John Romita, Jr.

I absolutely agree with some of their choices. I don't agree with others. But I do enjoy hearing the terms "comic art" and "modern master" linked together. Fun stuff. :grin:

The ground rules for a TwoMorrows MM? It seems to break down like this: It has to be an artist that is currently working in the field; someone that has produced a body of work over a lengthy period of time; and someone that draws for mainstream comics, working for both DC and Marvel (and, usually, other publishers as well).

It doesn't seem that popularity is a huge factor. Nowlan, Garcia-Lopez and Maguire (for example) are terrific artists but most fans will push past them to get J. Scott Campbell's autograph...if you know what I mean.

After talking to 'TStrong', I offer my pitch for the next TwoMorrows Master: Chris Sprouse. He's clocked in over fifteen years in the mainstream comics media. He's worked for the Big Two (and Dark Horse and Image). He's collected a pair of Eisner Awards...I think. Nominated for Eisners, anyway. Plus, he's not popular. But I think he's a helluva artist.

Anybody you want to suggest?