• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 19 CGC MINT 9.9

17 posts in this topic

It's a nice book, but I wonder how many times we're going to see it re-sold.

It's too expensive to hold onto, I think ultra high grade books carry above the norm value. But for this book you have to pay way too much of a premium. Of course people will get spooked on it. That's why it's for sale.

Brian

It's too expensive to hold onto

Not for several of the top 10 Spidey collectors. This book being on the market suggests to me that they might be voting "no" on books over 9.8!

I dunno, though, if I was a millionaire Spidey fanatic like one or two of those guys and this book looked totally flawless, I'd grab it...I wonder whether they've seen it up close and disagreed with the grade or something.

the difference in price from 9.6 to 9.9 is not worth it. especially for a non-key. How "cool" are the bragging rights to a Spidey#19 in the bestest condition possible? Not enough to warrant the ridiculous price it would take to buy it. Talk about being buried with a book!

Its always scary paying more than anyone else has ever paid for a particulat issue. Therefore, IMO, one must be very careful what book you buy. Can anyone actually see a way to make a profit someday with this copy? "Its future is all used up" at these prices.

It's more like, Yeah it's a AS #19 which before CGC was a common book as far as dealers go. It doesn't quite catch your attention based on the fact that it's

1). Not a #20, now that would never see the light of day again.

2). Not a #16

3). Not a #15, much better cover

Who's to say the "top 10" collectors even want it? Just because they might have the money to do so, it doesn't mean that they want the book.

As Bob said, it's really not that great of a cover.

And I just don't think that many people really feel like the diff of .2 is worth a couple thousand dollars.

Brian

The story I've heard is that the books came from a long time collector in DC who had a heart attack and, after surviving, decided to smell the roses (or something like that) and sold his books. The original buyer was Terry's Comics and "hippie Dave" from Tysons, who sold it at San Diego (again, this is all third hand, I may e completely off base). Bob probably knows better than I do.

The story I've heard is that the books came from a long time collector in DC who had a heart attack and, after surviving, decided to smell the roses (or something like that) and sold his books. The original buyer was Terry's Comics and "hippie Dave" from Tysons, who sold it at San Diego (again, this is all third hand, I may e completely off base). Bob probably knows better than I do.
That's essentially the story that Terry told me when I asked him about the source of the book a few years ago after it sold in San Diego. Apparently, Spider-man was one of the few Marvel titles that he bought. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yup, Terry was shopping the book. Taking offers in San Diego. Serious offers were being made at the show but I think it's basically that all you are buying is the 9.9 label and in this case that isn't worth $18,000. In this case it would be ok to have a 9.6 copy and let somebody else sweat and pray that there isn't another one out there.