• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Five deadly venoms is showing on showtime!

7 posts in this topic

i love this frickin gung fu movie, it's a classic! cloud9.gif i own a pirated copy that i bought at the wonder con back in 1999. does anybody else remember this movie back from 1977? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This movie was part of my second published review:

"...Five (Deadly) Venoms. Everything you could ever want from '70's kung fu is in this Chang Cheh directed assassin- fest; wild kung fu powers, colorful costumes, crazed murder techniques and plenty of good 'old violent mayhem are all present and accounted for. Plus, as an added bonus, this movie has a heck of a plot. The Venoms, known only by their code names; Snake, Scorpion, Centipede, Toad and Lizard, are all former members of the assassin guild known as "The Poison Clan." They were trained by this master who is dying (he is only kept alive by this steam bath type contraption) and he fears that his make- the- CIA- jealous murder skills are being used for evil, so he sends his last student to find and stop The Venoms. The thing is, even the master doesn't know their real names, what they really look like (they wear these crazy hoods) or where they currently are. To further complicate matters, none of the Venoms themselves know more than one other Venom (Snake knows Centipede but doesn't know Scorpion, Toad or Lizard, etc.) Chang Cheh handles all of this cloak and dagger stuff with real skill, which makes the film interesting even when they aren't fighting, which is a big plus for films from this period.

Two more nuggets from this film and then it's au revoir; first, there is a scene with an Iron Maiden in it that is totally relevant to the plot (a rare occurrence I'm sure) and, second, one of the Venoms is played by Philip Kwok Kuo-Chui.. He was the stunt coordinator and played the memorable role of "Mad-dog" in John Woo's love letter to ultraviolence, Hard Boiled."

For my money, Chang Cheh's best movie is Chinese Super-Ninjas/ Five Element Ninjas. It's everything that Five Venoms is on steroids.

One of these days, this film, and the rest of the Shaw Brothers catalog, is going to be released, remastered and subtitled by Celestial who bought the entire Shaw catalog. Unfortunately there are no plans for Region 1 releases. The bootlegs will get a lot better though.

they wear these crazy hoods

i do believe they wach wore different masks. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif none the less, it's a four star movie in my book. acclaim.gif

301769-venoms1.jpg

301769-venoms7.jpg

here's a site that sells it on DVD

ASIAN K.I.S.S. ??? I think that is Gene Simmons in the solo shot? "I...wanna rock n roll ..all niiight..."