• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 129 9.8 White pages

91 posts in this topic

I am looking for what fellow board members think this book will go up to. I have a 9.8 CGC and a raw just as nice. If not a bit nicer. It is my personal grail. I have a number in mind. So far I'm the high bidder... Thanks for any input you guy's have. This may be the book I sold raw on EBay about 2 years ago. I am doing some detective work to see if it is the same book.

59431-c733_3.JPG.32e3836c351ff8f607e3bc5b07e62a85.JPG

Hats off to whoever nails it, but I could never even dream of paying that much for

this BA key - to each his own but I would find another area that I felt was more solid

to put 15k into..

Like a nice AF 15 perhaps...

:cloud9:

I just sold earlier this year hear my 129 9.0 White Pages for about $500...it was to me one insanely beautiful perfectly aligned copy...and that's where it gets pretty insane...everything after that is just the CGC game...crack the 9.0 out of the case and the 9.8 and show them raw to a potential buyer and you're back to micro-comparison...and bear in mind there are many Bronze/Modern copies in 9.6/9.8 that don't even offer perfect alignment...

Give me the $500 dollar copy all day!

This is the basic rub between collecting and investing... 2c

crack the 9.0 out of the case and the 9.8 and show them raw to a potential buyer and you're back to micro-comparison

You really think the differences between a 9.0 and a 9.8 are "micro" differences?

crack the 9.0 out of the case and the 9.8 and show them raw to a potential buyer and you're back to micro-comparison

You really think the differences between a 9.0 and a 9.8 are "micro" differences?

Maybe there are mico differences between 9.6 and 9.8, but comparing 9.0 and 9.8 is another story ... just my 2c .

I think there are some instances where a 9.0 and an 9.8 are not far off, especially if you consider that on one day a 9.8 is a 9.8 and on the next day it is a 9.6.

I have a modern 9.8 I bought site-unseen and it is definately no better than a 9.4, and probably wouldn't score any higher than that on a resubmit.

But technically, I think a 9.8 is allowed to have one minor defect from the list of allowable defects (printing issues, unless major, don't count either). So you can have a 9.8 with two fuzzy corners on the spine, and one other minor defect.

On the 9.0 end, I think you are allowed 4 minor defects, or one major defect and a couple minor defects. The allowable defects list grows larger too.

But the 9.0 could have two soft corners on the spine, but from wear and not printing defects. It's possible that these could look no worse than the bindery defects from the 9.8. Then it has the one additional minor defect that is the same as the one on the 9.8. So now you are at three minor defects.

At this point, appearance wise, the 9.0 and 9.8 could look the same. For the additional defect still present on the 9.0, it could just be of the type not allowed on a 9.8, but still minor, like a pencil mark on an interior page.

I'm sure they are rare, but with the current grading system, I'm pretty sure there can be times where a 9.0 and 9.8 might be indestinguishable at first glance, and will need a closer inspection (including the interior) to find the difference.

I don't know if this in a microscopic difference, but it is a non-obvious difference that you must look for.

Another good example that I have seen are two identical looking moderns, at first glance when they are slabbed. Both look nearly perfect, but one is a 9.9 and the other is a 7.0. In the slab, the difference is impossible to detect because the 7.0 was a non-obvious interior defect. The difference was a large color scrape on an interior page.

In truth, how many people pick up a modern book and flip through every page, closely examining each page? I doubt CGC even does it. I'd say they just skim the interior pages quickly, and one grader happen to catch the defect. You might resubmit the 7.0 book and the next time the scrape may go unoticed and you get another 9.9.

Or another example, books 9.6 and above must have both it's staples. If a book is printed and one staple is missed at the bindery (I've had a few books like this), it can't score higher than a 9.4. So it could be perfect in every way except one staple isn't there (and no holes are in the book, since a staple was never installed), and it getts a 9.4. While the 9.6 and 9.8 copies can have one or two minor defects, inaddtion to minor bindery defects. Another case where the 9.4 could look better than the 9.8, or even 9.9.

Maybe there are mico differences between 9.6 and 9.8, but comparing 9.0 and 9.8 is another story ... just my 2c .

9.0 and 9.8 are pretty much night and day. A 9.8 could be allowed 1 small flaw, maybe a very small ncb or slightly rounded corner. A 9.0 would most likely have a small accumulation of defects.

Still the point is there IS a difference betwen 9.0 and 9.8 and it is quantifiable. It's not just a guess. Sure it can go 9.6/9.8 on a given day but then we all have our moments.

If I have the $$ I will always buy the highest grade copy I can afford.

R.

I just sold earlier this year hear my 129 9.0 White Pages for about $500...it was to me one insanely beautiful perfectly aligned copy...and that's where it gets pretty insane...everything after that is just the CGC game...crack the 9.0 out of the case and the 9.8 and show them raw to a potential buyer and you're back to micro-comparison...and bear in mind there are many Bronze/Modern copies in 9.6/9.8 that don't even offer perfect alignment...

(thumbs u

I'll always go for the book that presents best. I'd rather have a 9.0 with good QP than a 9.6 with a miswrap (not sure if production defects are allowed on 9.8).

Mike

Still the point is there IS a difference betwen 9.0 and 9.8 and it is quantifiable. It's nut just a guess. Sure it can go 9.6/9.8 on a given day but then we all have our moments.

R.

(thumbs u I would rather go with the highest grade raw I can afford for my own collection. And not the first issue that popped up.. Except all star 13, they are pretty much all beaters.

Collecting vs. investing is a good arguement. If you are just collecting, why not just buy a VF+ and save yourself a ton of dough ?

Still the point is there IS a difference betwen 9.0 and 9.8 and it is quantifiable. It's nut just a guess. Sure it can go 9.6/9.8 on a given day but then we all have our moments.

R.

(thumbs u I would rather go with the highest grade raw I can afford for my own collection. And not the first issue that popped up.. Except all star 13, they are pretty much all beaters.

Collecting vs. investing is a good arguement. If you are just collecting, why not just buy a VF+ and save yourself a ton of dough ?

And yes eye appeal will be taken into account...hence my dilemma on the duplicate JIM #84 copies I posted in the Silver Forum.

R.

I am looking for what fellow board members think this book will go up to. I have a 9.8 CGC and a raw just as nice. If not a bit nicer. It is my personal grail. I have a number in mind. So far I'm the high bidder... Thanks for any input you guy's have. This may be the book I sold raw on EBay about 2 years ago. I am doing some detective work to see if it is the same book.

Where is this book being sold?

(thumbs u

I'll always go for the book that presents best. I'd rather have a 9.0 with good QP than a 9.6 with a miswrap (not sure if production defects are allowed on 9.8).

Mike

Word, bro. (thumbs u

FT

Who remembers the 90s