• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Signature Series Add Value to Your Collection?

85 posts in this topic

It depends on the artist. I don't think anyone really needs another book signed by John Cassaday.

Yup. In some cases, UNsigned copies are the true rarity.

That's a silly statement. Even the most SS'd creators have signed a mere fraction of the print runs of any given book they have worked on.

Take for example, the Aspen variant of Civil War #1 --- I've seen a ton of these done at nearly every show Michael has attended, yet the census shows that there are 317 copies that have been SS'd, 56 Qualified and 508 Universal. Print run on that book was 5000 copies - that's less than 1% of the book's print run that has been submitted for SS to date.

So?

Well, you certainly stumped me with that response.

Don't you think that the supply has exceeded the demand for certain artists? Cassady and Turner are the first two that come to mind.

This is funny, in less than a year, I've "been turned to the Dark Side." VaderSmiley.gif

I looked back for my first post on this in the Signature Room.....

Again, I'm not attacking or poking fun. Collect what makes you happy and I'll do the same. I really want to know what collectors see in SS books that I don't. Having Stan "The Man" Lee sign your FF #1 or X-Men #1 boggles my mind to start with (why would you lay out that kind of cash to have some guy scribble on the cover?) but even more puzzling for me are the Iron Fist book and the X-Men #266 in this thread. Stan didn't technically have anything to do with those.

I get books signed as a souvenir of meeting a favorite creator. I don't generally get them signed through the mail or buy the already signed, but if a personal favorite is at a show, I'll stand in line to get a sig. I even did it for Stan in San Diego last year-for the record, I had him sign my Marvel Farnatsic Firsts HB.

I'm old school though, and writing on the book is writing on the book, especially on the cover. So convince me other wise! What is it that SS collectors see that I don't? Help me out here!

Since then, I have not only been turned on to the joy of Signature Series, I've gone wild with them! They now make up more than 25% of my total CGC collection and are growing all the time. I've got to give credit to JonJesper, Pirate, TheCollector and Kevin Boyd for rekindling my interest in collecting in general by pulling me in to the Signature Series phenomenon. I haven't limited myself to signed books at all, but they did pull me back in.

Now as to value..... hm .......sometimes they add value. Sometimes it's just some guy scribbling on your book, take the Stan Lee ASM #129 for example, that was a beautiful book that I personally consider destoryed now, and I'm a huge supporter of CGC SS (even more so with sketches) and a fan of Stan Lee. Why consider it destroyed? First of all Stan had nothing to do with the book in question, he didn't write it, he didn't edit it, he didn't create the Punisher (which is why the book is popular in the first place), and he thankfully didn't do the art! Now, he did create the title character, but is that enough for this book to be signed by him? Not to me, but I'm just one guy. Second, the sketch is ugly. I don't care if Stan Lee is reading this, it is an ugly sketch. Now, had he done a spider no bigger than say a dime, it might be different, but the "art" obscures a big part of the cover.

When it comes to value and Signature Series, I think it's all about aesthetics. Just like the rest of autograph collecting, contrast is needed between the signature and the background. Even if Steve Ditko signed a book in black ink on a navy blue background for CGC SS, I might have reservations about it. In reality, a good portion of what the buyer is paying for is the signature and what is the point if you can't readily find the signature?

Another big part of autograph collecting is finding a good example of both the signature and the signer. Would you rather have a picture of Harrison Ford from "Sabrina" signed with a drunken scrawl or a picture of him as Han Solo signed neatly in silver ink? Same goes to comics, would you prefer a Stan Lee on Wolverine LS #3 or on a reprint of AF #15? I think this is why variants tend to be popular with Signature Series collectors, as they tend to be better examples of a given artist's work and generally stand out.

I would say that as a rule, I think that Signature Series adds value to a book and I know it adds to my enjoyment of the hobby.

It is just like any other comic. It depends on the supply and demand. Why would you want to crack an SS book anyway?
Take for example the Mile High book signed by Frazetta. Plenty of GA collectors like to crack books out of slabs. Sometimes, a book may be so hard to find that a slab is your only chance to read it. Now work backwards. A collector looking for a book finds, after much searching, only a SS copy. Knowing that they can buy it, read it and slab it later in a GLOD, I would argue that either 1) they pass or 2) the signature add nothing or 3) the signature is a negative on price.

We haven't seen it much yet. But you can bet we will if everyone and there grandma keeps getting vintage and rare books SS'd.

You make a really good point with this. I would say the majority of CGC SS books from the GA are available in reprints. Naturally, your example is the exception that proves the rule.

lol

So?

Don't you think that the supply has exceeded the demand for certain artists? Cassady and Turner are the first two that come to mind.

Obviously not if people keep requesting their autographs on their comics and continue to buy SS books with their autographs on them. Perhaps if they stopped actively producing new comics the numbers would slow, but these guys are still producing and the fans are still supporting them.

I think everyone knows my stance on this, but as with most things in life, people are free to spend their money they they see fit, even if I think it's :screwy: to scrawl all over a pristine, vintage comic.

I feel the same way. I personally do not like sigs on a book. :shrug: I do think some are pretty cool but it's just not my cup of tea.

Do not think they are cool! That leads to temptation, temptation leads to experimentation, experimentation leads to the dark side...... yoda.gif

Kevin's comments about having signature combos and sketches are very valid. It would be cool to try to figure out the variable component here, although I think it may be a task in futility.

Combos are always good, but I think the true value will vary from person to person. (shrug)

It depends on the artist. I don't think anyone really needs another book signed by John Cassaday.

In San Diego in '06, I think Forrest Ackerman made that same comment about Ray Bradbury books! lol

But I looked for along time to find a CGC SS book from Bradbury....... :(

So?

Turner, for sure, has to be close to saturation, I didn't realize there were so many for Cassady, but I haven't looked for one either.

I don't collect CGC SS books for investment, I just love the idea of adding an autograph of my favorite artist/writer to my favorite comics. Do they add value I guess it depends on what type of value you are talking about. When it comes to my PC there is more value involved then just finacial value.

So?

Turner, for sure, has to be close to saturation, I didn't realize there were so many for Cassady, but I haven't looked for one either.

As I said before, I don't think we're anywhere near saturation on Turner when there are still dozens of people showing up to conventions with bags full of Turner books they want submitted for the SS program like they did in LA and Philly. His fans seem to love SS, as well as all of the variants and prints they release at each show. You or I may scratch are heads and wonder why, but it hasn't come close to slowing down, and his illness and absences make them want his autograph more than ever.

So?

As I said before, I don't think we're anywhere near saturation on Turner when there are still dozens of people showing up to conventions with bags full of Turner books they want submitted for the SS program like they did in LA and Philly. His fans seem to love SS, as well as all of the variants and prints they release at each show. You or I may scratch are heads and wonder why, but it hasn't come close to slowing down, and his illness and absences make them want his autograph more than ever.

I see your point, but I think we're talking about two different aspects here. His fans are still lining up, no doubt there. But in the market, eBay in particular, they don't seem to do very well, with many being listed repeatedly.

I don't collect CGC SS books for investment, I just love the idea of adding an autograph of my favorite artist/writer to my favorite comics. Do they add value I guess it depends on what type of value you are talking about. When it comes to my PC there is more value involved then just finacial value.

Certainly, but even with personal choice there are still financial considerations.

So?

I see your point, but I think we're talking about two different aspects here. His fans are still lining up, no doubt there. But in the market, eBay in particular, they don't seem to do very well, with many being listed repeatedly.

True enough. But I'd have to take a closer look at what was being offered on the secondary market and what people are asking for them to see what's not selling. But I would place an educated guess that with the number of Turner books out there, whether or not it moves depends on the book itself and the grade, and whether other sigs are present. World War Hulk, Wolverine Origins and Civil War variants also sell to Marvel collectors (not just Turner fans) just as Superman/Batman and Justice League comics sell to DC fans --- I can see those Marvel and DC books selling better when compared to the endless Fathom and Soulfire variants.

In San Diego in '06, I think Forrest Ackerman made that same comment about Ray Bradbury books! lol

I hate to tell you, but 4 Bradbury SS books had auctions end last night. I almost had one too.

I hate to tell you, but 4 Bradbury SS books had auctions end last night.

Really....? :whistle:

I almost had one too.

Horseshoes and handgrenades....... :devil: