• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Signature Series Add Value to Your Collection?

85 posts in this topic

I think everyone knows my stance on this, but as with most things in life, people are free to spend their money they they see fit, even if I think it's :screwy: to scrawl all over a pristine, vintage comic.

lol

I agree JC! I guess I can see getting a book signed by a comic legend. But I don't think I'd ever let anyone sign a NM book.

Just... seems wrong...

I just noticed that I think most of us are answering the wrong question. For the most part we/ve all looked at whether Signature Series adds value to the book being signed. The question is "Do Signature Series Add Value to Your Collection?" Granted Whet's article looks at adding value to the book, but the question actaully asked is does it add value to your collection?

That one is easy. Yes, CGC SS adds value to my collection! It's brought me back into collecting in a big, big way. Keep in miind that value doesn't have to be monetary, there is value in happiness too!

I just noticed that I think most of us are answering the wrong question. For the most part we/ve all looked at whether Signature Series adds value to the book being signed. The question is "Do Signature Series Add Value to Your Collection?" Granted Whet's article looks at adding value to the book, but the question actaully asked is does it add value to your collection?

That one is easy. Yes, CGC SS adds value to my collection! It's brought me back into collecting in a big, big way. Keep in miind that value doesn't have to be monetary, there is value in happiness too!

(thumbs u Well said Brother! I even prefer the creator to sign it "To Chris". You can't put a dollar amount on happiness! (Unless you are talking about a "happy ending" -$100 without the gagball-$200 with-something about disinfecting...whatever..)

hm

:banana:Chris

Does SS add value to a collection?

I believe they do, but just as someone buys blue label books or raw books, you have to be informed. If you are sitting on 35 John Cassaday (just an example) there has to be a reason for it, and you are the person who purchased or requested to get your book(s) signed.

I think there are a lot of people who enjoy having *A* book signed by one of their favorites. As Kevin mentioned, it is not even a dent in the total population and every day it seems to grow bigger.

Everything in moderation, including blue label, raw books, OA etc.

"Buy what you like, like what you buy..."

I'm not a huge fan of Signature Series books. I have about two dozen,but in every case but one,the SS sold for less than the GPA of a regular copy would go for.

I'm not crazy about getting books signed on the cover,myself,but recognize there is a large market for these books.

I won't pay one cent more for a SS book ,but if I can get it cheaper than a regular one,I'll buy all day.Of course,when it goes to selling them,I'd try to get a premium if possible.

I totally agree with your statement. But, for me, it does not add value. I'm not talking monetary. I just don't want someone scrawling their name on a beautiful looking book.

;)

People ask me all of the time at shows "will getting the signature on this book add value to this book?" or "will it be worth more?"

My reply is and always will be:

"It's one of the "eye of the beholder things", some will say it does, others will say it's writing on the cover and it's destroying the book. There are two camps out there and each has their own justifications, and each has it's own place in the secondary market like on eBay. The question you have to ask yourself is 'does this add value to you? Does having ____'s signature on this comic matter to you enough for you to pay this charge?'"

I guess I'm some where in the middle of the camps. While I believe a signature from someone that worked on the book is beneficial, I just don't understand having someone like Stan Lee or Joe Simon signing a Cap v5 #25.

The signature adds personal value not it being placed in a slab...

Jim

That one is easy. Yes, CGC SS adds value to my collection! It's brought me back into collecting in a big, big way. Keep in mind that value doesn't have to be monetary, there is value in happiness too!

Jim

I would disagree. Being placed in the slab offers authentication of the signature which adds personal or monetary value.

Jim

I would disagree. Being placed in the slab offers authentication of the signature which adds personal or monetary value.

See that where I differ in regards to a signed comic. The comic doesn't have personal value unless I was the one who got the signature. It's the meeting that makes the signature significant and adds value.

Buying a comic with a signature means nothing to me unless I have some connection to getting the signature. On it's own it's a comic that someone, someone famous maybe, wrote on. That doesn't do anything for me and I personally wouldn't want it for my collection. I'm not going to pay for something that is packaged as more personal than a typical comic when in fact there's nothing personal about it...

The Sig series seems to me like an attempt to merge two different collecting genres that don't really fit. I'm sure there a demand for them but I also see the Sig series turning a portion of the collecting crowd off. Either they don't want a comic that's written on or don't want a signature without the personal touch you get by meeting the creator.

Jim

Well, John Byrne signed what is now my X-Men 143 on my birthday. To me, that's personal.

Plus, autograph seeking has been part of comic collecting for decades. To say they don't compliment one another is a fallacy. Furthermore, not everyone has the ability to get something signed in person. This service offers everyone the opportunity to have an authentic signature, thereby giving them a more personal connection to the hobby as a whole.

Plus, autograph seeking has been part of comic collecting for decades.

Sure...and the seekers were mostly always the getters of the signature. The Sig series as a product cannot duplicate the personal touch of acquiring the signature and thus removes any perceived personal value. It's just a comic that's been written on in my opinion.

But hey to each their own...the question was asked and I answered it...

Jim

The Sig series seems to me like an attempt to merge two different collecting genres that don't really fit. I'm sure there a demand for them but I also see the Sig series turning a portion of the collecting crowd off. Either they don't want a comic that's written on or don't want a signature without the personal touch you get by meeting the creator.

Jim

Thats the best perspective I read on this subject to date (thumbs u It really is a case of two worlds colliding.

Particularly in light of the fact that OA is where the established signing is prevalent, and welcomed on mass.

Either they don't want a comic that's written on or don't want a signature without the personal touch you get by meeting the creator.

Jim

I will tell you one thing, Jim. I am a huge SS consumer. I have always loved it as a product, but I was kind of feeling dissassociated from the creators by not getting sigs myself. (Obviously they wouldn't be SS anyway, because I am not a witness, but i could always drag a witness along with me.) I decided to get into getting some of my own sigs at last years Mid-Ohio. For every great experience (Sergio Aragones) there was a terrible experience (Rich Buckler :censored:). For me it is far better to enjoy the autographed product, than to risk having my favorite creators turn out to be and ruin their work for me in toto. Ignorance is bliss. :P