• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Signature Series Add Value to Your Collection?

85 posts in this topic

You have a very valid point; however, I don't want to dedicate my free time to acquiring enough knowledge to know whether or not my Alan Davis signature is authentic.

(tsk)

Don't worry, it is. Forgers tend to stick to items for which there is demand and money -- Mickey Mantle, Ronald Reagan, Neil Armstrong, JFK, Lincoln, contemporary Hollywood, etc.

Not too many master forgers wasting their time on autographs desired by .00000001% of the population.

:baiting:

:kidaround::foryou:

I concur with those who say a sig is pretty meaningless unless you were there and it was signed specifically for you. That has value to me. Of course, then I don't need the SS slab since I already know it's a valid signature.

I own one yellow label.

I do see how foks can get into it and collect yellow labels though. I guess.

I've posted some thoughts in this thread and deleted them. Sometimes, I just type to hear myself talk and then realize, once people are set on a personal belief, you probably aren't going to convince them otherwise. Might as well tell them their religion is whack. Anyway, I'm an autograph collector. I have many signed raw books along side of Qualified slabs and SS slabs. There is nothing wrong with the way we did it old school and there is nothing wrong with the convenience that is offered today by our witnesses. Its called progress. It's just impossible for me to collect the signatures I want with my work schedule and I trust the SS program to deliver an authentic signed book when I am unable to do it myself. Sometimes the window of opportunity on certain artists or writers is cracked just enough that if you can't go, you better send someone in your place.

I'm an autograph collector. I have many signed raw books along side of Qualified slabs and SS slabs. There is nothing wrong with the way we did it old school and there is nothing wrong with the convenience that is offered today by our witnesses. Its called progress. It's just impossible for me to collect the signatures I want with my work schedule and I trust the SS program to deliver an authentic signed book when I am unable to do it myself. Sometimes the window of opportunity on certain artists or writers is cracked just enough that if you can't go, you better send someone to do your bidding.

I agree. I have CGC SS books myself.

I guess the commercialization of signatures -- and the manufactured authenticity scares to promote CGC SS -- irk me.

BTW, was browsing the LCS last week and picked up an Iron Man 128 about 9.0 for $12. I open it up, and lo and behold, a Bob Layton signature on the splash page.

:acclaim:

That's like when I found a 20 in my wifes jeans! Her loss.

When you think about it, the SS program really can't do it any other way. They aren't trying to downgrade all existing nonSS signatures by saying they are not authentic. They are just telling the truth by saying, if we didn't see it, we can't verify it. If they did try to authenticate a signature they did not witness, I wouldn't use the service.