• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

Toughest issue of Diary Secrets? Pictorial Romances? Teen-Age Romances?

Thoughts? Opinions? Contributions?

Each of us will probably have differences on the HTF issues. I know that I hardly ever see Baker romance books at conventions. The rare occasion was when Harley Yee came up with a bunch years and years ago. Most of my pickups were through Ebay and auction houses,Comicconnect in particular.

My toughest Diary Secrets, the previous mentioned 8 and 9, of course, but also

11 and 26.

Teen.Romances 10,11,23, 35,41,45

True Love Pict. 7,9

WTR 13, 14 I acquired my 17 quickly, upgraded it to my current copy, sold off the other.

I would agree Teen-age Romances 41 and 45 are both really tough. I was lucky to finally get a 45 just recently.

Here are my votes:

Toughest Diary Secrets (the 10-30 run, I mean): 13

Pictorial Romances: 23, hands down, followed by 14.

Teen-Age Romances: Probably 45

For PR, I have a 23, but haven't located a 14 (or a 15)

For Diary Secrets, I have two copies of 13, but no 11 or 30

Missing a lot of TAR, including 45

How about True Love Pictorial? Is 9 the toughest?

Leads me to wonder how many Bakers there are with fewer than 10 known copies. We would have to guess, of course, because there are many Bakers with fewer than 10 copies in the CGC census. We can reasonably suspect, though, that there are more than 10 raw copies of most of those.

So far, we have

Diary Secrets nn

All-Picture All-True Love Story 2

What about:

GCE 12

Romance Confession Stories

Record Book of Famous Police Cases (dubious about this one)

I'm probably forgetting some obvious candidates ....

All-True All-Picture Police Cases #2

Good one.

Here is the revised, revised list of toughest Bakers:

Secrets of True Love

Diary Secrets nn

All-Picture All-True Love Story 2

All-True All-Picture Police Cases 2

Giant Comics Editions 12

Romance Confession Stories

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 7

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 9

Record Book of Famous Police Cases

There was a consensus to cut APC 18

GCE 13 and 15 have been nominated, but I'm not sure they are quite as tough as the ones listed above. Any thoughts on those? Any more nominations? Did I overlook any other suggestions?

Here are my votes:

Toughest Diary Secrets (the 10-30 run, I mean): 13

Pictorial Romances: 23, hands down, followed by 14.

Teen-Age Romances: Probably 45

For PR, I have a 23, but haven't located a 14 (or a 15)

For Diary Secrets, I have two copies of 13, but no 11 or 30

Missing a lot of TAR, including 45

How about True Love Pictorial? Is 9 the toughest?

Based on a general census of how many copies I've seen in about 12 years, I'd say yes, 9 is the scarcest issue of TLP.

Sqeggs wrote:

"For Diary Secrets, I have two copies of 13, but no 11 or 30"

There's a 30 in my sig line...if that helps... ;)

And I'll bet if brian is ever starving to death, Sqeggs will give him a photo of a hamburger.

Sqeggs wrote:

"For Diary Secrets, I have two copies of 13, but no 11 or 30"

There's a 30 in my sig line...if that helps... ;)

And I'll bet if brian is ever starving to death, Sqeggs will give him a photo of a hamburger.

Or trade him one for that DS 30! :D

Whoa! That TAR 36 just went for a strong price. eBay auction

I'm surprised- you weren't even the underbidder this time.

Surprised the heck out of me, too! I have two copies already, but they are both beat. It's such a great cover that it attracted more interest than I expected.

The Baker tide is still coming in!

Surprised the heck out of me, too! I have two copies already, but they are both beat. It's such a great cover that it attracted more interest than I expected.

That auction made me dig out my own TAR 36 again... it seems to get nicer every time I see it again... that's because, I always think of it as a low grade copy, but in fact it's a decent looking VG/VG+. Soon I'll put it away again and go back to remembering it as being beat. :screwy:

That auction made me dig out my own TAR 36 again... it seems to get nicer every time I see it again... that's because, I always think of it as a low grade copy, but in fact it's a decent looking VG/VG+. Soon I'll put it away again and go back to remembering it as being beat. :screwy:

Or swap it for one of mine. Then it really will be beat! :D

This "strong price" stuff is killing me... doh! I refuse to play that game. Bakers are not so rare that we need to spend hundreds of $$$ on common issues. It's time to revolt and refuse to pay those prices. Sure, it feels good if you already own the book, but how are we going to ever complete our collections if dealers think they can get $300 a book, no matter what it is? I've only paid over $100 for one Baker book. This is ridiculous. I refuse to play that game. Bakers are like women, they just show up when you least expect it. I choose to wait for the bargains. rantrant

Glad I got my $5 TR 36 last week... :roflmao:

29dukedog said: "And I'll bet if brian is ever starving to death, Sqeggs will give him a photo of a hamburger." :roflmao::takeit:

Edited by tricolorbrian

I've been over paying for Bakers since 2002, and I still do. Back then, "over paying" meant $150. for a VG/F comic. Today, it might mean $350. or more for the same book. It's all relative.

And it's not just the availability of a book that determines what it's value "should be", it's also demand. Nowadays there are almost certainly more Baker collectors than there were back then, and if each one of them wants the same book, there's going to be a bigger fight over it.

Or have I just pointed out the bleedin' freakin' obvious? Well, there it is, anyway.

As for women... they always show up in my life when I'm happiest without them... as if they can sense my solitary contentment... so they show up to put a stop to it.

:roflmao:

Yeah...the obvious...I hate it...it happened to L.B. Cole books, and now to Baker...but it will slow down as more books surface and everyone who wants to overspend gets all the books they want...just like it happened to Cole books...then, a few people are going to take baths...

I just wanted to add... After you've been collecting for ten more years, you can come back and post some of your awesome collection here on the boards... and you can listen to what the new generation of Baker collectors are complaining about, then.