• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the typical issues that prevent a 9.8 from being 9.9?

8 posts in this topic

What are the particular issue that prevent a 9.8 from being a 9.9?

I'm thinking that it usually has to do with-

1)Staple alignment.

2)Minute fraying of color along the edge of the spine.

3)Missing micro dots of color at the top and bottom of spine.

Any other ideas about things to look for if your trying to figure out if a book might be better than 9.8?

The defects are so small that unles you have seen a few of each youwon't be able to tell. The Overstreet Grading guide is a fantastic tool for learning how to grade. There is an actual chart that states the size of each defect that is allowed in grade.

I believe that whatever the defect is, it cannot be larger than 1/16" to be a 9.9. 1/8" to be an 9.8 and so on...it's a great read.

ie. a spine miswrap of up to 1/16" on an otherwise 10.0 book would keep it in 9.9 range. if the defect is any larger than 1/16" it drops down to the next grade.

R.

lol, yeah I did mean aside from the dartboard with the tiny little 10 red bullseye, the minute green 9.9 circle around that, and the huge black and white 9.8 board...

seriously though thanks r1970d for your answer, since I'm really interested in this subject. I'll definately pick up the Overstreet guide. I grade a ton of high grade material and I'm sure it will be a big help...

lol, yeah I did mean aside from the dartboard with the tiny little 10 red bullseye, the minute green 9.9 circle around that, and the huge black and white 9.8 board...

seriously though thanks r1970d for your answer, since I'm really interested in this subject. I'll definately pick up the Overstreet guide. I grade a ton of high grade material and I'm sure it will be a big help...

Yup. Just don't pick up the latest edition. The general consesus is that they changed a lot of stuff...ie flaws are allowed in 10.0 now. I have a 2nd edition that I got off Ebay cheap.

Roy.

Yup. Just don't pick up the latest edition. The general consesus is that they changed a lot of stuff...ie flaws are allowed in 10.0 now. I have a 2nd edition that I got off Ebay cheap.

Roy.

Also, make sure it's the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide and not the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. (thumbs u

Andy

Roy.

Also, make sure it's the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide and not the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. (thumbs u

Andy

The O GRADING Guide is the Bible for the high grade collector

CAL who uses this a lot