• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: Some nice GA & 50s stuff. Dope Slaves, rare Baker, etc.

36 posts in this topic

Trying to raise a little spending money for Heroes con next weekend.

The details: Shipping will start at $6 for USPS priority box and we'll see about insurance based on the order. Paypal is preferred, but checks & MOs are fine. Full return privileges for 7 days after receipt. Post the "I'll take it" guy here or by PM. I'm happy to entertain offers.

Teenage Diary Secrets 7 & 9 - sold as a set. These are among the top 5 rarest Matt Baker books out there, and IMHO are the two rarest. To get them as a set is essentially a unique opportunity. I bought the 9 from Harley in 1997 and had to wait until 2006 to get a 7. Michelle Nolan - who knows 50s romance better than anyone - wrote an article in CBM years ago where she actually questioned the existence of either of the two. A few months later she heard from one person who had a 9, and still no 7s at that point. That's in the setting of her surveying all the romance & Baker collectors she knew, many of whom were comletionists.

Needless to say, these are exceptionally rare.

I'm going to offer these in sort of a unique way because I actually have two copies of #7, and I'll let you pick which one you want. One copy is a GVG with some spine splitting (top split down to the top staple, and another 1 inch at the bottom). The other copy is a GD, maybe GD+ with some abrasion-type wear (doesn't really appear to be a chew, but it is similar). However, the second copy has nicer colors & paper. If you want I can send both copies and let you choose for yourself.

The 9 is a real nice VG or VG+ with OWW paper.

I'm asking SOLD for the pair (for reference I paid over $450 for my 1st copy of #7)

60308-tads7-1a.jpg.3d6f1dae22e6b446b19c2b114c117c18.jpg

60309-tads7-2a.jpg.e73861af5dd0ccc0622115943bcbc8ce.jpg

60310-tads9a.jpg.af9b494d26fffb30ac767801a006de23.jpg

Next up is Teenage Dope Slaves or Harvey Comics Library #1. One of those few books that are perpetually in demand. Kind of a legendary book due to the title, and a really great read (as opposed to Reform School Girl which was very bland).

I had intended to keep this copy when I bought it, but it doesn't really fit in with what I collect, so I figured I'd let it go. The last two copies I saw on Ebay were a ratty GD that went for $290 and another that didn't list a grade but looked to be VGish that closed just shy of $400.

This copy is a very nice VG- with a spine roll and a 1 inch tear at the bottom of the spine (more on the bc, but I think you can see it in the scan) The remaining FC is really nice and clean with minimal wear.

Asking $320.

60311-tads1a.jpg.c35561dc6da2987439ab7f3deeed71d6.jpg

Startling 30 - Ine of the best Schomburg Nedor covers. This one is rarely offered for sale - presumptively due to the cover and how cheap it is in guide. This copy looks pretty decent but has some water staining. There's a chip out at the spine by the staple, but the cover is still hanging on (barely). Overall it's probably a GD or GD+ with good paper. Asking SOLD

60312-startling30a.jpg.3c30127aaa4b9a693a85103caeec53ad.jpg

More Fun 127 - About 10 years or so I asked Gary Carter if he really thought Danger Trail 3 was that rare. As part of that conversation he told me he thought MF 127 was one of the rarest DCs. Evidently More Fun was the "Baby" title of one of the old editors at DC, and he wouldn't let it die despite the fact that it always sold poorly. Toward the end of the run, they just printed the bare minimum (supposedly 10K), and as a result these became super hard to find. After that conversation I went out and bought a copy, and although I've seen a few since, I haven't seen another this nice. This is a VG+ with nice OW paper at least.

I really don't have a recent guide and have no idea what this guides for so I'm going to ask SOLD

60314-MF127a.jpg.d180238cb072d22d873551731636bb5e.jpg

More Fun 127 - About 10 years or so I asked Gary Carter if he really thought Danger Trail 3 was that rare. As part of that conversation he told me he thought MF 127 was one of the rarest DCs. Evidently More Fun was the "Baby" title of one of the old editors at DC, and he wouldn't let it die despite the fact that it always sold poorly. Toward the end of the run, they just printed the bare minimum (supposedly 10K), and as a result these became super hard to find. After that conversation I went out and bought a copy, and although I've seen a few since, I haven't seen another this nice. This is a VG+ with nice OW paper at least.

I really don't have a recent guide and have no idea what this guides for so I'm going to ask $75.

PM sent

Startling 30 - Ine of the best Schomburg Nedor covers. This one is rarely offered for sale - presumptively due to the cover and how cheap it is in guide. This copy looks pretty decent but has some water staining. There's a chip out at the spine by the staple, but the cover is still hanging on (barely). Overall it's probably a GD or GD+ with good paper. Asking SOLD

I really don't have a recent guide and have no idea what this guides for so I'm going to ask $75.

:takeit: Both Per PM :grin:

Daredevil 27 - GD - just one of those great Biro wacko covers. I have no idea what is going on here. Hot plastic? Midgets with boomerangs? Cat o nine tails?

Anyway, this has a chew on the back cover which brings the grade down - but also makes it cheap. Asking $SOLD

60315-dd27a.jpg.2f717624e06a740e86b9ad930d62542e.jpg

60316-dd27bca.jpg.93373f304973683851cd137b4adee0e4.jpg

3-D Tales of the West - a really rare Atlas book, I just lucked upon an upgrade so I'll let this one go. I bought it on Ebay a couple of months ago for $50 or so. It's a GVG, no glasses. There's an extra staple added. I'll ask $40.

60317-3Dtalesofwesta.jpg.bbcf1e9ad9ea381004dc25bc8f1c76bd.jpg

Rocket 1 - Somewhere around a GD- (1.8). The top of the spine is split and a little ragged and there's a lot of water damage. Note that I bought this on the boards as having some color touch, but it does NOT have any. It was where some of the cover ink bled with the water staining. At any rate, it's complete, readable, and great early GA. I think this is a Gerber 7 (maybe a 6?)

How about $100 - I think that's way below guide.

60318-rocket1a.jpg.7d8d65bf28208173a7ecdcd36b198030.jpg

I really don't have a recent guide and have no idea what this guides for so I'm going to ask SOLD

Killer book (worship)

Zoot 7 - I think this was the first Fox GGA book. Maybe one of the Blue Beetle's beat it, but I dont know for sure and I'm too lazy to look it up.

This one's low grade and the centerfold is missing. Asking SOLD

60319-zoot7a.jpg.fcf2ee01d559d6a8d1037ce8c113b4b0.jpg

Zoot 7 - I think this was the first Fox GGA book. Maybe one of the Blue Beetle's beat it, but I dont know for sure and I'm too lazy to look it up.

This one's low grade and the centerfold is missing. Asking $20

:takeit: