• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thread Closed

33 posts in this topic

It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.

:whistle:

Yes, noted - except that Kagemusha is offering a $65 discount here . . . hm What say you brethren?

Not to be a ball-buster, but that pointedly defies the "exclusive board-only offer" stipulation. Not an acceptable item for sale, sorry.

Yes, I agree (contrary to what others appear to have assumed.) :grin:

To all concerned parties:

The book was listed in an auction format on my wife's ebay account. It ended Sunday and did not sell. She took the liberty of relisting it in her store, as it only costs her 10 cents to list store items. I was home for lunch today and decided to list the book on the boards for less than I wanted to get because I needed money quickly. I thought it would possibly sell right away. If it did, I would offset getting less money for it because I would not be paying ebay fees.

I told my wife as I was leaving to refresh the screen I left and call me if anyone made a post to buy it. I also told her to cancel the listing in her store. She was preoccupied with my 2 1/2 and 4 year old boys, but more importantly, she probably didn't rush to end it with the hopes of telling me that she sold it for more than I posted it for on the boards. Also, I'm certain she didn't know the degree to which people will flip out if it is listed in both places. I called her from work to see if the book sold. She started reading the posts to me. When she read the one about the ebay listing, I gave her an earful and told her to end it right away, as I knew what was going to happen. She then cancelled the store listing.

To anyone that was offended by this, I apologize. I hope those deeply troubled will be able to forgive this evil accidental deed done, and get on with your lives. I hope you can forgive me.

The book was listed in an auction format on my wife's ebay account. It ended Sunday and did not sell. She took the liberty of relisting it in her store, as it only costs her 10 cents to list store items. I was home for lunch today and decided to list the book on the boards for less than I wanted to get because I needed money quickly. I thought it would possibly sell right away. If it did, I would offset getting less money for it because I would not be paying ebay fees.

I told my wife as I was leaving to refresh the screen I left and call me if anyone made a post to buy it. I also told her to cancel the listing in her store. She was preoccupied with my 2 1/2 and 4 year old boys, but more importantly, she probably didn't rush to end it with the hopes of telling me that she sold it for more than I posted it for on the boards. Also, I'm certain she didn't know the degree to which people will flip out if it is listed in both places. I called her from work to see if the book sold. She started reading the posts to me. When she read the one about the ebay listing, I gave her an earful and told her to end it right away, as I knew what was going to happen. She then cancelled the store listing.

To anyone that was offended by this, I apologize. I hope those deeply troubled will be able to forgive this evil accidental deed done, and get on with your lives. I hope you can forgive me.

Evil accidental deed? You are forgiven my son. :tonofbricks: Wait a sec, I don't have the authority to forgive. :think: Come to think of it, I don't think you sinned, brother! By the power vested in me by no one, I don't think there was even an offense committed. May your book sell and sell quickly. :smile:

Evil accidental deed? You are forgiven my son. :tonofbricks: Wait a sec, I don't have the authority to forgive. :think: Come to think of it, I don't think you sinned, brother! By the power vested in me by no one, I don't think there was even an offense committed. May your book sell and sell quickly. :smile:

How eloquently stated .... meh

Well, since this is as good a place as any, I'd like to say I'm disappointed that Forumites can't try and sell a book in two places when the Forum price is markedly different from a price offered to non-Forumites elsewhere.

Technically, a book offered on eBay for $100 is a different "offer" than the same book being offered here for $80. You can't buy it on eBay for that price, right?

Telling people they can't do this because it's not ONLY being sold here is cutting off the Forum's nose to spite its face. If Blazingbob or any other established "professional dealer" offered a Forum-only sale of books they had on their site, would that or would that not be a good thing?

All that being said, having the book for sale in two places isn't advised generally as it can lead to some potentially serious negative ramifications if it sells in both. Which is probably likely why it doesn't happen all that often.

Lastly, I would hope that an established member would be afforded slightly more respect with regard to sales judgement than a n00b. n00bs haven't proven themselves to be responsible citizens here, and the trust given to a well-established Forumite is a sincere and honest benefit to being a participant here

Sal, very well said. I agree 100% in living by the spirit of the law and not by the law itself sometimes.

:headbang:

I can certainly see how having the book for sale as a BIN in two different places could produce a sticky situation. Therefore necessitating the guideline of items listed here being board only items. However, I do think the situation here could have been handled with a little more grace.

Well, since this is as good a place as any, I'd like to say I'm disappointed that Forumites can't try and sell a book in two places when the Forum price is markedly different from a price offered to non-Forumites elsewhere.

Technically, a book offered on eBay for $100 is a different "offer" than the same book being offered here for $80. You can't buy it on eBay for that price, right?

Telling people they can't do this because it's not ONLY being sold here is cutting off the Forum's nose to spite its face. If Blazingbob or any other established "professional dealer" offered a Forum-only sale of books they had on their site, would that or would that not be a good thing?

All that being said, having the book for sale in two places isn't advised generally as it can lead to some potentially serious negative ramifications if it sells in both. Which is probably likely why it doesn't happen all that often.

Lastly, I would hope that an established member would be afforded slightly more respect with regard to sales judgement than a n00b. n00bs haven't proven themselves to be responsible citizens here, and the trust given to a well-established Forumite is a sincere and honest benefit to being a participant here

I would have to agree w/ you there Sal ! ....................BH............. (thumbs u

I like the "idea" of it, but have to go with Doc on this. Maybe try making a post in the Announcement Thread, but actually posting the offer in the eBay section of the forum? You still keep this forum open for traditional, board only sales but you encouage more sales on the forum as a whole? :shrug:

I don't think there is a classier guy on these boards than Mike. :sumo: Mike, thanks for your explanation, your grace, and you great offerings. :applause: