• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 180 prices?

88 posts in this topic

Now this could have been a really valuable piece IF the 1st panel 181 Splash art of was the original cut and pasted in the letters page instead of the photostat.

doh!

Sooooooo close to having the 2nd overall Wolverine panel art (first 181 Panel). I'm guessing they didn't take that route because they had to remove the voice balloons and that's far easier to accomplish with a flattened stat. Everywhere you see "white out" is where the balloons were obviously.

The only semi-interesting point is there is a small amount of "original art" in the panel since >someone< had to ink new art (however insignificant... motion lines and boulder repair) over the white out areas.

Who was it? Trimpe... or some lowly production artist making $3.00 an hour

hm

I agree with the LCS owner. 180 has always been WAY undervalued.

This isn't entirely true. In the early 80's this book was IT for Wolverine. The 1981-1982 OS has it at more than double the listed price of 181. Granted the price was $12.00, but the 181 guided at the same value as 182. $5.00 and change.

It's hard to make a Cameo apearience when you're an unknown charater. ... I'm sure there is some example comic where a second apearience person is held more valuable than an original apearience but I can't think of one outside of this one.

First off, there has been a specific "comic book cameo" definition in place for decades, and it does NOT preclude first appearances. I know the movie nerds like Arnoldt get all up in arms about any use of "cameo" that disagrees with their own narrow views, but that how things evolve. So please, let's drop this one.

As for other "cameo/brief first appearances" that are worth less than the "first full appearance", there are quite a few, and many are exactly the same as Wolverine, if not as important as the premiere character of the BA.

Avengers 185 has a last panel appearance of Taskmaster, but it's 186 with this first full appearance/first cover that gets the attention. Same with Mystique in all those Ms Marvel comics, along with many other lesser heroes and villains. Even Sabertooth and Cable technically appeared in the "Next Issue" part of the previous issues, and there are tons of preview ads that herald upcoming characters.

In cases like this, the cover plays a significant role, and one that has only grown since CGC. Truthfully, if you're a fan of the character, you'd have to be a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person to prefer a CGC copy of Hulk 180 over 181, or Avengers 185 over 186 or New Mutants 86 over 87.

Personaly I could give a mess less about the subject (thumbs u I'm simply stiring the pot or playing devil's advocate if you will. If the Comic Gods want to create their own language, fine with me, I own both books. Anyhow, hasn't OS already setttled this issue to reflect Hulk 180 as the first apearence?

I don't think anyone is saying they would prefer to have Hulk #180 to #181, just that it is probably way undervalued in comparison. And I don't think New Mutants &86 is very similar to Hulk #180. That is a tiny picture of Cable and this is a 1/3 splash of the character.

Your point is accurate about the other cameos though.

Yes sir,

That was really all I was trying to do was suggest that Hulk 180 could be undervalued. The whole Cameo issue has me confused and I wanted to stir the pot a little on the subject.

I agree with the LCS owner. 180 has always been WAY undervalued.

This isn't entirely true. In the early 80's this book was IT for Wolverine. The 1981-1982 OS has it at more than double the listed price of 181. Granted the price was $12.00, but the 181 guided at the same value as 182. $5.00 and change.

Which I think were errors in the guide's listings. I'd be interested in knowing whether the next edition reversed the pricing.