• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Congrats to Colmoreman for Completing the Marvel Bronze #1 Set!

40 posts in this topic

The Bronze Age ended with specific issues of a title. Those particular issues weren't all published a the same time.

For example, Fantastic Four 231 was the last BA issue and 232 was the First Copper issue. Uncanny X-Men ended the Bronze age with 143 and started the Copper with 144. With the Avengers, it is issue 181 that starts the Copper age.

Of course this is only an opinion and other people are more than welcome to be wrong. :foryou:

The Bronze Age ended with specific issues of a title. Those particular issues weren't all published a the same time.

For example, Fantastic Four 231 was the last BA issue and 232 was the First Copper issue. Uncanny X-Men ended the Bronze age with 143 and started the Copper with 144. With the Avengers, it is issue 181 that starts the Copper age.

Of course this is only an opinion and other people are more than welcome to be wrong. :foryou:

This theory has more holes in it than Carter's has little pills.

That's your opinion, which is really of no consequence to me.

Oh, and it's liver pills not little pills.

But, if you want to get technical, like you lawyers alway s do, it's Carter's Little Liver pills.

With the Avengers, it is issue 181 that starts the Copper age.

Why # 181 Doc?

Just my opinion. That is when the government gets involved, the line up changes and John Byrne art begins. I might be persuaded to carry it to 200 as the last bronze age issue. There is certainly room for argument on that one.

That's your opinion, which is really of no consequence to me.

Oh, and it's liver pills not little pills.

But, if you want to get technical, like you lawyers alway s do, it's Carter's Little Liver pills.

I found this on one of the Internets:

It was a Very heavily-advertised patent medicine, which lasted perhaps into the 1960s. Carter's Little Liver Pills became Carter's Little Pills when those fussbudgets in the government made the point that these pills had, oh, nothing whatsoever to do with the liver. The new name had less appeal, and the brand faded away.

I'll pretend to like your dorky theory if it will un-funk-atize you. Or I could have Hooks PM you a couple of dozen times. :foryou:

Thanks all.

I agree that the Bronze Age ran until the end of 1979 but what else would you call a set from 1970 to 1982?

As for Annuals, they are in a separate set of Marvel Annuals (again running until 1982!).

Why # 181 Doc?

Just my opinion. That is when the government gets involved, the line up changes and John Byrne art begins. I might be persuaded to carry it to 200 as the last bronze age issue. There is certainly room for argument on that one.

Personally I'd go for the # 200. The tone of the book seemed to change after that, to me. It still "felt" like the Bronze Age if you know what I mean, before # 200. 2c

Why # 181 Doc?

Government got involved in Avengers 21 :shrug:

Yes Doug.

That was the last elusive issue! However, I should also thank you for several other issues included in the set that I've bought from you over the years.

Now to start upgrading.....!

Why # 181 Doc?

Personally I'd go for the # 200. The tone of the book seemed to change after that, to me. It still "felt" like the Bronze Age if you know what I mean, before # 200. 2c

I agree, Garry. I was a little hasty with that one. I will concede that 200 is the last Bronze book on that one. The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver origin story was definitely Bronze age material.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Everyone know the end of the Bronze Age and the beginning of the Copper Age is a hard temporal occurrence. Even the books being printed on December 31, 1979 are not immune. Any copies (even of the same book) completely assembled before 11:59:59 are Bronze Age and any copies assembled after are that time are Copper Age. Just look at what the Bronze/Copper Age Hybrid Variant collectors pay for an 11:59:59.99.99.99.99 book. Stupid money!

End of discussion. :sumo:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Everyone know the end of the Bronze Age and the beginning of the Copper Age is a hard temporal occurrence. Even the books being printed on December 31, 1979 are not immune. Any copies (even of the same book) completely assembled before 11:59:59 are Bronze Age and any copies assembled after are that time are Copper Age. Just look at what the Bronze/Copper Age Hybrid Variant collectors pay for an 11:59:59.99.99.99.99 book. Stupid money!

End of discussion. :sumo:

Did you drop a barbell on your head?