• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATE Missing Spiderman Cover - MATTER RESOLVED !!!!

9 posts in this topic

I am posting this on behalf of inker Roland Paris.

The cover to Marvel Adventures Spiderman issue # 28 pencilled by Patrick Scherberger and inked by Roland Paris is unaccounted for. The comic was published almost 2 years ago but the cover went missing from Marvel and never returned.

The cover features a very iconic image of Spiderman being chased by the Geen Goblin. Notations show the issue was originally to be # 24 but was pushed back.

If recovered, the cover will be returned to Roland. If you have any information regarding this artwork, please let me know, (PM me), and I will contact Roland directly.

I have provide a link (see below) of the image posted in my CAF Gallery.

Thanks.

Cheers!

N

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=397196&GSub=62235

Nelson -

That is a beautiful cover, and it is an extremely thoughtful gesture by you to put this out there.

Now that you've done the equivalent of putting it on "America's Most Wanted" I hope your efforts will reach fruition.

I know that I will keep my eyes peeled!

Best regards my friend.

- Artemis

The Matter has been RESOLVED.

The cover was auctioned off with the proceeds going to charity. The current owner has free and clear title. There may have been a lack of communication between parties that caused the original confusion.

Thanks to everyone who helped resolve this matter - you all know who you are.

It's always nice to see how helpful everyone on these boards are.

Cheers!

N

How can this happen?

I've always thought the "stolen" tag was thrown around much too carelessly. It is a good thing it wasn't directly sold or given away to a collector without the documentation to prove it.

How can this happen?

I've always thought the "stolen" tag was thrown around much too carelessly. It is a good thing it wasn't directly sold or given away to a collector without the documentation to prove it.

Great point. I'm also curious about why this was considered stolen. Who was confused? The thread starter or maybe the artist?

This has got to be every collectors worst nightmare to have someone falsely accuse them of having stolen art in their collection.

Since I used the term Missing and Potentially Stolen in the original title of my post, I'll take any criticism.

The art was unaccounted for at the Marvel offices. The editorial staff and the penciller contacted the inker asking if he knew where the art was. He obviously did not know. Digital scans were available so obviously the cover was still published. That was some time ago. The art was obviously located but no one updated the inker. There was also some miscommunication about the allocation of art returns which added to the confusion.

I in good faith was trying to help locate the missing art for the inker (who would have retained the cover). Once everything was clarified, I updated my post here and CAF.

Was I hasty in using the term "potentially stolen"? Yes I was. In hindsight, I should have just said "Missing" and left it at that. I have no regrets about trying to help someone in good faith.

However, I'll accept responsibility for my post and send my apologies to anyone impacted by my original post.

Cheers!

N

Since I used the term Missing and Potentially Stolen in the original title of my post, I'll take any criticism.

The art was unaccounted for at the Marvel offices. The editorial staff and the penciller contacted the inker asking if he knew where the art was. He obviously did not know. Digital scans were available so obviously the cover was still published. That was some time ago. The art was obviously located but no one updated the inker. There was also some miscommunication about the allocation of art returns which added to the confusion.

I in good faith was trying to help locate the missing art for the inker (who would have retained the cover). Once everything was clarified, I updated my post here and CAF.

Was I hasty in using the term "potentially stolen"? Yes I was. In hindsight, I should have just said "Missing" and left it at that. I have no regrets about trying to help someone in good faith.

However, I'll accept responsibility for my post and send my apologies to anyone impacted by my original post.

Cheers!

N

The post I made isn't just directed at you. It seems every major dealer has a section for stolen art. I've often wondered how so many valuable and guarded pieces that are one of a kind and hard to flip could and would have been stolen in the first place. Now I'm sure some of these cases are legit esp when the story of the theft is posted (out of the truck of our car at comicon 88 etc) but I bet many are the results of an artists poor memory and a dealer who has a stake in it being found and resold.

So now what if the person who bought this Spiderman cover sold it to another collector with no knowledge of its charity history. What if no one who recalled the history stepped up. He may have bought it a year or two back and have no idea who the seller was at this point. Now it is stolen goods?

There just has to be a better selection process to label something as stolen than no one knows for sure what happened to it.