• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gee...... do you think everything on this site is pressed?

362 posts in this topic

Yeah, like pressing threads or the topic of pressing is just a laugh-riot here that people think that a post about all of someone's inventory being pressed is a shiiits and giggles comment

:yeahok:

Hey, I've got a great idea then...

Why don't they proactively disclose which ones have and which ones haven't?

I know it's a totally out-there thought, but it might just quell the dissent. (shrug)

I agree Nick that disclosure would not be a bad thing.

However, i doubt that act would stop the accusations and assumptions regarding Matt (and make no mistake this is who this is about) from being continued.

The next step would be to assume that he isnt disclosing everything and every book that he presses.

Not from me, it wouldn't.

If Matt disclosed, I would not begrudge him his line of work. I might not agree with it, but it would be his decision.

Hell, if they proactively disclosed, I could make informed decisions and maybe even buy from them. I've bought from Stephen Ritter in the past and he's a top bloke. However, as things stand, I'm not going to play the guessing game with their stock and so will have to avoid it. :(

Nick, what is so wrong with you asking if a book is pressed?

How about 'I shouldn't have to'?

Look, if it's colour-touch, it's disclosed. If it's a second print, it's disclosed. If it's signed on the first page, it's disclosed.

Why do I have to be the only one jumping through hoops, rather than clicking a button and simply buying? (shrug)

Nick, I agree that people shouldn't have to ask. It should be proactively disclosed. But until those people that are concerned begin proactively asking repeatedly, those who do not proactively disclose will not feel the need. That is how change usually begins.

I agree in principle, but in practice this is not a reality. :)

The market for comics is not analogous to the market for organic produce.

The pro-disclosure/ anti-disclosure debate in a nutshell!

I am just curious which nerd camp will back down first?

Nice deflection. doh!

Enjoy

:hi:

Nice condescension. (thumbs u

Have fun.

Ya see Vince, instead of replying to my post seriously , or talking about the subject matter in this thread you chose to zing a few one liners, why?

The floor is yours brother, I will be quiet. Say what you want to say till your heart is content about that which you say we are stomping on your collective necks.

You see, I thought it was you doing the zinging. Apparently it only works one way with you and that's a debate on your terms where you make it up as you go along and use cheap tricks and tactics and insulting language. Honestly Ze-man, not only are your tactics tritely condescending, but childish as well. You don't want to debate or even nobly give me the floor, you want to bully and insult and make it personal and distract and cry foul when someone zings it back at you. Nice try, though, but I'm not buying it. You want these debates to turn into personal back and forths, unfortunately, that's the way they usually end up.

Now the bottom line is that mechanical pressing, as done by a pro, with out disclosure, is, I believe, unethical. Taking a tactic from your playbook, I'll now say that this is all I have to say in this thread and I'm going outside to play. Go ahead and take whatever cheap shots you wish, brother. :hi:

Our pro-disclosure nerd forces are gathering in the valley next, m'lord. I'm rolling the 12 sided die shortly.*

* Disclosure: I have never played any RPG.

Our pro-disclosure nerd forces are gathering in the valley next, m'lord. I'm rolling the 12 sided die shortly.*

* Disclosure: I have never played any RPG.

:insane:lol

Nice deflection. doh!

Enjoy

Have fun.

Ya see Vince, instead of replying to my post seriously , or talking about the subject matter in this thread you chose to zing a few one liners, why?

The floor is yours brother, I will be quiet. Say what you want to say till your heart is content about that which you say we are stomping on your collective necks.

You see, I thought it was you doing the zinging. Apparently it only works one way with you and that's a debate on your terms where you make it up as you go along and use cheap tricks and tactics and insulting language. Honestly Ze-man, not only are your tactics tritely condescending, but childish as well. You don't want to debate or even nobly give me the floor, you want to bully and insult and make it personal and distract and cry foul when someone zings it back at you. Nice try, though, but I'm not buying it. You want these debates to turn into personal back and forths, unfortunately, that's the way they usually end up.

Now the bottom line is that mechanical pressing, as done by a pro, with out disclosure, is, I believe, unethical. Taking a tactic from your playbook, I'll now say that this is all I have to say in this thread and I'm going outside to play. Go ahead and take whatever cheap shots you wish, brother. :hi:

Well said. (thumbs u (Both points.) :sumo:

Incredibly naive question. Only a small % of books have defects that would be improved through pressing. If you want to argue that a lot of the books that Matt sells on eBay have been pressed, I can accept that, as he seeks out and buys books that have pressable defects. The books that Steve is selling are from his personal collection, put together over decades.

The "small %" being pumped into the CGC grading system has to be a profitable volume, doesn't it? Or the whole PCS/Nelson "professional pressing service" concept wouldn't have ignited an endless debate.

If CGC cares at all maybe they could do altered books just like their "signature series" label...

CGC makes Matt Nelson a "CGC authorized witness". Problem solved.

"Getting comic books signed by creators altered for a better grade has been a part of our hobby since early fandom. But signature altered authentication is a tricky venture."

"There have always been concerns surrounding signature "altered" authentication and verification. Now there is a solution!

Collectors can have their comic books and comic magazines signed altered by their our favorite creators marketing partner in the presence of an exclusive CGC authorized witness. These comics can then be authenticated, graded and certified by CGC under the prestigious CGC Signature Altered Series label."

Since yellow is taken maybe they could go with a Gold label. hm

Cha-ching.

Nice deflection. doh!

Enjoy

Have fun.

You are right Vince , I dont want to debate this that was not my intention in posting here. I made a reply to your original post saying how foolish I thought it for you to say people with opposing viewpoints to your own should not bother posting in threads like this. I also made mention that I could understand peoples frustration over having to ask for disclosure.

Where you got cheap tricks and childish behavior from I have no idea. But you are entitled to that opinion.

I will admit I am frustrated with your act of constantly being beaten down, it grows tiresome(to me anyways). My only beef with you is that if you really have something to say that needs to be heard, then just say it. But for the most part I see you talking more about not being able to talk about that which you most want to talk about!

So I will just steer clear of replying to you in the future Vince, even if I disagree with what you are saying or think it foolish.

Nice deflection. doh!

Enjoy

Have fun.

You are right Vince , I dont want to debate this that was not my intention in posting here. I made a reply to your original post saying how foolish I thought it for you to say people with opposing viewpoints to your own should not bother posting in threads like this. I also made mention that I could understand peoples frustration over having to ask for disclosure.

Where you got cheap tricks and childish behavior from I have no idea. But you are entitled to that opinion.

I will admit I am frustrated with your act of constantly being beaten down, it grows tiresome(to me anyways). My only beef with you is that if you really have something to say that needs to be heard, then just say it. But for the most part I see you talking more about not being able to talk about that which you most want to talk about!

So I will just steer clear of replying to you in the future Vince, even if I disagree with what you are saying or think it foolish.

Sounds good, bro. (thumbs u And I'll stick with my policy, already in place, of ignoring your post, however foolish and wrongheaded they may be.

Nice deflection. doh!

Enjoy

Have fun.

Well said. (thumbs u (Both points.) :sumo:

Thank you. (thumbs u

Stephen Ritter is as honest as they come. I can't believe someone would drag his name through the mud.

doh!

Even if he wanted to press 100,000 books...how much money and time would that take...AND THEN GRADE THEM?

You guys are ridiculous. This microcosm of a board that thinks the world revolves around it does not register in the rest of the world or hobby. Just ask the frigging guy and that is the end of it. Or buy from dealers who do disclose...there are tons.

This is my first and last post in this thread.

(thumbs u

Going for brunch and movie.

Later!

:foryou:

Then nearly all books would have to receive the "altered" label. If you read a book and damage it in the process, the book has been altered. (shrug)

You may be on to something. hm Maybe a witnessed "Enhanced" or "Refurbished" series label would be better. Whatever word makes the Pro crowd happy, but lets everyone else know the book's been tweaked, would be fine.

Stephen Ritter is as honest as they come. I can't believe someone would drag his name through the mud.

doh!

Even if he wanted to press 100,000 books...how much money and time would that take...AND THEN GRADE THEM?

You guys are ridiculous. This microcosm of a board that thinks the world revolves around it does not register in the rest of the world or hobby. Just ask the frigging guy and that is the end of it. Or buy from dealers who do disclose...there are tons.

This is my first and last post in this thread.

(thumbs u

Going for brunch and movie.

Later!

:foryou:

(worship)

Nice deflection. doh!

Enjoy

Have fun.

Kenny is as level headed and non-insulting as they come.

You might want to read again what he said and maybe both of you can try this over.

And cut out the insults, they arent becoming of you Vince.

I'm sorry, but he's been on my case for a while, not just this thread and frankly I'm tired of it so I'm answering back. As far as the insults...I guess you didn't read his posts, or am I the only one who can't swing back?

Incredibly naive question. Only a small % of books have defects that would be improved through pressing. If you want to argue that a lot of the books that Matt sells on eBay have been pressed, I can accept that, as he seeks out and buys books that have pressable defects. The books that Steve is selling are from his personal collection, put together over decades.

The "small %" being pumped into the CGC grading system has to be a profitable volume, doesn't it? Or the whole PCS/Nelson "professional pressing service" concept wouldn't have ignited an endless debate.

If CGC cares at all maybe they could do altered books just like their "signature series" label...

CGC makes Matt Nelson a "CGC authorized witness". Problem solved.

"Getting comic books signed by creators altered for a better grade has been a part of our hobby since early fandom. But signature altered authentication is a tricky venture."

"There have always been concerns surrounding signature "altered" authentication and verification. Now there is a solution!

Collectors can have their comic books and comic magazines signed altered by their our favorite creators marketing partner in the presence of an exclusive CGC authorized witness. These comics can then be authenticated, graded and certified by CGC under the prestigious CGC Signature Altered Series label."

Since yellow is taken maybe they could go with a Gold label. hm

Cha-ching.

You know what I dont understand? The fact that, over at the Corral, you (and others) have a complete site to discuss pressing, Matt Nelson, Hammer, Ewert, and any other thing that you view as bad to the hobby (the later two, being definite detriments of which is not even arguable) but yet you dont do it.

However, you come here and frame a point by saying "if CGC cared at all" and making it sound like a nefarious plot by CGC to "destroy" books by allowing pressing to go and not recive a purple label.