• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wertham was right I guess

20 posts in this topic

I guess not,...according to this he was just a suspect who was later cleared....my bad..... green river

Wertham still might've been right...the brother is convinced of William's guilt as an accomplice to Ridgway, but he died so long ago that any further evidence against him became moot given the likelihood of there being more than one person involved in the killings and the focus of the investigation on finding who was still alive that could be prosecuted.

Wertham still might've been right...

From my readings of Wertham, he basically twisted things to his own view. Why do all of the supposed quotes from the kids sound so much alike? And why do Wertham's preludes to such quotes sound so much alike?

IMO: Suppose the Green River killer was influenced by suggestive/explicit comic books. So what. Take it even further and say a few more unreported cases have been exposed to and influenced by these same comic books. What percentage would these cases be compared to the thousands of people who have read the very same books? In much the same context the music industry has had to endure since Elvis did the hip grind, have people suggested there are evil influences at work. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

IMO: Suppose the Green River killer was influenced by suggestive/explicit comic books. So what. Take it even further and say a few more unreported cases have been exposed to and influenced by these same comic books. What percentage would these cases be compared to the thousands of people who have read the very same books? In much the same context the music industry has had to endure since Elvis did the hip grind, have people suggested there are evil influences at work. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I betcha almost all criminals drank milk as children! Now that is worth investigating! smile.gif

I betcha almost all criminals drank milk as children! Now that is worth investigating! smile.gif

Oh my lord, and I love CHOCOLATE milk. Is that even worse than regular milk? Could I turn into a serial killer at any time? foreheadslap.gifcrazy.gif

Certain pre-code books continue to shock me to this day. The title that still concerns me is Crime SuspenStories...I haven't read a lot of those, but the one I did read seemed really indulgent in exploring the mindset and methodology of being a serial killer. Even as an adult I felt it pushing me somewhere I didn't want to go, similar to the way but less severe than those "Faces of Death" videos do. I watched a minute or so of one of those and didn't want to know what watching the rest of it might do to me.

We're all fascinated with death since it's inevitable, but to dwell on the specifics of how to go about killing other people or watching other people die isn't something that ever shoulda been on the racks for a young Dahmer to read. Dahmer might've become like he was with or without the help of written or visual media, but they still can be a stepping stone on the path to morbid behavior.

There was a line from that Nic Cage movie "8mm" that sums this idea and that entire film up perfectly..."You dance with the devil, the devil don't change...the devil changes you."

It is interesting to me how society dissects how a medium (comics, movies, music) influences individuals to act or behave in a certain manner that they might not have otherwise behaved had they not been exposed to said medium.

But as FF mentioned, what about those who create the medium? Like the Faces of Death videos. Are we concerned about the filmamkers, are they guilty of some felony? If the creators are "normal" law-abiding citizens who are uncorrupted from what they create, why would the conclusion be drawn that those who view the medium would become corrupted?

I need a drink....(too much thinking)

I haven't read a lot of those, but the one I did read seemed really indulgent in exploring the mindset and methodology of being a serial killer. Even as an adult I felt it pushing me somewhere I didn't want to go, similar to the way but less severe than those "Faces of Death" videos do. I watched a minute or so of one of those and didn't want to know what watching the rest of it might do to me.

I've watched those videos before and dey didn't seem ta affect me. And if any of ya's thinks I'm lyin', me and my boys will tie ya up and dump your sorry hide in da river. mad.gif

Oh my lord, and I love CHOCOLATE milk. Is that even worse than regular milk? Could I turn into a serial killer at any time? foreheadslap.gifcrazy.gif

I fear you are doomed. frown.gif

OMG!!!...I love breast milk (it's not a problem,...I can stop at any time),...what does that mean about me??

J.D.

OMG!!!...I love breast milk (it's not a problem,...I can stop at any time),...what does that mean about me??

J.D.

It depends...human,canine, bovine or lupine?