• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forget Garage Sales get to Goodwill

9 posts in this topic

Buyatari.

obviously the person working at Goodwill has a philosophy that he/she works there to help better people's lives and that this donation would best serve Goodwill, rahter than herself

I applaud her sense of social conscience

also, you may not realize that many Goodwill employees are volunteers and that means they could just as easily be off duty janitors as well as wives of corporate executives. I applaud all of their sense of social conscience

Buyatari.

obviously the person working at Goodwill has a philosophy that he/she works there to help better people's lives and that this donation would best serve Goodwill, rahter than herself

I applaud her sense of social conscience

also, you may not realize that many Goodwill employees are volunteers and that means they could just as easily be off duty janitors as well as wives of corporate executives. I applaud all of their sense of social conscience

As a videogame collector for the past 10-15 years I've been to many many goodwills and I never saw anyone who worked there that acted like they wanted to be there. However, I did see an old high school buddy who was there doing community service once. I dunno who was more embarrassed. Him for me seeing him working there or me shopping at a goodwill for old atari games!

lol

I guess there is a chance this person did this out of the goodness of their heart believing wholehearted in the Goodwill way of life but I'm guessing it is a doh! moment they wish they had back.

My father in law retired years ago and to keep himself busy as well as help out a charity he works there 30 hours a week and doesn't take a paycheck. So yes there are some people out there that like to help the community.

Goodwills don't sell every donation they get at garage sale prices. The ones I hit up occasionally will have the nicer stuff in an auction area, where I've seen everything from junk 90s baseball cards to beautiful leather furniture to flat screen TVs. They run silent auctions during the week, culminating with a live auction on saturdays. This painting was likely headed for one of those, but someone with some art history knowledge plucked it out for an obviously much better venue. Good for them.

Goodwills don't sell every donation they get at garage sale prices. The ones I hit up occasionally will have the nicer stuff in an auction area, where I've seen everything from junk 90s baseball cards to beautiful leather furniture to flat screen TVs. They run silent auctions during the week, culminating with a live auction on saturdays. This painting was likely headed for one of those, but someone with some art history knowledge plucked it out for an obviously much better venue. Good for them.

The link I read said it was set to be put in the stack for $20. Not sure if the whole stack was $20 or they were $20 each but it didn't sound like it was set for auction.

It didn't say if the worker who discovered it was someone donating their time to a non-profit organization to help those on limited income or someone of great need making minimum wage. I hope you guys are right and it was the former.