• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Turner Rememberance thread

40 posts in this topic

As many of you know Mr. Turner passed away last night. This is a truly sad event. We lost a truly amazing person who was a giant in the industry.

We should celebrate his life by posting pictures of Michael Turner Signed books and Original art.

Anybody with a personal story of mike should share it aswell.

I will Start.

I first met mike 4 years ago at Wizard World LA. It was right after his run on The Flash had came out. I had known who he was before that because of his art on Witchblade. But this was the first time I got to meet him. Everybody was hanging out at the aspen booth signing Jeph Loeb, Geoff Johns, Mike, John Livsay. The line was very short for a Michael Turner line. So I got in line to get some books signed. I had the full run of flash and some fathom books plus show programs. Mike did not set any limit. He took his time with the fans and talked to them. It was right then that I knew mike was a great guy. All the big creators wanted to hang out with him because he was the "fun guy".

But one of my fondest memories of mike came from Wizard World LA in 2006. It was the end of the show. Signings were done artist had stopped doing commissions everybody was packing up. I was walking out of the show as mike was walking in. We just both stoped to say hi to each other and ask how everything was going. That turned into a 30 minute conversation that we had when we were both supposed to be working on something related to the convention. Finally somebody had to break up the conversation so we could get back to what we were doing. The amazing thing was the conversation really didn't have anything to do with comics.

smiley19.gifsmiley19.gifsmiley19.gif

I had the pleasure of standing in some of Micheal Turner's lines. Always very friendly and would sign anything. I loved all his artwork from Fathom to Superman/Batman. Here are some items he was nice enough to sign for me.

turner004.jpg

turner003.jpg

turner002.jpg

0808594004O.jpg

and Thanks to Pirate for this one

0804388005O.JPG

As for memories, I've posted my memories of Michael Turner on my blog. Much like many others, Michael Turner has touched my life, even though I never knew him personally.

I'm about to go through my Turner signed books. I only have one CGC SS, which I purchased off you, Kris, and I Thank you for that. I'll get the scan up a bit later.

I don't own very many SS books, but I felt the need to share my thoughts on Mike.

I met him in 1996 at a small show in Dallas, Texas. I forget all the details about that show...the only thing I remember was meeting Mike. I was still getting comics at that point, but buying quite a bit. Image Comics was the rage, and my collecting tastes were artistically driven...so of course I was following Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, and Todd McFarlane. So Witchblade had just debuted it's first issue and this guy Michael Turner was there in support of it. I hadn't read the book yet, and I was extremely shy. So I didn't think I should talk to the guy who was drawing it when I had nothing to say about it.

That didn't matter to Mike. He saw that I was hanging around his table cuz I was in awe that someone was actually drawing stuff! He called me over to ask if I would like my copy signed. In a meek voice, I said sure! He then asked if I'd like a sketch. I had no paper for him, so we searched around for a backboard. Finding one, his hand moved rapidly, drawing lines that ultimately produced an image of a female face with hair. He signed it and thanked me for buying the book. I said thank you and ran off in glee, having gotten my first sketch ever.

MichaelTurner01%20(Large).jpg

I've had the pleasure to meet Mike on numerous occasions since, here in Toronto and at various others shows in the US. Always willing to sign a book, always willing to take a picture, always willing to go the extra mile for his fans. I purchased my first piece of original art from Mike. My first cover is from Mike.

Mike, I know you're in a better place. Thank you for touching my life and the lives of so many others. The world is a little lonelier without you.

These two hang in my office. This has to be the single most cover that got me back into collecting a couple of years ago. I treasure these and now they will be retired for posterity so my kids can enjoy them as much as I have.

DSC01638.jpg

147461588_o.jpg

This was my first cgc signature series book ever. I went to the Philly con to compete in the heroclix world championships. My best friend went for the comics. My friend chris told me about Michael Turner......and told me that I should get into comics. This book we got signed with the help of cgc. I also went and met him however and picked up some aspen variants from him. Anyways I owe it to Michael Turner that I even got into comics in the first place. I am kind of a newbie, but it was his art that grabbed my eye and kept me buying his covers.

God Bless Your soul, and may you rest in peace. The comic world will miss you greatly. :(

I'll start by admitting that I wasn't a fan of Michael's art style until his Flash #207 cover. And even after that cover, I was still on he fence until I met him (on several occasions) and each time, found him refreshingly genuine, sincere, and always friendly. It was an honor to have met him.

flash_207-ss.jpg

2006-04-21_Turner.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting Michael Turner on two ocassions, and true to form, he was a pleasure to meet each time. The first time I saw his art was on the covers to Identity Crisis, and after that I was immediately drawn to any cover that he did. He is also one of the reasons that my girlfriend got into comics, and I'm sure that's the case for alot of people as well.

I hope his friends and family find the strength to get through this tough time.

Wolverinecgcsignedsketch.jpg

jla12variantx2signed.jpg

IMGP0897.jpg

Michael Turner's passing is an unfortunate example of how bad things happen to good people. I have had quite a few books signed by Michael Turner, although I have only had the privilege of meeting him twice. The first was at Wizard World Texas 2005, and I was lucky enough to catch him at an unannounced signing on a Sunday afternoon, so the line was not too bad. He was quite pleasant and not at all stand offish like many creators I have met who have achieved "rock star" status, and took the time to chat with anyone who wanted to.

The second was Wizard World Texas 2006, and that time the line was overwhelming. His health had already taken a turn for the worse, and you could tell he was not feeling well at all. Despite this, he went way past his scheduled signing time, and signed for everyone in the line. He even took the time to caution me to be careful handling the books he had just signed in metallic ink so that the signature would not become smeared.

With as good a person as Michael Turner was and as many books as he has signed for me at no charge whatsoever, it would be callous of me to let his passing go without doing something in his honor. I have a couple of auctions on eBay for Signature Series books signed by Michael Turner, and I will be donating 100% of the proceeds to the American Cancer Society. I've included pictures of the items being auctioned and links to those auctions below. I will also be listing a Civil War #1 Aspen Variant SS CGC 9.8 signed by Michael Turner, Stan Lee, Mark Millar, Steve McNiven, Dexter Vines, Morry Hollowell and Peter Steigerwald (that's right, seven signatures and still a 9.8), and have included a picture of it below. Let's all show how much we cared for Michael Turner by bidding early and often on these auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150265258516&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150265259187&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

civil_war_var_ss96_set2.jpg

fathom_0_vip_set.jpg

civil_war_1_aspen_ss98_5001.jpg

Let's all show how much we cared for Michael Turner by bidding early and often on these auctions.

Very nice gesture (and books). I started off the bidding for you. You might want to mention somewhere in the auction title that all proceeds are going to charity, as you might get more bids that way. (thumbs u

I’ve been sitting here the past couple of days trying to remember the first time I met Michael Turner. It was definitely at a convention, at the Top Cow booth, and Mike was in his element. I guess the first thing I noticed was that “boyish grin” he always had, and then I noticed his love for his craft. (And, yes, I noticed his wonderful artistic ability as well.) I used to make sure that at every con I went to, I’d spend some time watching him draw and getting to know him and the Top Cow crew. I remember thinking how cool it was that we both came from Tennessee, and the little things like meeting his mom when he launched Fathom.

As the years went by, and my familiar face was recognized by Mike, Frank, Peter, and “the gang” as it were, I got to spend more time with everyone, I started reselling more and more of their books during the day and hanging out with them afterwards. It was always a treat to hang out with Mike, stop by the studio to say hi, and I can’t sum up the “why” in a few words. It’s more than his sense of fun and enthusiasm, more than his deep appreciation for being able to do something that he loved to do and having that freedom to create and excite people.

For me, it all came down to his energy, his spirit, his optimism. No matter what life threw at him, from the business side, making a living with comics and entertainment, all the entanglements, and, of course, his health issues, Mike pressed on with that grin and energy. It seemed like he could shrug off anything. He believed in the power of possibilities, and he believed it 24/7. He didn’t change into a nasty guy or diva when the fans weren’t looking, he was ALWAYS NICE. He made you feel better about yourself, and to be near him was exciting and fun. You could talk to him about anything, and he was happy and grateful for everything he had earned and gotten. For me, Mike defined “class act” and always made me feel included. I was so proud to watch his career and company take off, and was even amused when new fans would “discover” his talent. I guess, for me, it was obvious that he was special, what took everyone else so long to figure that out? 

While I can’t remember the first time I met him, I can’t forget the last time I saw Mike. It was the 2008 Wizard World LA convention, Saturday, with a growing line of fans waiting patiently to get some signatures and some face time, and I was wondering if Mike was going to be able to make it. My career diverged from comics so I didn’t see the gang as much or spend a lot of time with them. I was helping Chandler and Sharon over at Desertwind Comics get some signatures, and when I got in front of him, my heart just sank. He was in sheer agony from having to sit, but you could see him fight through it as he signed book after book. I meekly said hi, trying not to lose it in front of him.

He looked up at me, and for that briefest of moments, I saw it. That light, that spirit, still shining inside, coming out to the forefront. He lit up and said hi back, and at that moment, everything bad faded away and things were ok. Given everything that he had faced, his spirit was intact, that eternal optimism hadn’t been crushed. That is how I choose to remember Mike because that was his true self. That is his gift, his legacy.

His artistic talent will live on in the printed page forever. His spirit will live on in the people whose lives he touched and made richer. I felt privileged to be a part of his life, and I will celebrate the things he cherished, simply because… that’s what Mike would want.

I got one book signed that day, an Identity Crisis #1 RRP Sketch edition. I just got it back a few days ago, I'll try to scan it in and post it. I'm not sure I can sell that book now, but George has the right idea, I will look for something to post and donate the proceeds to American Cancer Society.

Joel