• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape vs. Color Touch

12 posts in this topic

How is it a book with tape on the spine can come back 5.5 Blue, yet a tiny color touch will get a restored grade? Curious as to the reasoning behind this... confused.gif

If it's scotch tape, they don't consider it restoration. Archival tape would be a different story. I know that doesn't make perfect sense, but I can see the reasoning.

Color touch is obviously restoration. I'm not sure what that has to do with tape.

I can't really read it, but does it read "ONE SMALL PIECE OF TAPE ON SPINE?"

actually scotch tape on newer books have earned PLOD's if my memory is correct. I may need to dig up some PLod's on Heritage's archives to prove this...

The small print on the back of the CGC label alludes to the point that CGC can make the judgement call on restored low grade Golden Age on whether to blue or purple label it based on extent of restoration factored against how low the grade is...now as for 5.5 restored getting a blue label confused-smiley-013.gif

Color touch is obviously restoration. I'm not sure what that has to do with tape.

I can't really read it, but does it read "ONE SMALL PIECE OF TAPE ON SPINE?"

Seems to me that mending a tear or reinforcing a spine with tape is no more or less "restoration" than a marker touch on a small spine crease. In both cases you are altering the book for the purposes of preserving or improving appearance.

Yes, the CGC label reads as you say. You can see the tape on the gray area of the spine above the green box. In the high res scan, you can see it is sealing up a hole or tear near the staple. foreheadslap.gif

actually scotch tape on newer books have earned PLOD's if my memory is correct. I may need to dig up some PLod's on Heritage's archives to prove this...

The small print on the back of the CGC label alludes to the point that CGC can make the judgement call on restored low grade Golden Age on whether to blue or purple label it based on extent of restoration factored against how low the grade is...now as for 5.5 restored getting a blue label confused-smiley-013.gif

To my mind, this isn't even like restoration, especially it's a tiny piece of tape. If it really is that small it'd be like a price sticker or something. Take the spine split into account on the grade, and be done with it.

Not that I ever think of scotch tape work as "restoration." I mean, to my mind, tape is a defect, like staining, and I downgrade for it accordingly. If I have a book with a spine held together by scotch tape, I'm not going to call the book a "restored" FN or VG factoring the ugly, destructive tape in as "restoration" analogous to professional repairs applied with some precision. It's not even analogous to Amateur color touch or something like that since scotch tape obviously makes the book look WORSE. I'm going to call it FR or GD and be done with it.

Yeah, the tape policy seems to be:

1) Archival tape improves the book, certainly improves the book's appearance, and therefore runs the risk of going undetected. So it gets the PLOD to call attention to the restoration.

2) Scotch tape is a defect, it gets factored into the grade, and is disclosed on the Blue label because it might be non-obvious (certainly so in the case of interior tape.)

Now we may think it is nuts to PLOD good archival tape and Blue-label Scotch tape, but I'm sure CGC feels it's not their responsibility if the market values a mid-grade Blue-labelled book more than a very fine PLOD. confused-smiley-013.gif

Likewise, I hate it that Overstreet has begun allowing Scotch tape on books up to and including Very Good, but that's the way it goes... sign-rantpost.gif

Now we may think it is nuts to PLOD good archival tape and Blue-label Scotch tape, but I'm sure CGC feels it's not their responsibility if the market values a mid-grade Blue-labelled book more than a very fine PLOD.

Yes, I think it is nuts! Tape is tape and the intent of tape is the intent of tape - to seal something. Now we can seal something with [!@#%^&^] tape that will ultimately destry the paper it resides on or we can use archival quality tape that will not.

What I want to know is why CGC sees fit to make a distinction between the types of tape. Simple announcing on the label "scotch tape" or "archival tape" and the tape's location should be sufficient. It is, to my mind, one of the greatest flaws in CGC's philosophy. That thinking has absolutely no basis in reality.

Likewise, I hate it that Overstreet has begun allowing Scotch tape on books up to and including Very Good, but that's the way it goes... sign-rantpost.gif

Actually, even the 1992 1st Edition Overstreet Grading guide allowed tape repair in VG books. If anything, the requirements have gotten more restrictive over the years:

1992 in the description page for VG:

"Minor tape repair on an otherwise better copy."

2002 in the description page for VG:

"Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies."

Now we may think it is nuts to PLOD good archival tape and Blue-label Scotch tape, but I'm sure CGC feels it's not their responsibility if the market values a mid-grade Blue-labelled book more than a very fine PLOD.

Yes, I think it is nuts! Tape is tape and the intent of tape is the intent of tape - to seal something. Now we can seal something with [!@#%^&^] tape that will ultimately destry the paper it resides on or we can use archival quality tape that will not.

What I want to know is why CGC sees fit to make a distinction between the types of tape. Simple announcing on the label "scotch tape" or "archival tape" and the tape's location should be sufficient. It is, to my mind, one of the greatest flaws in CGC's philosophy. That thinking has absolutely no basis in reality.

Hmmm...This is all sounding familiar... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=226205&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

thumbsup2.gif