• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarcest DC bronze?

91 posts in this topic

So what do you all think is the most difficult DC bronze age book to locate?

100 Page Super Spectacular #5 used to be the book, but I think I have seen too many of them to think that anymore. Same goes for Super DC Giant #17 and #21.

Laurel and Hardy #1 was once a hot book, but way too many high grade copies have surfaced to think of it as scarce.

Most likely there is a humor (Date with Debbie, Swing with Scooter, Jerry Lewis, Binky, etc.) or romance book that represents the hardest to find DC bronze book.

So what do you all think?

You probably are right about the obscure humor comics, i don't know enough about the humor book sadly.... there are a couple of great love comics i have been half asssed trying to find, but no luck. i do know HOM#190 in strict NM is just about impossible. I have looked for 15 YEARS and never seen one. Nothing special issue, not tough in low grade, but DAMN!

a few i keep an eye out for but never seem to find in high grade are:

bats #222,237

detective #402

WW #179

superman #199 (may not be a "bronze age book" but still a b*[!@#%^&^] to locate)

Some of the romance/ humor stuff is the hardest to find. War stuff is really tough also. Here are some books that are REALLY REALLY hard to get (above VF+)

DC Horror high in high grade (HOS 81, HOM 179)

DC 100 pagers, (try getting issues 4-6)

Batman (222)

Detective (399,400, 402)

Challengers of the Unknown (72)

Star Spangled War Stories (151, 154)

Super DC Giant #17 and #21

Tomahawk (Any Adams covers)

If I had to pick the toughest above VF+ I'd pick Tomahawk, and the SSWS books.

Most in popular, Adams bats.

I guess I was going for the "if condition wasn't a factor" type of approach.

If you were looking for a book in any condition, what would be some of the hardest bronze DC to find?

Its kind of difficult to say. Some of the rarest books don't have that high of a demand.

Humor, romance etc.

Whenever you start shelling out the big bucks, books that seemed really rare have a way of coming out of the woodwork. Even with the big bucks put out, I still think that the DC Superspec 5 is tough in overall rarity. My best suggestion is looking for books where big money is being offered, but the books still aren't turning up in large numbers.

(Whitmans like Little Lulu come to mind)

I agree that S-17 and S-21 are among the toughest bronze age DCs. However, I also think that S-18 Three Mouseketeers is a very tough book to find. Why?

1. It was from a short run series-6 or 7 issues at most so it probably did not have time for an established following.

2. It was a funny animal comic at a time when that genre was no longer popular.

3. Since it was a funny animal comic it probably appealed to a younger crowd and thus more prone to be destroyed or thrown out by Mom or Dad.

4. The price increase probably kept Mom and Dad from buing it in the first place.

Regardless of the reasons I have personally only seen one copy of this comic in my 30 years of collecting (granted I'm in South Florida where finding any comic older thatn 15 years is a task).

Whenever you start shelling out the big bucks, books that seemed really rare have a way of coming out of the woodwork.

Thats totally true! The Super Spec 5, and Laurel and Hardy 1 are examples of that. How many Date with Debbie 18's have you seen?

a few i keep an eye out for but never seem to find in high grade are:

bats #222,237

I agree with you especially on the Batman 222. I do see more than I did awhile ago on ebay but most are mid grade copies. I checked a lot of the major sites and no one seems to have any raw copies in any kind of grade. There is only 4 of them that are graded right now. Rip did you get the 9.4 or at least locate it? I don't know if a lot of people just won't let the book go or if the there are a ton in Beatle collectors collections? Similar to this guy http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32727&item=2200869355

I have a feeling if a lot of Beatles collectors had this book high grade at one time it may no longer be high grade. Putting a book in plastic with a backing board will not ensure the books safety. Anyone else think that the value in the guide for this book should go up. Even the VG and Fine copies on ebay tend to go for a little over the VF guide value 9 out of 10 times. I think the highest raw copy I ever saw for sale on there was a VF and it sold for over $40. Hopefully I will be getting one of the CGC 9.0's soon. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

237 doesn't seem to be as hard to locate even in high grade. It does sell for a nice sum though. I just picked up a 9.2 about a week or so ago.

222 is a REAL toughy, I may have a 8.5 for sale soon.

I'd love to own that Bats 237 in 9.6.

But I can't image what they'd want for it.

I'm happy with Bronze books in the 9.0-9.2 range. I used to like 8.5's but I don't have many left so I'd rather stay uniform. I can't afford the really big numbers and I'd rather go for an upper mid grade GA book for that kind of money. I was really looking to get a Batman 237 in 9.0 but the 9.2 was there and I didn't have a problems paying $150 for it. I think Metropolis might have sold the Oakland copy 9.2 for $210 recently. I know the person that sold me it upgraded to a 9.4 for $338. Haven't seen any 9.6 for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33808&item=2201888501

Batman 232 CGC 9.2 CREAM to Off-white pages 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

Anyone know approximately how much a Batman 232 CGC 9.0 and or 9.2 goes for?

And how much a Tec 400 CGC 9.0 to 9.2 goes for. I saw discussion this is a some what tough book to locate.

If anyone ever has any of these 2 books they are looking to unload PM if I have cash at the time I may be interested.

Also Batman 181 CGC 9.0 and Batman 121 CGC 6.0 or higher.

I never thought Laurel and Hardy 1 was tough. But I don't know about Date with Debbie 18.

Got a scan of the cover, its not ringing any bells. confused-smiley-013.gif

Laurel and Hardy is common because it was in a DC multipack that a seller on eBay a few years ago started selling multiples of them. He must have gotten at least a case of them. Date with Debb 18 is the last issue. Here's a scan of the Date with Debbi!

With respect to the scarcest DCs, it has to be the romance titles. Forget the in VF or better qualifier for some of these really common books mentioned. Humour is also tough but much easier to find in high grade. However, try finding a Super DC Giant S-13 with Binky in decent shape. 893frustrated.gif

305952-DatewDebbi18.JPG

305952-DatewDebbi18.JPG.a0a4c4a74504ed305b1cf4277a5b774e.JPG

I bought a really nice 232 CGC VF/NM recently from heritage for about $135.

foreheadslap.gif I haven't even checked there lately. Because if I do I will type in some GA books and then they'll be on there and I won't be able to afford them. I guess I should check there from now on for a few of the bronze books I want.