• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Larry Ivie.... Unsung genius or egotistical fibber?

14 posts in this topic

Last week,I had never heard of this guy. Now I read that he created the Thunder Agents,ghosted for most of Woods Daredevils and was approached by Stan Lee to be co-editor of Marvel,was the man behind the scenes in creating the Justice League,was the driving force behind the Batman tv show and discovered Bruce Lee.

In his spare time,he convinced Jim Warren to start a line of monster mags and made Yogi Berra a household name.

Thoughts?

A quick Google - because I never heard of him either - turned up Wally Wood apparently calling him a liar for making claims about THUNDER Agents.

Excerpt from THUNDER Agents book

But Comic Book database does show some writing credits.

Database

well done!!

Sounds like one of your friends who watches as you move the couch but takes some credit by just being there... :insane:

Jim

very irritating

CAL :pullhair:

to CAP FREAK:

what is that in your avatar???

Curious CAL

It's a screen cap from a Simpsons episode. From L to R: Marvin the Martian, Gort, Chewbacca, Alf, and Kang or Kodos, can't tell which one.

Yep. What he said.

Is this person different from Larry Ivey of Florida. Google him and you will find he has a LONG history in comic fandom setting up arguably the 2nd comic book shop in USA circa 1967, and the 1st original comic book art convention. (thumbs u

I don't know if thats the same guy. The Larry Ivie,or Ivey( spelling seems interchangable) was living in NYC in the 60s.Evidently,he was roomates with both Roy Thomas and Bernie Wrightson at various times.He is credited as the writer for several Thunder Agents stories,but he claims he created them whole. His original group was called SILVER Agents and featured a character named Thunderbolt.

He evidently had some connection to Wally Woods art studio,but what free lancing artist didn't?

I was a monster magazine collector back in the day, and he was pretty highly thought of, being the driving force behind "Castle Of Frankenstein" and "Monsters And Heroes" magazines.  The former was a very intelligent monster magazine, and the latter was an equally intelligent magazine devoted half to horror movies (monsters), and half to movie serials (heroes).  Seems he did most of the earlier cover and interior art also.  Very talented work.                                                                                                                                                 Never heard the comic book stories, though.  Being a very active NYC fan, maybe he threw some stuff at the pros back then and imagined they used his ideas more than they actually did ???