• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hellboy Fans - -Check this Out!!!

6 posts in this topic

Donut that is awesome, that issue is hard to find. However, my understanding is that because this was a "promo" special and not sent out for popular distribution that CGC won't qualify the CON issue as the "first appearance of Hellboy." Has CGC graded one of these, and if so, what notes did they put if any on the label?

The NEXT MEN #21 has CGC notes noting: "First Appearance of Hellboy". Would they put the same notation on the CON issue?

coastline

Know your comics first. All ancillery sources such as a CGC label or a reference in a guide should always be secondary sources of info.

I've had several underground books which do not denote a first appearance; for example, Funny Animals #1 as the first appearance of Maus. In fairness to CGC, there was no real documented mention of the first appearance of Maus when my copy got graded. The author of that website didn't know either, and it wasn't until I obliged to offer that info to him, that he made reference in the footnotes.

In situations where no documented mention is made, even CGC find themselves asking experts in certain areas of the comic industry for their advice. Indpendents/alternative, promotional, giveaway and undergrounds comics fall into the dilemma of "loose" categorization by the virtue of low production and distrubtion, coupled with the fact that they don't enjoy as wide or large a following/readership as the mainstream.