• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Appearance(s) Sets?

24 posts in this topic

I recently had a chance to review the registry in detail for the first time in a long time after I saw the post in general where Mark (colemoreman) had completed his Bronze Marvel First sets. BTW Congrats Mark!

I was curious to see how my set stacked up against the top 2 sets (Mark & Sully) and noticed that there are not any "First Appearances" Sets for (Marvel/DC, etc.) Golden, Silver and Bronze age... and possibly even some combined sets? I would assume the above sets would have just as much if not more appeal than the "First (issue) Sets" in the same way that the "first appearances of characters" are far more coveted than the "first Issues of a characters own title" or other "title firsts"

(shrug)(shrug)(shrug) (shrug) (shrug) (shrug) (shrug)

Thoughts?

On that note...

• Which era would we find the most 1st appearances?

On another note...

• Can you use the Registry only as a tool... re: enter/organize your sets without the sets being visible to the public?.. or counting in the rankings, etc.

• How do (you) registry members react to email contacts through the system regarding "Potential Purchase Opportunities" to improve their sets?... assuming this happens. I would like to start marketing my duplicates and/or undercopies in this fashion if it's not frowned upon or considered a nuisance.

• How appealing would it be IF your Registry Sets could be imported into a GPA account (possibly a new tier/subscription level) and could also be manged there in a different way... such as instant/automatic/ongoing valuation (ranking) and would update automatically (or with an update button) when you changed your registry set here, etc. BTW... it's just an "idea" I just had. It could also be a great way to provide your comic insurance company with unarguable "minimum values" for your collection.

I recently had a chance to review the registry in detail for the first time in a long time after I saw the post in general where Mark (colemoreman) had completed his Bronze Marvel First sets. BTW Congrats Mark!

I was curious to see how my set stacked up against the top 2 sets (Mark & Sully) and noticed that there there are not any "First Appearances" Sets for Golden, Silver and Bronze age... and even a combined set? I would assume the above sets would have just as much if not more appeal than the "First Sets" in the same way that the "first appearances of characters" are far more coveted than the "first Issues of a characters own title" or other "title firsts"

(shrug)(shrug)(shrug) (shrug) (shrug) (shrug) (shrug)

Thoughts?

On that note...

• Which era would we find the most 1st appearances?

On another note...

• Can you use the Registry only as a tool... re: enter/organize your sets without the sets being visible to the public?.. or counting in the rankings, etc.

• How do (you) registry members react to email contacts through the system regarding "Potential Purchase Opportunities" to improve their sets?... assuming this happens. I would like to start marketing my duplicates and/or undercopies in this fashion if it's not frowned upon or considered a nuisance.

• How appealing would it be IF your Registry Sets could be imported into a GPA account (possibly a new tier/subscription level) and could also be manged there in a different way... such as instant/automatic/ongoing valuation (ranking) and would update automatically (or with an update button) when you changed your registry set here, etc. BTW... it's just an "idea" I just had. It could also be a great way to provide your comic insurance company with unarguable "minimum values" for your collection.

I think a 1st appearances set would be awesome. It would be a challenge to put together, but if we split up the work we could probably knock it out relatively quickly. My impression is that Marvel would be much more popular than DC and would be a good place to start. My preference would be to start with Bronze. :grin:

We also could wait for the Custom Sets that have been discussed ad nauseum here and create our own individual 1st app's set. Not nealy as fun, but still effective as a management tool.

On to your questions:

(1) Yes. You can obscure your sets so no one can see what you have.

(2) I personally love getting contacted regarding Registry info and potential purchases and sales. I think I am in the minority. I have sent a couple of feelers out and not gotten any positive responses. Darth contacted me about some top census variants and, of course, pried them out of my collection. I even have my duplicates in separate set called "Trade bait" so anyone can contact me about any trades.

(3) I would love to be able to do the GPA/Registry assimilation thing!! Get George on the horn with valiantman or some other talented person and make it happen!

Best regards,

--Sean.

We could do the Bronze Marvel 1st Appearances pretty easy... I have/had them all and could assemble a list IF it was going to be used.

BTW... did you indicate we could create our own custom sets for at least our own use if not for others?

But what about the controversials. Hulk 180, 181, Spiderman black costume, Venom, Archie, Mystique, Gambit, etc.

Plus the not-so-first appearances like Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Daffy Duck, Tracy and other Platinum characters.

And how far down in importance do you take the character list. Is Hawkeye a key character? How about Quasar? What about villains too?

Seems complicated.

What if you broke the 1st appearances out in Titles. I've been focusing on Copper X-men first appearances.

Or you could even have sets pertaining to teams. For examples, I've working on first appearances of the New Warriors. So I've been looking for each member's first appearance.

Just some thoughts since I only collect 1st appearances myself.

We could do the Bronze Marvel 1st Appearances pretty easy... I have/had them all and could assemble a list IF it was going to be used.

BTW... did you indicate we could create our own custom sets for at least our own use if not for others?

I will definitely put together a 1st app set if there is one. So will most of the big guns, I would imagine.

Custom Sets is something that CGC has been saying is in the works to allow people to put their own sets together. Normally people think of Neal Adams covers or Wrightson interior art or Matt Baker GGA covers or whatever. It is for sets that are not runs and may cross publishers, genres and ages. I don't know a lot about it or how it works or who puts the sets together.

But what about the controversials. Hulk 180, 181, Spiderman black costume, Venom, Archie, Mystique, Gambit, etc.

Plus the not-so-first appearances like Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Daffy Duck, Tracy and other Platinum characters.

And how far down in importance do you take the character list. Is Hawkeye a key character? How about Quasar? What about villains too?

Seems complicated.

It is a thankless job. I submitted the DC Bronze #1 set with a huge help from Mark Arrand who had done a bunch of the leg work. There are a lot of grumblers in the set who don't like what was in and what was left out. At the end of the day, for the 1st app. set, some characters make the cut and some don't. Tough titty for me if I think 1st Wundarr should be in there and it isn't.

What if you broke the 1st appearances out in Titles. I've been focusing on Copper X-men first appearances.

Or you could even have sets pertaining to teams. For examples, I've working on first appearances of the New Warriors. So I've been looking for each member's first appearance.

That Subby 50 for the 1st namorita is tough in high grade. :baiting:

My only problem with your idea is that there would be a lot of "mini-sets" as opposed to 1 big set. I like working the big sets.

I've been the one setting up those SA apperances sets.

The first being Silver Surfer. Expanding on his 18 issue run (that goes into the BA doh! )

And it has proven a huge hit with a lot of collectors, so much so I've slipped right down the ranks of that set meh:roflmao:

I have set up another, SA Nick Fury, another character scattered amongst the various titles quite well.

And SA Hulk, who manages a total of 13 different titles through the SA. Hence why starting a SA apperances set fot the Hulk makes so much sense.

Plus these sets have broard appeal. It's a whole character. I would like to see some cohesion, or formula applied to 'custom sets', as opposed to what some guy has in his particular long box.

2c

My only problem with your idea is that there would be a lot of "mini-sets" as opposed to 1 big set. I like working the big sets.

Ditto :golfclap:

Don't turn the registry into some dolts rambling take on collecting.

I have a raw copy of Sub 50, but I think it's a 9.4 ow pages. Not really sure from Ted at Superworld Comics.

I see your point with the smaller sets though. Maybe break them out into A List, B list and C list characters according to age?

I have a raw copy of Sub 50, but I think it's a 9.4 ow pages. Not really sure from Ted at Superworld Comics.

I see your point with the smaller sets though. Maybe break them out into A List, B list and C list characters according to age?

I would think more like putting together the best list possible combining comprehensiveness and relevance of the character. Possibly we could have a vote, but frankly, many of the people who would get involved would never be putting together a set. It is more reasonable to have the drafters put it together after reviewing the list via PMs

Seems complicated.

:flamed:Great Points dude... hm (thumbs u

Lets see.. in the instances regarding both the "Limited First Appearance(s)" (previously cameos) and the recognized "First Full Appearance" I guess I would consider both/all "First Appearance Related Keys" and Include them both/all in the set. Like your examples of Hulk 180 & 181 and Ms. Marvel 16, 17 & 18. The set should mirror how collector's perceive and covet the issue(s).

As for Venom, this is where your point is really made. It's complicated. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I guess it's either include them all (ex: Secret Wars 8 & ASM 300) using Overstreet and CGC's recognition of the issue OR, in some cases, we could develop a Registry Voting System to solve whether certain "difficult to categorize" issues are excluded or included in the set. Voting could be kind of like Rotten Tomatoes. If a issue reaches a certain percentage of votes from Registry Members working on these sets, they could be included when/if they ever reach that mark.

It sounds like a lot of work, but First Appearances are such a driving force for collectors. I can't imagine a complete registry without them. I don't see why these sets can't be initiated and considered a "Work in Progress" as Collectors/Registry members sort it out as time goes by. This is supposed to be fun.

As for Cartoon comics... skip 'em and stay with Marvel/DC Super Heroes/Villains.

PS.. I would also include both GA and SA 1st Appearances for characters like Captain America.

Although do you include Strange Tales 114 and Sgt. Fury 13? I guess these are the type of books that need a "Voting System" and illustrate your point too.

:frustrated:

...Regardless, the Registry is not complete without them IMHO

What your saying is edging towards what I've already established.

A lot of 'first apperances' relate to a specific character, thus a collection of their apperances would be the answer... e.g exactly what I've started.

Though, if someone just wants 'all' first appearances, split into the four ages, one set apiece, and be doen with it.

Not an endless list of one off sets, with one to two collectors participating in each doh!

A lot of 'first apperances' relate to a specific character, thus a collection of their apperances would be the answer... e.g exactly what I've started.

Not an endless list of one off sets, with one to two collectors participating in each doh!

i think he's got something here..

I.E. Rodey's New Warriors 1st apps. Or like I'm trying to get all Cap-related 1st apps (all first "major" and some "minor" apps in his title). The toughest thing is where's the cut-off point for minor characters?

Do we just go by Overstreet-listed 1st apps? But they leave out guys at times that are, I feel, important.

What your saying is edging towards what I've already established.

Though, if someone just wants 'all' first appearances, split into the four ages, one set apiece, and be doen with it.

Hey Brasseye, I'm not not sure exactly what you established, but if its not assembling a First Appearance(s) set for all "significant enough" characters in one set then it doesn't meet the need and concept I'm envisioning.

It would definitely be a chore to accomplish and would not be without disagreement and debate necessary to "fine tune" it to majority acceptance, but...

I guess, I'll work on a Bronze Marvel set the way I envision it and then "bounce" it out here for a first draft review and fine tuning v1.

Do we just go by Overstreet-listed 1st apps? But they leave out guys at times that are, I feel, important.

This is another good point and in the process of assembling these lists, we may in fact be helping Overstreet identify and call out "missing" characters whose 1st Appearance(s) at least merit identification/inclusion in the OS guide.

Even if/when some of these characters are "called out" in the next OS guide, they may not merit inclusion in their corresponding Registry Set... at that time. That said, Having OS properly identify and "call out" these characters will undoubtedly cause some "collector reaction" and if the issues pick up any noticeable steam due to new/proper identification, they may make it onto the registry sets at a later date.

A good example in my mind regarding the above is a handful of the villains in the title Nova. Many did not appear outside of the title (and were also Spidey Villain "Knock Offs"). Powerhouse, Diamondhead (Hammerhead rip?), Condor (Vulture Rip?) are not mentioned in OS (I assume this past year's too?, but I did not buy the guide yet).

The above-mentioned characters would likely not make it onto the Bronze Marvel list if put to a vote, based solely upon issue demand at this point, but at least they could be considered. Also, who knows how a few years of being properly identified in OS may influence collectors and thus the future desirability of these issues.

Thanks for the input

As for Cartoon comics... skip 'em and stay with Marvel/DC Super Heroes/Villains.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.:frustrated:

Sacrilege - this is what I collect. I'm assuming you want cartoon books to have their own sub set....right?

I get what you're saying though and for the most part you could just go by market price/demand to define the set rather than a convoluted voting system. After all, what better voting system is there than actual sales to define what's important. So while the first appearance of Gazoo might be important to me, it doesn't have enough oomph to make a 1st appearance list. (Quick quiz, what was Gazoo's first appearance?)

Still, even for bronze age/copper age don't you need first appearance of Scooby Doo, GI Joe, Star comics line #1's, 1977 Marvel Hanna Barbara #1's, Hong Kong Fooey, HR Puff n Snuff, Brady Bunch, Welcome Back Kotter, and on and on.

And what about magazines. Vampirella 1, Man Things 1st appearance (forget the issue), and a few others.

th_scan0029.jpgth_wdcs140.jpgth_bb51.jpgth_fun64.jpgth_LittleDot6.jpgth_dot1.jpg

th_scan0002.jpgth_porky48.jpgth_tt38.jpgth_scan0015.jpgth_scan.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.:frustrated:

Sacrilege - this is what I collect. I'm assuming you want cartoon books to have their own sub set....right?

I get what you're saying though and for the most part you could just go by market price/demand to define the set rather than a convoluted voting system. After all, what better voting system is there than actual sales to define what's important. So while the first appearance of Gazoo might be important to me, it doesn't have enough oomph to make a 1st appearance list. (Quick quiz, what was Gazoo's first appearance?)

Still, even for bronze age/copper age don't you need first appearance of Scooby Doo, GI Joe, Star comics line #1's, 1977 Marvel Hanna Barbara #1's, Hong Kong Fooey, HR Puff n Snuff, Brady Bunch, Welcome Back Kotter, and on and on.

And what about magazines. Vampirella 1, Man Things 1st appearance (forget the issue), and a few others.

th_scan0029.jpgth_wdcs140.jpgth_bb51.jpgth_fun64.jpgth_LittleDot6.jpgth_dot1.jpg

th_scan0002.jpgth_porky48.jpgth_tt38.jpgth_scan0015.jpgth_scan.jpg

:o:foryou:

Sorry ft88... don't mean to seem dismissive of your collecting focus.

A subset sounds about right, but it may prove to be just as complicated.

Elaborating... my view is with cartoon characters, (most, I'm guessing) "already" existed prior to their comic book debut in animation obviously. Disney characters for example. So their introductions are on film. Given that, I don't see their initial appearances in comics as true "First Appearances" in the context we are familiar with. I guess a "Cartoon: First Comic-Book Appearance Set" would be necessary.

On that note, some cartoon characters did not debut in film/cartoons and did in comics, (I'm guessing here... Richie Rich, Archie and Harvey characters like Casper, Hot Stuff???) so that would mean you'd need (2) separate sets...

"Cartoon: First Comic-Book Appearance Set"

"Cartoon: First Appearance Set"

OR combine them into a Ultimate Cartoon Character First Appearance Set.

Looks like you have some work to do too.

:busy:

ALSO... :applause:Great point on Man-Thing, similar to the cartoon scenario above, his "true" First App is in a magazine. Similar to a Comic, but not. So, in my set I would include both the Magazine and Comic First Appearance. Especially since CGC certifies both.

hm I just thought of this. Howard the Duck and Marvel's Cartoon/Comic Rip-Offs like "Harvy" "Homer the Happy Ghost" and others would have to be in both Cartoon and Superhero sets... or maybe not? doh!:frustrated: