• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could Heath Ledger really win an Oscar?

33 posts in this topic

I think Peter Finch won after his death, but that was a heart attack (and an insane performance), so the specter of a drug overdose will likely keep the Academy away from "honoring" Ledger posthumously.

By time voting comes around the sentiment will have been forgotten

While I hope that's not the case, this was my initial reaction as well. What might help the cause is the DVD release coinciding with voting, but who's to say if that will happen. (shrug)

By time voting comes around the sentiment will have been forgotten

If he absolutely blows away the competition, sure, but don't expect any sympathy votes for OD'ing.

OD'ing in Holloywood's eyes is not as bad a way to die as it is to the rest of the world. He was misunderstood, the weight of is star was overwhelming him and he had no privacy.

OD'ing in Holloywood's eyes is not as bad a way to die as it is to the rest of the world.

It's exactly the opposite - Hollywood loves a lively drug addict, but it's the ones that go too far and let it kill them whose tinseltown images suffer. It's like being in a group of hard drinking alcoholics - the guy who can't hold his liquor is frowned upon.

Look at Don Simpson - he was the big thing while he was alive, major player, hard partying, drug addict, then BAM, he dies and over the years, his private life has been laid bare, and he's become the butt of many drug jokes. Same with River Phoenix - it took a while, but his past behavior was dissected and is continually brought up whenever a star is "out of control".

Robert Downey Jr.

He was DOA for years, as far as HW was concerned, but he never died.

So he earned the right to come back.

Just wait. If Ledger's performance is worth a damn, he will at least get a Golden Globe. His death is seen as tragic. Hollywood eats that sh*t up.

Oh the Globes is totally different - that's just a group of foreign press guys with no real history or HW credentials. Take a few guys to dinner, toss out some free drinks at a party, and get an award - just ask Harvey Weinstein. lol

The Academy is much larger membership base, is primarily old blue blood, based in the entertainment biz, and they frown on controversy.

he should've won for his role in brokeback mountain, all gay cowboy jokes aside.

Exactly my point.

Although PSH deserved the award more than Ledger, and the real *controversy* is why it lost to Crash for Best Pic.