• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Microchamber paper question--interleaving every page?

1 post in this topic

Based on the following paragraph sent by the Library of Congress, I have some questions......

One effective and functional approach to store a manuscript for the long term may be to interleave the individual sheets comprising the mauscript with alkaline paper and insert this package within an alkaline folder. A photocopied facsimile of the manuscript can be placed within a clear polysester jacket attached outside the folder to show what is inside. Whenever it becomes necessary to handle the manuscript, the photocopy can be pulled out of this jacket and manipulated rather than the original.

If one does the above mentioned "but" uses a larger-sized Mylar instead of an alkaline envelope, how would interleaving between every page with microchamber paper affect the structure of the comic? As we all know, adding paper to a book will increase its size. Having large sheets of microchamber that I pre-cut and place in my own comics, I decided to try an experiment. I placed a sheet in between every page of a comic and then inserted it into a "Super Golden Size" Mylar envelope because of its new thickness. Although flat once inside the Mylar and "then" in between the other comics, when not placed in either situation the book's pages fan out more. After time, even though it's somewhat flat in its current storage situation, will this affect the overall appearance of the book once it is removed and the microchamber is removed? Has anyone tried this?

Secondly, how would "just" having microchamber in between the covers affect the acidity of the entire book? I know that it would prevent bleeding to the covers and protect the first/last pages, but what about the rest of the book? If comic pages are truly like a sponge, would the microchamber paper pull the acids/aldehydes, etc. towards the front and back covers? If so, would it pull everything completely through, or leave acidic residue "on the way there"? Just curious what your take is concerning this....

Brent

babyblues31@cfl.rr.com