• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1946 Batman Movie That Never Was

9 posts in this topic

Povertyrow, have you seen this one? Mark Millar writes of reading a pre-publication bio of Orson Welles, in which he mentions almost filming a Batman movie in 1946. Check out the casting alone...

George Raft as Two-Face (after Bogart turned it down? 893whatthe.gif),

James Cagney as The Riddler, 893applaud-thumb.gif

Basil Rathbone as The Joker thumbsup2.gif

and Welles' former lover Marlene Dietrich as a very exotic Catwoman cloud9.gif

Read the article, but apparently the project fell through over a disagreement with the studio over whether Welles would be allowed to cast himself as Batman/Bruce Wayne, versus the studio's choice of Gregory Peck. 893frustrated.gif

WOW!

Can you imagine Batman if Welles had gotten to film it? Citizen Kane is the best movie of all time and just think about the innovative camera angles, shadows and light that Welles used on that film and then imagine a Batman film of the same caliber...woooooooooooo...

It would have been great.

I remember hitting the Saturday matinee, back in the 60s with my dad. We use to see old Batman and Flash Gordan serials(?) or something like that. But, I can't remember anything about them at all. Any clues? Seems like they were made in the 40s or 50s, not sure though. Of course, nothing on the caliber of something that Welles could have done.

Actually I remember the Flash Gordons, with Buster Crabbe(sp), but can't remember anything about Batman, except a really dark and sharp looking cape and mask, I think I probably kept my eyes closed most of the time, scared to death. grin.gif