• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified grade with interior signature & sketch

9 posts in this topic

I have a Qualified comic with a signature on the cover with the label notation reading "name written on cover in marker." Following this statement: "(Sketch & "To John! Best Wishes - Jeff" written on interior cover in pen)". I bought this comic slabbed so I've never seen the interior sketch, but, from the white areas on the cover, I can see that the area for the sketch & signature covers three to four square inches. I'm curious to know how much other comics' grades generally go down when an interior sig & sketch are taken into account.

I have a Qualified comic with a signature on the cover with the label notation reading "name written on cover in marker." Following this statement: "(Sketch & "To John! Best Wishes - Jeff" written on interior cover in pen)". I bought this comic slabbed so I've never seen the interior sketch, but, from the white areas on the cover, I can see that the area for the sketch & signature covers three to four square inches. I'm curious to know how much other comics' grades generally go down when an interior sig & sketch are taken into account.

My understanding of the (Q) label is that it gives a grade for the book, without taking into account the downgrade for the sketch and sig. Therefore if a book is 9.6 (Q) the book is structurally a 9.6 but has the unverified sketch and sig. It sounds to me like what you are asking is "What would the grade be in a blue label?"

If that is the question, my answer would be LOW, maybe even 4.0-5.0. This is just a WAG on my part, but I do have confirmation ( :P) that a water stain can take a 9.6 down to a 7.5.

Hope this helps,

--S.

My understanding is that the Qualified grade is for the front cover signature only since there are many blue labels with notations of interior signatures. My question regards the "interior signature" comics only and how much they're generally downgraded by these markings.

Once you're Qualified, you're Qualified and the grade is the structural one, minus any of the defects you have outlined.

CGC won't give a Qualified grade for a sig, then hammer it down using Universal criteria.

You would need to find a corresponding Blue Label book with a similar-sized internal sketch to make any sort of call, as these are likely graded individually due to size, position, whether it interferes with a story, potential ink runs, etc.

Is it an otherwise high grade book? Just curious at what grade level the signature begins detracting from the grade and it becomes a GLOD candidate.

The sig didn't seem to affect this one...

Superman11Blog.jpg

But then again, this was slabbed before CGC Signature Series existed. Submitted today, it might get a GLOD. (shrug)

But then again, this was slabbed before CGC Signature Series existed. Submitted today, it might get a GLOD. (shrug)

Yep, you keep that puppy nice and safe, as a single crack would drop the value significantly.

Is it an otherwise high grade book? Just curious at what grade level the signature begins detracting from the grade and it becomes a GLOD candidate.

It's an 8.5Q Bone #1 that looks like a 9.2/9.4 structurally. No NCB or CB creases on the front cover and two CB creases that each measure 1/8 of an inch on the back cover. All corners are sharp.

I have a Bone #2 9.2 Blue Label that looks to be a 9.6 but has the following notation on the label: Name & "To Craig! Best Wishes" written on interior cover in marker.

Following what joe_collector mentioned, the Q on the 8.5 takes care of all the signatures while the notation on the #2 had an actual effect on the grade. Is this close to the official word? Given how good the exterior of the 8.5 looks, I thought the interior markings took a hit on its grade.

It's an 8.5Q Bone #1 that looks like a 9.2/9.4 structurally. No NCB or CB creases on the front cover and two CB creases that each measure 1/8 of an inch on the back cover. All corners are sharp.

I have a Bone #2 9.2 Blue Label that looks to be a 9.6 but has the following notation on the label: Name & "To Craig! Best Wishes" written on interior cover in marker.

Following what joe_collector mentioned, the Q on the 8.5 takes care of all the signatures while the notation on the #2 had an actual effect on the grade. Is this close to the official word? Given how good the exterior of the 8.5 looks, I thought the interior markings took a hit on its grade.

A phone call to check on the grading notes would confirm whether that sketch was taken into account. Since I assume the sketch would have been done by the artist, noting that it is there and not reducing the grade, as JC said, makes sense and is my understanding of the purpose of the qualified label.

Yep, you keep that puppy nice and safe, as a single crack would drop the value significantly.

I don't plan on cracking it anytime soon, but thankfully it's a book whose value comes from the book... not the slab. So, If I ever did crack it and keep it raw, it still holds almost all of its "value."