• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 1 Splash Versus X-Men 1 Splash ! Kirby rules!!!

58 posts in this topic

The question isn't what's the story - the question is why come on here and write something that isn't true?

Dear all, apparently I've got the wrong story. I should not have said anything and just taken the high road. My apologies.

My recollection is that it was reported/rumoured that the art was sold on, as well as returned to owner. Whichever is the case, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme, but I guess it does.

Once again, I'm humbled by being simply not accurate.

Not taking sides here, but I think the issue is that the story was presented as hard fact. If there had been anything qualifying (e.g. "I heard", "I understand", "rumor has it", etc.), there would have at least been some room for more details.

So much of this hobby turns on rumor and innuendo...accurate reporting would be a benefit for all collectors.

If your true intention is to warn fellow board members and not ruin a sale then I guess it is better to bring something like this up and it turn out not to be true than not say anything and the new buyer has a REAL issue on their hands.

The main point here is that the Avengers 1 splash that was in the Fox 4 news story as a Garage sale find

is the same one as the current owner put on ebay and is 'THE REAL DEAL!" Thats all that matters right now. Lets be glad that it didn't get coloured in by the girl on that news story.

Clem

The question isn't what's the story - the question is why come on here and write something that isn't true?

No, the question IS "what's the story". :makepoint:

All the secret cloak and dagger s%$t that goes on with the high $ OA collectors in the hobby just breeds this type of supposed miss information. Keeping secrets is as much a part of the problem as the out and out lying that goes on.

All the secret cloak and dagger s%$t that goes on with the high $ OA collectors in the hobby just breeds this type of supposed miss information. Keeping secrets is as much a part of the problem as the out and out lying that goes on.

:sumo:

....yeah, but isn't that part of the 'fun' of this hobby.... ;)

....yeah, but isn't that part of the 'fun' of this hobby.... ;)

"The eagle flies at midnight..."

privateeye.jpg

...the rooster is in the hen house."

Please explain what is "Cloak & Dagger" about contacting the guy yourself? You have his eBay ID and he has a CAF page! What is clandestine about that?

Like anything in life, if you want to educate yourself - you have to do the work!

Please explain what is "Cloak & Dagger" about contacting the guy yourself? You have his eBay ID and he has a CAF page! What is clandestine about that?

Like anything in life, if you want to educate yourself - you have to do the work!

zzz

I'm curious how that garage seller knew to take it to Heritage based just on the date of her "coloring pages". Had they ever used Heritage before? You find some coloring pages for $2 and think hmm perhaps these have value. Perhaps we should take them to a local comic store and ask what they are? Nahh lets just go straight to Heritage. Not Sotheby's or Christy's or another auction house people not in the know have heard of before but Heritage....

They went to Mark Hays, a comic store owner first I recall...

Ha! Mark should have offered to double the Washington's money.. $4 bucks to take that junk of your hands (;-) and I'll throw in a box of crayons for good measure.

Clem

The page was lost in the parking lot at DFW along with several other pieces of art and a movie poster that were being delivered to various parties. After visiting a dealer and figuring out the pages were worth something (probably could have called the name/phone number that was written several times on the package), they contacted Heritage to bring the art in for examination. When the art was brought in, it was quickly realized these were the stolen/missing pages and the police were called. The garage sale story was quickly fabricated, and the issue of ownership went to court. When it became obvious in court that the people were not going to get anything the lawyer asked if there was a reward that could be claimed for the art, and then asked the judge if he could at least be awarded legal fees lol .