• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Image worth slabbing?

31 posts in this topic

I think it's time I submitted another batch of comics. Nothing like the anticipation and reward of getting those grades back! :grin:

So, since I'm in the UK it goes without saying that I do no less than a full batch of 30 every time (shipping costs you see). I have a dozen or so nice coppers awaiting the treatment, but need to make up the numbers.

How about some early Image?

Back in the early 90s I bought as much of that drek as everyone else. Didn't even read most of it, just bagged and boarded and filed away. Embarrassed to admit it now :blush:

Anyway, which if any of it is worth slabbing? Stuff like Spawn 1-20, The Maxx, WildCATS, Youngblood, Tribe, and all the other stuff Image put out in it's first year. Yes I know the print runs were astronomical and everybody stored 3 pristine copies of each as an 'investment', but still, maybe some of it is worth the grading fee in 9.8?

And Grail$ collects Maxx in 9.8, so he'd probably be interested in those ...

Btw, submit some more Sandman - preferably ones that are not in my registry set (thumbs u

I might just do that. I know I've got at least one more Sandman #1 with a shot at 9.8 too :)

Think I only have the first 3 issues of Maxx. Nice covers on them.

Should have 3 x Spawn #1, so might include those.

True - 12 month GPA avg. for a Spawn #1 CGC 9.8 is only $44.25.

Not surprising really, since we all bought multiple mint copies and carefully stashed them lol

So Spawn #1 is just about worth it. Of course, in the unlikely event of 9.9 (OMG) and 10.0 (OMFG!) it's definitely worth it! But that seems to be pot luck.

#2, 4 and 5 have peaked sharply with $80/90 sales recently. People working on registry sets? hm

Maybe I should check them all for double covers!

Back in the early 90s I bought as much of that drek as everyone else.

Not "everyone else". :insane:

So you're the guy who didn't rush out to buy Spawn #1! I heard you existed but never thought I'd actually meet you (worship)

Spawn #1 in 9.8 goes for some decent change

I think Spawn 1 does about $45-$60 in a 9.8. Probably not worth slabbing.

Anything worth that is slab worthy (shrug)

Not for me it isn't. I guess each person is different.

If you have a 3 dollar book sitting around and it comes back 9.8 and you fetch 40 bucks for it... that comes out to a 26 dollar profit not counting shipping and fees. Multiply that by a bulk of books (thumbs u . I've made serious profit off of Modern X-Men I won on ebay

Back in the early 90s I bought as much of that drek as everyone else.

Not "everyone else". :insane:

So you're the guy who didn't rush out to buy Spawn #1! I heard you existed but never thought I'd actually meet you (worship)

lol

Spawn #1 in 9.8 goes for some decent change

I think Spawn 1 does about $45-$60 in a 9.8. Probably not worth slabbing.

Anything worth that is slab worthy (shrug)

Not for me it isn't. I guess each person is different.

If you have a 3 dollar book sitting around and it comes back 9.8 and you fetch 40 bucks for it... that comes out to a 26 dollar profit not counting shipping and fees. Multiply that by a bulk of books (thumbs u . I've made serious profit off of Modern X-Men I won on ebay

Shiping to CGC, back from CGC, ebay and paypal fees probably take another $5 minimum off of that profit. So say you make $21 profit of each cheapie book you sell, but who hits 100% on 9.8s?? I usually hit about 75-85% on the books I think will 9.8. I would imagine these 9.6s are selling for like $5-$15 at most and you are really lowering your profit margin. It just isn't worth it for me unless it is at least a $75 9.8. Just my 2 cents.

The profit is actually a bit less than that - I did the calculation for fun yesterday, and here's how it breaks down ... btw, this is based on sending in at least 10 books, you getting a 9.8 on all the books and the books selling on ebay for $40 each.

Cost of book = $3.00

Shipping to CGC = $1.50

CGC grading fee = $15.00

CGC shipping fee = $4.00

eBay listing fee = $0.15

eBay FVF = $3.80

PayPayl fee = $1.46

Total cost: $28.91

So you'd make about $11 on the book ...

The profit is actually a bit less than that - I did the calculation for fun yesterday, and here's how it breaks down ... btw, this is based on sending in at least 10 books, you getting a 9.8 on all the books and the books selling on ebay for $40 each.

Cost of book = $3.00

Shipping to CGC = $1.50

CGC grading fee = $15.00

CGC shipping fee = $4.00

eBay listing fee = $0.15

eBay FVF = $3.80

PayPayl fee = $1.46

Total cost: $28.91

So you'd make about $11 on the book ...

That's about what I thought. It just seems different when you think you are paying $15 for the grading and you see the $40-$45 sale price. When you do the math it is a waste of time (even if you hit 100% 9.8s).

Exactly, but you'll notice that the *buyers* just love sucking people into submitting this type of book, as it's usually less expensive to just pay FMV on EBay than to actually submit it themselves.

And EBay is packed full of suckers with their $40 CGC 9.8's... and stacks of near-worthless CGC 9.4 and 9.6 copies. :insane: