• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Hari "Lead Foot" Heartened and Gene "Autobahn" Delekkerste Go Driving!

47 posts in this topic

As for the questions, I think the price is now $1,495 for the basic program (check the website for details; they also have different programs like the 200 mph program at an airstrip). We drove around various local roads in the Catskill mountains area of New York (about 2 hours north of NYC). I'd say the top speeds varied; I think people were able to get up to as high as 120-125 mph but in very short bursts (I didn't get that high but I think Hari did). We started with breakfast and a driving orientation at 7am and then headed out about 7:30am for about 4 hours. Since there were 10 participants and 5 cars, each person got about 2 hours of driving time.

All 5 cars plus an awesome Bentley that served as the lead/pace car. We had a fabulous time, so much so that we might do it again next summer - if anyone in the area has any interest, let us know! :headbang:

The Ashokan Reservoir, that's 15 minutes from my house. You bastards!

What handicapped spot? :shrug:

Ah, man, I just got back from a two day trip and see this thread! This was a total blast of a weekend for me and Gene, and we'll definitely do it again next year. I'm sure the second time would be even more fun as we'll know the drill.

Gene, I second your comments about making good friends in this hobby. You, Dave, Brian, Joseph, Chris, etc. etc. Great guys who I'm happy to count as friends.

It looked like a fun weekend but the ol' trauma surgeon in me begs to ask the question: "What about safety?"

I would've been worried about the DEP cops. They would have a mess fit if they caught anyone blasting over 100. They are bigger hard asses than the Troopers and crawl all over that area due to the reservoir.

It looked like a fun weekend but the ol' trauma surgeon in me begs to ask the question: "What about safety?"

You're right. Gene, next time we need to bring Stephen in case we get into trouble. Thanks Stephen! (thumbs u

I would've been worried about the DEP cops. They would have a mess fit if they caught anyone blasting over 100. They are bigger hard asses than the Troopers and crawl all over that area due to the reservoir.

Those cops were always in the same spot, and we simply slowed down at their headquarters (we drove past it at least 3 times). I think they were too busy hugging trees to notice.

There was some really beautiful scenery along the way, although I kept my eyes glued on the road ahead the whole way. It was like one big roller coaster..... really.

Still safer than the Kawasaki Ninja I rode all through high school, college and med school ;) Then, yeah, I wised up after going through med school and seeing all the trauma. And, of course, the real sinker was getting married. No way my wife would let me ride a motorcycle today, unless we were in the hicks, and even then she'd freak out.

Those cops were always in the same spot, and we simply slowed down at their headquarters (we drove past it at least 3 times). I think they were too busy hugging trees to notice.

There was some really beautiful scenery along the way, although I kept my eyes glued on the road ahead the whole way. It was like one big roller coaster..... really.

Just imagine how cool it would be to do this program in Germany.

All 5 cars plus an awesome Bentley that served as the lead/pace car. We had a fabulous time, so much so that we might do it again next summer - if anyone in the area has any interest, let us know! :headbang:
(worship)

Glad to hear you had fun...

Hmm. Well, I'll actually be in Munich August 29th throug September 3rd. How much to rent a Ferrari? :)

Hmm. Well, I'll actually be in Munich August 29th throug September 3rd. How much to rent a Ferrari? :)

I'd go for it if I were you!

Elite Car Rentals - Germany

They were on open road, and had a lead-out car. Now, if they'd been on track or a closed course, I definitely wouldn't have gotten in without at least a 6-point harness and a helmet. Ideally, a roll cage, too (if not that, at least a bolt-in roll bar).

Now you've got me thinking!

Definitely do it, although the Autobahns around Munich are notoriously crowded so it's often hard to get up to max speed. Still, you should find a few stretches that you should be able to get up to 125 mph without a problem. And, there are some great backroads around Ingolstadt (if memory serves), a bit north of Munich, where you can drive around 80 mph with lots o' twists and turns through very scenic countryside.

One of the best stretches I ever found for pure speed was Autobahn 7 close to the Fulda Gap, which was not only surprisingly empty but also had long stretches running downhill. I got my BMW 728 close to 150 mph, which was one of the more frightening things I've ever done. When I slowed back down to 100 mph, I felt like everything was moving in slow motion.

You might want to look into renting an Audi RS4 - it's got the same engine as the Audi RS8 supercar (~420 horsepower) and comes in much less expensive to rent, lower-key station wagon and sedan versions. It's the autobahn weapon of choice for those seeking the most bang for their euro. hm