• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Hari "Lead Foot" Heartened and Gene "Autobahn" Delekkerste Go Driving!

47 posts in this topic

I have to say that the best part about the comic & OA hobby, bar none, is the people you meet and the friends you make. Some of the friends I have made since getting back into the hobby in 1999, and joining the CGC Boards and picking up OA collecting in 2002, I now count among my best friends in the world. It's also great when you find that you have other common interests besides comic books.

To that end, a couple of weekends ago, me and Hari (Heartened) and another friend of mine went up to the Catskills here in New York and participated in the World Class Driving program (worldclassdriving.com), which was a total blast! Growing up in southern California, I grew up with the car culture and in recent years it has become a bigger and bigger passion for me (maybe even more than comics at the moment).

I'm not sure if any of you guys are automobile aficionados, but we thought it would be fun to share some pix from the weekend...enjoy!

Here's me and Hari with the 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera:

61879-1.jpg.jpg.24feda0775ad74d6f277509ed9eaef92.jpg

Hari behind the wheel of a 2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano. Worth more than the entire Kirby X-Men #1 OA, especially when you include the $150K premium for first-time Ferrari buyers (the premium is $75K for the F430):

61880-2.jpg.JPG.17a667f29a4e81258431a407208a6a72.JPG

Behind the wheel of a Callaway-modified Corvette, which I can only describe as "terrifyingly fast" and probably the most fun to drive of any of these awesome cars!

61881-3.jpg.JPG.583d9b9c164e22e6a378fa1484c8ab5e.JPG

"Hari's Maserati does 185...he lost his license, and now he don't drive..."

Well, I don't think this 2008 Maserati GranTurismo gets quite up to 185, but at least it's pretty to look at! Though, considering the other cars we were driving, it was definitely the most pedestrian of the lot.

61882-4.jpg.JPG.3f9b602efe56cf392c0020bca66d43f5.JPG

Behind the wheel of the half-million dollar Mercedes-McLaren SLR, which was both terrifyingly fast and flat-out terrifying to drive. You definitely got the sense you could wrap yourself around a telephone pole if you weren't careful with this beast.

61883-5.jpg.jpg.e848e38499ee950daca0f67be839bfb5.jpg

All 5 cars plus an awesome Bentley that served as the lead/pace car. We had a fabulous time, so much so that we might do it again next summer - if anyone in the area has any interest, let us know! :headbang:

61885-7.jpg.JPG.f83663dc31f2ae03aa60a2b76a76e1b5.JPG

Hey fellas, nice pix. Where's all the gorgeous women that are supposed to come with the cars ;)

We couldn't afford to pay for them too. :o

lol at least you're honest. Your Aston Martin would have fit right in with those incredible sets of cars. Do you mind me asking what the price was for this little weekend jaunt ? I love cars and would love to do this sort of thing.

Great pix Gene (and Hari), thanks for sharing! (thumbs u

And awesome cars.... :cloud9:

I've not driven anything that modern, but grew up in rural Illinois with a lot of gearheads and muscle car owners. I was fortunate to have friends with vintage ponies and Shelbys as well as original hemis and modified big blocks. Brutish power, but compared to those ultra-sweet supercars you drove they probably wheel like souped up shopping carts.

So did you all drive on a track (I assume one at a time in each car), and how fast did they allow you to go? Or how fast did you go?

I did the Richard Petty NASCAR experience with some buddies and my wife at the KC Speedway for my 40th a few years ago and it was a total blast, but not a one of us topped out anywhere near what a professional driver can do. My hat is off to anybody who can drive a track at speeds of 160+. It takes skill, cojones, and trust in the car.

It looks as if the guy (Gene?) standing by the Lamborghini Superleggera was so excited his head exploded. And nearest to the Callaway Vette, another guy sprung a leak in his neck.

As a few Boardies know, I've been interested in high-performance driving for years, and occasionally instruct at the Porsche, Audi, and BMW HPD schools. But my ride is a Spec E30 Bimmer, so it's nowhere near as fun as ANY of those beautiful machines. Having said that, though, my life would be complete if I ever had the chance to get behind the wheel of a GT Carrera.

Behind the wheel of a Callaway-modified Corvette, which I can only describe as "terrifyingly fast" and probably the most fun to drive of any of these awesome cars!

61881-3.jpg.JPG

And parked in a handicapped spot. :o

Nice. (tsk)

Real Nice. (tsk) (tsk)

C