• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLLECTORS "PAL"

6 posts in this topic

This guy is a real joke. Look at his description in his Flash 105 auction.

893naughty-thumb.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32732&item=2201949395

My favorite part is this:

CGC highest grade copies, especially in the 9.2 and above range, from this era easily sell for 4 to 6 times guide a good example would be the recent sale ( November 2, 2003 is that recent enough for ya) of a Amazing Spiderman #5 1st Doc Doom CGC 9.4 which guides out in overstreet at $2500.00 it sold for $13,500.0 more than 5 times guide value I could give you more examples but I am sure if you are looking at this auction as a bidder you know what I have here. Overstreet guide on this puts this book at $6491.00 being conservative and giving it a multiplier of 4 its highest grade value is $25,964.00 being that it has moderate restoration it would put this highest grade copy at approximately $15,578.00. All of this is subjective and will be adjusted by the market and demand for a high quality book such as this but I am just trying to take a conservative look at this great investment.

What a dishonest description, to end up saying that a restored book should go for DOUBLE the unrestored 9.0 value. AND THEN HE SAYS HE IS TRYING TO TAKE A CONSERVATIVE LOOK AT THINGS. This guy should be banned from ebay. I hope he is not a forum member, because his tactics are despicable. sign-rantpost.gif

Could you imagine trying to sell this guy your collection. He would probably use numbers games to try to convince you to pay HIM to take YOUR collection of your hands.

'nuff said

Yesterday's post on my comics blog:

The Flash Comics #105(1959) Superman CGC 9.2 Moderate (A)

"CGC highest grade copies, especially in the 9.2 and above range, from this era easily sell for 4 to 6 times guide a good example would be the recent sale ( November 2, 2003 is that recent enough for ya) of a Amazing Spiderman #5 1st Doc Doom CGC 9.4 which guides out in overstreet at $2500.00 it sold for $13,500.0 more than 5 times guide value I could give you more examples but I am sure if you are looking at this auction as a bidder you know what I have here. Overstreet guide on this puts this book at $6491.00 being conservative and giving it a multiplier of 4 its highest grade value is $25,964.00 being that it has moderate restoration it would put this highest grade copy at approximately $15,578.00. All of this is subjective and will be adjusted by the market and demand for a high quality book such as this but I am just trying to take a conservative look at this great investment. "

Whatever this guy has been smoking- sign me right up. A restored book selling for 2.5x guide? Even a tough book like this one? That's just crazy talk. Especially since he's conspicuously ignored divulging the information contained in the "Restoration includes:" line...

AND he's a keyword spammer! Throwing Superman in the title just for kicks smile.gif

[edit] GPA was down earlier so I couldn't search for any sales, but they have an MP 9.0 in their records for $580.00. That seems like an impossibly low price to me, but still... More telling is the highest unrestored sale, a 9.0 - $8,625.00. How likely is getting double THAT for a restored book?

I contacted the seller, the restoration is pretty significant:

"Color Touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned, reinforced"

At first, by the eBay user ID I thought this might be Gary Dolgoff, who uses the tagline, "collector's pal". After seeing the Rhode Island location and reading the particulars of the book, I don't think this "cpllector's pal"[sic] is Gary, though. I remember Gary from his days in NYC, where he had a huge warehouse collection from which he sold books at fair prices. sign-offtopic.gif

At first, by the eBay user ID I thought this might be Gary Dolgoff, who uses the tagline, "collector's pal". After seeing the Rhode Island location and reading the particulars of the book, I don't think this "cpllector's pal"[sic] is Gary, though. I remember Gary from his days in NYC, where he had a huge warehouse collection from which he sold books at fair prices. sign-offtopic.gif

Gary Dolgoff is on ebay:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/gdcomics/

His warehouse is in Easthampton, MA now.