• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Use caution when dealing with this ebay seller.

24 posts in this topic

I find this response troublesome. Staple replacement is restoration. That is a fact, not an 'opinion' of CGC. There is nothing subjective about it.

Maybe he's using Overstreet's definitions? From the Grading Guide, 2nd Edition, page 164:

"Any staple can be replaced on books up to Fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from Very Fine to Near Mint. Mint books must have original staples". .Maybe his argument is that he used vintage staples?

But I agree with you, and books with any staples replaced should be considered restored.

I didn't know that. doh! That does leave room for sellers to be vague.

I'd consider a book with replaced staples to be restored in all cases as well.

If you are taking a CGC slabbed book, cracking it out, and selling it raw on eBay without showing (or reporting all detail from) the label...

...I don't know about that. Reminds me of the behavior of another unsavory character. In this case we are not 'salting the mine' but we sure are reluctant to report CGC's opinion of the book - in the name of increasing sales price.

On the other hand, saying anything at all about the staples post deslabbing and relist is...well...-something-. I concur with the uneasyness of the original poster - seller is toeing the line.

If you are taking a CGC slabbed book, cracking it out, and selling it raw on eBay without showing (or reporting all detail from) the label...

...I don't know about that. Reminds me of the behavior of another unsavory character. In this case we are not 'salting the mine' but we sure are reluctant to report CGC's opinion of the book - in the name of increasing sales price.

On the other hand, saying anything at all about the staples post deslabbing and relist is...well...-something-. I concur with the uneasyness of the original poster - seller is toeing the line.

Toeing the line.. I have to remember that little gem.